The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Dragonmarks are feats you can take on new characters after you run a character through a certain Marketplace quest, yes. You have to take them either when you get a new feat (which you should get another one at level 6) or have the feat swapped out.

Fred the Mindflayer can swap feats out for you, but it costs a good bit. More useful later to dump feats that you take at low levels to make surviving to the high levels easier, but otherwise have limited value.

Quite frankly, they're useless save for the Halfling one. The Halfling Mark of Healing gives you CLW, CSW, and Heal for free, and for anyone who has a spare three feats can help out quite a bit. The others are situational at best, and generally a waste of scarce feat slots.

But as a Fighter you get more feats than anyone else, so you could spare the slots, if you truly want to.

DDO upgrade 4 is now available and needed before playing so please remember to do the upgrade well ahead of the time of playing (Friday nights CET).

Indeed. I wonder if there's any significant additions? I know there was at least one new adventure pack added, but we won't be able to buy it just yet from what I understand. They're leaving it VIP only, to make them feel a little special.

I think it's really only for very high level chars.

Both my characters are now level 7 and I got the +2 tome of supremacy for both of them. So all my stats increased by 2. So my level 7 characters can play level 9 quests and still hope to survive. :)

From playing in several groups on DDO I noticed that the most important factor for surviving quests is NOT the characters and levels, but the people playing. Some a really stupid and then the group will suffer. Others play as a coherent group and then we can do a lot. I'm quite frustrated at times being in a group with a PC always doing something else and ends up dead. Then the entire group falls apart and people leave in disgust. So you've spent a lot of time in the dungeon and received almost no XP. To make it worse you get an XP penalty for re-entering the dungeon.

So having a group of people who play as a group can make up for many levels. :)

While I say you should at least give it a try, since you're only out some time (it's free!), I agree with Peter wholeheartedly. Not only is the quality of the players far more important than what they players have for finishing quests, but for being fun as well.

There's plenty of good players in DDO. However, they are scattered across 20 levels, some 7 (technically 8) servers, and with differing content that they have access to. And they are outnumbered by bad players; whether by build or attitudes.

I've not been playing my Paladin since she's 3 levels above the guild as is. I pulled my FvS up to 5, so Friday we'll have decent healing, and some CC beyond whatever Corwin brings (assuming Wizard). Unless he wants/needs to bring his Rogue, in which case I might bring my Sorc.

Thrasher, if/when you do try it out, post here. We're on Khyber, so if you're there, I can hop on and lend a hand if you want. If you catch me at the right time, I might even have some stuff I can't use that I haven't sold yet.

Thank you for the offer!

I have been intrigued about DDO for literally years (being an old school DnD player from the beginning - think 1st edition gray box), but finding friends who want to play has been the trick. I'd like to have the time to try it out!

Peter, as you are now 4 levels above some players, Jo's Monk for example, that would be a severe XP penalty for her and at least a 25% XP penalty for level 4 chars. I feel that is unfair. I think you need to create a NEW level 4 char to play with the group until the rest of us catch up to within the 2 level difference allowed. I don't feel the benefits of your higher level skills outweigh the XP loss. What are the thoughts of the others?

Well, if we ran in level 7 quests, the value might be in the loot we get. You can get +3 or +4 items, or flaming weapons etc... which are a definite upgrade compared to what we get now.

Running STK or other stuff more our level, then no. That's why I'm not running my Paladin with the guild anymore, at least until they catch up. It's no challenge to me, and detrimental to everyone.

I won't tell anyone to bring anything they don't want to, so if Peter brings his regular characters, that's fine by me.

Thrasher - That's what interested me at first, but I don't go with the pay to play stuff. While DDO has been different, every MMO I've tried, I've played in spurts. Paying 2-3 months when I'm not playing is a no-go for me.

If you're a good player, you'll have no trouble finding people on there eventually. Especially if you run a Cleric; you'll be inundated with invites. And I'm low level enough on several characters that there shouldn't be much of an issue once you break out of Korthos.

Rachail, Mureall, Suisaidh, and Mirie are my alts on Khyber. I'm also on Sarlona, as Grimmlck, though that's rare. I usually just test things out there, my main playtime is on Khyber.

I feel we should play out the level 3-5 quests we've bought:- STK, Tangleroot, 3 Barrel Cove, etc before buying more quests. I don't know what F2P quests are available yet for the higher levels as I haven't looked. Some of our group 'struggle' to afford the P2P quests, so not to do them would be wrong. I also think playing a Char that is detrimental to everyone else's XP would also be wrong. With a shared bank, it doesn't take long to equip a new level 4 vet char.

