Larian Studios - The Halo Effect

So what do you think might be better this year? Our tastes seem fairly similar judging by what I've seen of your posts, so kinda curious.

And the last decade of RPGs has been really bad. Saying D:OS is the best RPG in that timespan is more a statement on that decade than anything else.

Last edited:
And the last decade of RPGs has been really bad. Saying D:OS is the best RPG in that timespan is more a statement on that decade than anything else.
I'm sorry but don't take this personally as every time I hear this I roll my eyes.:roll:

The last decade of RPGs may have been bad to some you, but some of us had no problem. I enjoyed playing plenty of RPG's in the last ten years.

Just read the following thread for what I mean.:)

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061278170#post1061278170

Last edited:
Game of the year for me right now would be a virtual dead heat between Might and Magic Ten, and Blackguards. I enjoyed the heck out of both those games, and in both cases far more than I initially thought I might. Of course, the year isn't quite over yet, so we'll see what happens.

Still got Blackguards in "the queue" here so dunno about that one, but yeah M&M X was great. Always been partial to isometric over blobber, though, so D:OS easily comes out on top there for me.

At least I wasn't suckered into the CE of Legends of Dawn; Those just shipped out 15 months after the game's digital release.

It's funny you should mention that... as one of the suckers, I just received mine last week. I had actually forgotten all about it. So I was rather happily surprised to find this box on my doorstep. But yes, they were WAY late.

I'm sorry but don't take this personally as every time I hear this I roll my eyes.:roll:

The last decade of RPGs may have been bad to some you, but some of us had no problem. I enjoyed playing plenty of RPG's in the last ten years.

Just read the following thread for what I mean.:)

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061278170#post1061278170

No, what was bad was the time between gold box games/older rpg's and when the infinity engine games came out....seriously that was a dead time.

No, what was bad was the time between gold box games/older rpg's and when the infinity engine games came out….seriously that was a dead time.

Seriously dead. I mean we only got games like Wiz 7, Darksun, Might and Magic: Worlds of Xeen, Fallout 1, Ultima 7 (and part2) and a few other games not even worth mentioning ;)

Seriously dead. I mean we only got games like Wiz 7, Darksun, Might and Magic: Worlds of Xeen, Fallout 1, Ultima 7 (and part2) and a few other games not even worth mentioning ;)

Yeah - Darklands, Albion, Anvil of Dawn, Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Amberstar, Ambermoon, Exile, Arena, Daggerfall, Stonekeep… :)

If I'm asked about good RPG's in the last decade (plus a few years), I'd have to pinpoint them to the PS2. What a great system for RPG's that was. If you prefer quality over quantity, even better than PSX.

Couch, the thread you're reffering to in regards to the last decade doesn't make sense as proof the last decade has been ok. You yourself agreed with HiddenX in that post, as do I. And he only mentioned games released the last year, stating that 2014 changed everything. To me the decade before that was if not a vacuum then at least pretty damn empty...

Of course there are exeptions, I wouldn't claim that we haven't had any good RPG's in the last ten years, but they sure are few greats in my book.

While this year, I'm already at three RPG's I would call great, maybe four. And the year hasn't ended yet. Kickstarter is the best thing that's happened to the RPG genre in the last ten years (IMO of course).

Wait, there was athat dead period between those and the modern rpgs...I'm not sure which exact years but it was dead...Ican remember going back to world of xeen and the others at the time.

Nice sarcasm btw.

The very middle of the 90s had a pretty bad dead period of 2 or 3 years. During the first person shooter revolution.

The very middle of the 90s had a pretty bad dead period of 2 or 3 years. During the first person shooter revolution.

Seems so much longer when you look back on it....I'm getting old:p

Ah yes, I do remember that time. It was 1994 and Doom 2 had been released. With either myself or my friend lugging our "50 pound" PCs along with our "50 Pound" CRT monitors to each other's house, so we could connect our PCs with a null modem cable and play via LAN using the old IPX network protocol. Ah yes, Doom 2 helped bridge the gap of that period of somewhat RPG doldrums. Doom 2 was really the only time I became infatuated with multiplayer FPS games.

Couch, the thread you're reffering to in regards to the last decade doesn't make sense as proof the last decade has been ok. You yourself agreed with HiddenX in that post, as do I. And he only mentioned games released the last year, stating that 2014 changed everything. To me the decade before that was if not a vacuum then at least pretty damn empty…

Well I don't feel like typing out the RPGs I enjoyed playing in the last ten years.;)

My list would contain at least fifty RPGs so I can't agree with the opinion the last decade was terrible. So I will continue to roll my eyes every time I hear someone say this.

You can blame first person shooters… I blame Diablo.
Diablo actually came out right around the time that lull ended, so doesn't make sense to blame it. Though we can blame it for plenty of other things - I do.

Well I don't feel like typing out the RPGs I enjoyed playing in the last ten years.;)
The issue isn't that there weren't any enjoyable RPGs during that period. There were some. The issue is that there was an industry-wide decline in the quality of RPGs, so they generally weren't as good as they were previously, in various areas. Just look at BioWare's progression over that time period as a decent example of the industry as a whole. Compare Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect 3 and the decline should be fairly evident to any RPG diehard.

My point being: creating a list of the RPGs you enjoyed during that period wouldn't prove anything. You'd have to do a comparison of RPGs from that decade (~2005 through 2013) to RPGs from before. That's an exercise that wouldn't turn out very well for the last decade. The Codex's recent "top RPGs of all time" list is a great example of such an exercise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom