Dungeons - Spiritual Successor to Dungeon Keeper

One of the unique aspects of DK that kept me coming back was the quasi-3D journeys thru the underground realms thru the eyes of a possessed creature. I really liked running around my own dungeon, checking out the various rooms and such, and scouting around in the enemy zone, leading my minions into battle, or assassinating enemies.

For the time, that was pretty revolutionary gameplay, and one that I have rarely seen done elsewhere - to be able to go from top-down command strategy style to jumping into the shoes of the foot soldier. I love that style of gameplay

I loved both DK1 and 2. Hopefully this will be a worthy successor (even if it's only in spirit).

I hope the ending is a bit easier/more interesting than the ending of DK1. Constantly fighting enemy dungeon keepers instead of humans, often with packs of dragons, got boring after a while.

late-game DK (and even moreso "deeper dungeons") was basically throttling down your available resources for increased "difficulty", in that respect I liked the early to mid-game missions best. Lots of games either zerg you really early in the mission or give you a mere pittance of resources to work with in the late stages of the game, that only promotes frustration as far as I'm concerned.. not a good time.

I like a challenge, but let's face it - building the dungeon and it's little ecosystem is half the fun of the game in itself. Give me the time and resources to do that and I'm a happy camper, er evil overlord

I'd prefer a big campaign mode - rather than the traditional mission based design.

Also, I really enjoyed multiplayer in the first games - even though it was broken and buggy.

Seems they're doing away with that, which is pretty sad.

But, more Dungeon Keeper isn't a bad thing.

I'd prefer a big campaign mode - rather than the traditional mission based design.

Agreed. I tolerate missions and they can be fun if done right like in Majesty II.

However, let's put some context into missions vs campaign mode by using Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. Both have basically the same style of combat while DG offers some new environments, guns and a few more characters.

With those extras you would think that DG would be a lot better, but it wasn't. As a matter of fact I didn't like that game at all. They took away one of the best parts of the game, the map. I no longer had the freedom to go anywhere I wanted as long as I could handle the situation. That was a very big deal for me and that's exactly why I gave up on DG and passed JA twice.

I don't mind this so much in Majesty 2 because they do give me a few choices in where I want to go(sorta like in Dragon Age), but I still would prefer a big old map to travel around in like in JA 1 or 2.

I'll keep an eye on this game and since there is so much interest I'll keep you guys updated.

Agreed. I tolerate missions and they can be fun if done right like in Majesty II.

However, let's put some context into missions vs campaign mode by using Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. Both have basically the same style of combat while DG offers some new environments, guns and a few more characters.

With those extras you would think that DG would be a lot better, but it wasn't. As a matter of fact I didn't like that game at all. They took away one of the best parts of the game, the map. I no longer had the freedom to go anywhere I wanted as long as I could handle the situation. That was a very big deal for me and that's exactly why I gave up on DG and passed JA twice.

I don't mind this so much in Majesty 2 because they do give me a few choices in where I want to go(sorta like in Dragon Age), but I still would prefer a big old map to travel around in like in JA 1 or 2.

I'll keep an eye on this game and since there is so much interest I'll keep you guys updated.

Yeah, to me it's that I largely prefer a long evolution of a game. I really love to build up things, whether it be a character, a party, a dungeon, or a Civilization. I hate having to "start over" every time I start a new mission.

I also love having as much freedom in how things develop as possible, where it makes sense.

One of the things I hate the most about traditional mission based designs, is that the developers think it's a good idea to be "creative" - so they keep changing things around - forcing you to adapt to entirely new situations. I HATE that, and I want to keep getting better and better, and NOT having to start over - doing what I already did.

They tend to make missions into a series of puzzles, where you have to play "guess what the level designer had in mind" - instead of relying on what you already learned.

I can see why other people would enjoy that, because some people really like to "be on their toes" and to be constantly surprised.

That CAN be fun, but it's often more a frustration for me - because I invest heavily into what I'm doing - and I don't easily "switch away" from something once I think it's really interesting or fun.

The great thing about a long campaign, is that if I DO get tired of where I'm at - I can simply start a new game - doing new things, and trying new strategies. So, the very best games, to me, are where you can change the game a lot, by being creative yourself - rather than having a playful designer taunt you with his idea of fun.

Back
Top Bottom