Like Az, I play mainly on Khyber but I do have some remade level 4's on Cannith. Took me less than 2 hours to complete every Korthos quest except Misery Peak with a newly made vet rogue including all rares on Cannith yesterday just to get a few clickies!! :)

Plus, we have the Guild on Khyber!!

Yeah, I still haven't run most of Sharn, actually, even on my Paladin. Keep getting stuck with having to protect the snots in Bookbinder; they die before I reach them even on normal, and I don't have the excess healing to deal with them.

I have some of the higher level stuff already, but it gets to be more party-oriented the higher up you get. There are some quests that can't be completed with a single character completely, or at all. Then again, I bought them because I had the spare points, and figured I could run them and give my thoughts, helping prevent wasting points for anyone else who might be on a little lower income.

I don't even go to Korthos with my vet builds except to get those bracers I like. I was actually on Sarlona earlier tonight, running a new Ranger, just to see how they are. Never ran one before tonight. (No, I'm not deleting anyone just to run one on Khyber. I'm happy with my current characters, so if I do add one, it will have to be by buying a character slot or TR).

I mainly run Korthos for the helmet quest. With bracers of armor +4, not sure if I really needed to get the spear banes for my rogue!! :) That was on Cannith.

Yeah, if you get those Black Widow Bracers, that should help negate more damage than just the 3DR.

I just ran STK with my monk solo. It was easy save for the STK2 and STK3 end fights, both of which made me drain my dragonmarks and pots. It's no huge issue, as I put so many pots into my bank with my Paladin and FvS, I had an extra stack of 100. It also pushed my to level 5.

Now I have a ring that grants +3 DEX and +1 AC (effectively 2 AC). My DES is 22, 24 in the lesser wind stance, with a +7 modifier. And I got an upgrade to my Monk AC bonus and immunity to disease.

So today, I managed to level two characters, one of which was about 20k off when I started. Not bad. Both are pretty cheap to run, the FvS because she handles all her own healing, and the Monk because my FvS handles all her own healing, and just dumps pots in the bank. I also apparently had another muckbane.

I think we'll call you the Muckbane King!! lol Haven't had a chance to get on and play today. Might do so now; you've inspired me!! :)

We don't have many level 3 characters. Most are 4 and some are 5. I've been in many groups with 4 levels apart between characters and that didn't actually harm XP. Remember that we can always select quests on hard or elite and then the level of the quest is increased and you get more XP.

So you can definitely select quests of level 3-5 as a level 7 character. People with the lowest levels will quickly advance in levels to at least 4. So it's not like Joe will be level 3 for long.

Many of the quest series that start at level 3-5 increase with the chapters. E. g. Tangleroot gorge start at level 4 or 5 and end at level 7-8. It's 7 chapters.

From playing I see that it's normal to have a spread of character levels in groups. We just need to adjust the difficulty accordingly.

We now have lots of characters in our guild (I only have 2). Why do we create so many characters if we don't play them up from level 2-3? Why not start as veteran (level 4) if you want to start a new character? If you start a new one you can always play solo and with pug's to get to level 4 instead of spending our Friday guild slot replaying the same quests again so new characters can level up.

We have enough characters to play level 5-8 quests so why not focus on that instead of beginning all over again?

I've played most of the low level quests (level 7 and below) and I think we can have fun with those from all characters from level 3-7.

I think I've found my characters (1 cleric and 1 paladin) and don't think it's fun to make new ones that will become the same as these characters. I think it's best to use the guild Fridays with the same characters (or one alternate) instead of playing with new ones each time (often newly created ones). That's the reason we have a spread now. So if you want to play level 3 characters then I propose you play on without me.

Still, we haven't seen an XP loss you're afraid of if we select hard difficulty. Since e. g. my characters have played the quests we can at least do them on hard if I enter first. Then you get more XP, more favour and better loot. That means you level up faster.

I just made a check of characters in the guild. We have:
3 level 7
5 level 5
7 level 4
1 level 3

So it's only Joe's monk that's level 3. That one should quickly get to 4 or higher. So I don't think our spread is that big. Most characters have been online the last week so it seems you play them to get to level 4 and 5 rather quickly. E. g. with level 4-5 characters in a hard level 5 quest with 1-2 level 7 characters you can actually get more XP than usual and better loot.

Of all the times to get sick I am sick as of today and it's getting worse. So, don't wait up for me to join this Friday. If I feel up to sitting and playing I will be here. I just wanted to give a heads up in case I'm not here. My level 4 fighter will be with you in spirit if not in game. :) *keeps fingers crossed* that I'll feel better in 2 days time!

Back
Top Bottom