Mass Effect - How It Took Over the World @ CVG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CVG has a piece on the evolution of the Mass Effect series, arguing that BioWare has found the "near-perfect" combination of RPG and mass-market accessibility:
With ME2, that growth wasn't undeserved. Bioware responded quickly and accurately to every major criticism of the first game, and kept pace with the trends in gaming. They stripped out the Mako sections and devoted a whole team to improving the combat; the result is a much smoother cover shooter with tactile, punchy guns.
Without ever compromising the powerful element of player choice, Bioware tweaked their RPG into a near-perfect hybrid of traditional role-playing and modern action games. The sales confirmed it was exactly what gamers were looking for.
ME3 is going further. If one word could describe the new combat system, it would be 'heavy'. Weapons fire slower, sound deeper and pack more punch. Melée is no longer a playful slap: each character class has a different instant takedown performed with the holographic blade. The cover system has kept pace: you can now sneak around corners and dive from cover to cover. It's effective enough that it actually adds a stealth element.
More information.

Just another ass kissing story on how Bioware created the perfect game there almost as numerous as the hate posts.:wall:

They think it's a near-perfect combination?

That's it. I give up. Give me a rocking chair and a cane because I'm done. My life will now consist of sitting on the front porch and telling these damn kids to "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!"

They think it's a near-perfect combination?

That's it. I give up. Give me a rocking chair and a cane because I'm done. My life will now consist of sitting on the front porch and telling these damn kids to "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!"

No let me get off my lawn you whipper snapper. Don't make me walk over there.:p

Uh.

I think I'm done with this franchise as well.

What do these writers actually try to accomplish with all of these "ME/Bioware is King !" articles ?

Just another ass kissing story

In the German language, there is the highly-insulting term of "crawling into one's ass". And such a person is called an "ass-crawler".

CVG said:
Mass Effect 3 is going to be the biggest game of 2012
A bit early to the party. Hype much?

CVG said:
and the series has come to define this generation of games.
Sorry, what? How has it defined this generation of games? Is combining a clumsy cover shooter with RPG elements the defining moment of this generation? Really?! Not buying it.

CVG said:
It's a smarter kind of blockbuster: one where the space conflict is undershot with moral conflict, and player choice drives both.
What? I don't even…

I give up! I give up. Yeah right, CVG, yeah right.

Without ever compromising the powerful element of player choice, Bioware tweaked their RPG into a near-perfect hybrid of traditional role-playing and modern action games. The sales confirmed it was exactly what gamers were looking for.

No. This is probably the greatest hogwash I have seen in quite some time, a perfect example of how complete idiots interpret statistics. It's quite easy to come up with plenty of third-factors to explain why Mass Effect 2 sold well.

Most likely people who play Mass Effect 1 also play Mass Effect 2 to see the story that the game was well praised for and many who bought Mass Effect 1 did so because they loved KOTOR which according to gamerankings is one of the top rated CRPG's of all time. The changes in gameplay from Biowares earlier titles and ME1 as well as the changes in gameplay from Me1 to Me2 probably did absolute zero in increasing sales. I do not know of anyone who would say "Oh, gameplay have been improved in the sequel to a game I never played, so I gotta have it!".

Boiled down to it, ME was a crippled RPG and an average poor-mans shooter. ME2 did little to improve that problem. The fact that deleting the awful RPG systems from ME1 was an improvement say a few things about how awful it was. RPG's were something Bioware did well and had experience with, shooter not so.

And i thought I had seen the lowest point of Biowear fanboyism, but this article proves that there are no limits for sucking up. The term Alrik used, decribes it quite well. Bunch of ass-crawlers! :)

Ahh the hatred for bioware, it is strong here today:)

I liked mass effect 1 and 2...definately light rpgs but they were good games, I'm sorry to see some of you didn't.

I liked mass effect 1 and 2…definately light rpgs but they were good games, I'm sorry to see some of you didn't.

I liked ME1 and I wasn't too keen on ME2. I still think Bio is a very good RPG developer.

Even if I am bio fan-boy, I will still cringe after reading that "article".

I liked mass effect 1 and 2…definately light rpgs but they were good games, I'm sorry to see some of you didn't.

No not hatred just that there given a free pass on every game they make as if its the next great thing. That and there unable to grasp how fans can be disappointed in there games. Just refer to there recent interviews in the last two years.

I don't know. ME2 was one of the better shooters I've played recently. Certainly it was a better game than ME1 for me to play (preferred ME1's story though.. a LOT).

Loved both... FOR THE STORY!

But neither added anything to the history of gaming when it comes to gameplay.

I don't know. ME2 was one of the better shooters I've played recently. Certainly it was a better game than ME1 for me to play (preferred ME1's story though.. a LOT).

You aren't used to shooters I see.

I play alot of shooters and there is a significant difference between shooters who do it right and those who are average and those that are just clunky. ME is somewhere between average to clunky. You move too slow, going to cover isn't fluid, you can only run straight, you can't really dodge or move, headshots do more damage but aren't lethal due to the hitpoint system that try to streamline RPG mechanics into rock-paper-scissors, causing it to be so basic that it feels unneccessary. You are never going to toss your weapon and pick a new on the battlefield, there are no ammo management to speak of, weapons really do not feel that different and even if they do the classes can't use them all.

If you want to try a 3rd person shooter that do things right, try Uncharted 1 and 2. Shooting stuff in that game is fun. You feel your accuracy scaling and hitting the right spot is rewarding. Cover is easy to use and the character moves fluidly throughout the battlefield, while still forcing you to repeat and take cover once in awhile. The controls are so great that even if I am used to mouseaim, attacking with a controller was a bliss.

You aren't used to shooters I see.
You're right, I've only been playing them since wolfenstein. But these days I hate any kind of realistic war based games or present day settings, so I'm strictly a sci-fi shooter player. Last shooter I enjoyed before ME2 was Half life 2 really, maybe Bioshock.

If you want to try a 3rd person shooter that do things right, try Uncharted 1 and 2.
That available on the PC?

Reading the comments it seems to me that people aren't necessarily saying that they dislike the games or Bioware but rather reacting to what amounts to an amateurish fanboi spew passing itself off as journalism.

The praise and claims heaped upon ME by this writer are beyond even what EA's marketing department would attempt to claim.

Back
Top Bottom