The Witcher 2 - Videos @ GameSpot

The combat looks ok except i absolutely hate the rolling, it's retarded. Can i wear plate armor and turn into a little ball like that too? ;) sorry but that's shitty design, i would have prefered a more realistic way to avoid getting hit, strafing or whatever.

I'd agree, but it seems rolling has become a stable in many games these days. I watched videos for 3 or 4 upcoming games yesterday and all of them had their heroes rolling around to avoid strikes.

Arcania had that stupid rolling too, and in that game i'm pretty sure you can wear full plate armor and still turn into a little rolling ball to avoid getting hit.

I'd love to see that in real life, hell, a movie would suffice, it would be hilarious to watch, a really drawn out fight with the hero using this rolling technique 50-100 times in the fight.

The only reason they get away with it is because people have seen this since forever in pure fighting games.

Not disagreeing at all, but Geralt never wore heavy armor in The Witcher. He started off with cloth, moved up to padded leather, and finished with something similar to elven chain from D&D. It still looks plain silly though. Why doesn't somebody just stab him when he's playing weevil boy?

Agreed. I liked the Witcher, but somehow these videos don't look very "good" to me. The combat seems to consist of geralt running and rolling around like a madman, getting hit very often und slashing around.

Looks like a show room, idle mobs just here to let the hero show off his skills. Hard to developp a good close combat system, it seems.

And the enemies just seem to stand there, sometimes. Waiting for their turn to get slaughtered…

I've watched a lot of Witcher 2 footage now, probably a dozen distinct videos, and I feel like I can safely say that this game will not suffer from Assasin's Creed style one on one fights. In other videos I have seen many opponents all swinging/casting/shooting at Geralt at the same time. In these videos they tend to be using console cheats to basically be invincible, but you can see that dodging blows can potentially get quite a bit tougher.

I'm ready to pre-order on GoG now and show my support for PC development. The amount of people on sites like Gamespot clamoring for a console version because "PCs are too expensive" is laughable to me. I have three PCs in my house that all beat the minimum specs, and it hasn't been very expensive to build them. PCs are much cheaper than they used to be years ago.

The use of QTE's (Quick Time Events) makes me worried too. I just don't get why developers feel that they need to put this crap into games, does it sell more games? I doubt it. It should have died with Dragon's Lair.

I don't mind the rolling around in an action rpg. Id rather have that than slowly staggering and dodging in heavy platemail. Will they even have heavy armors?

Combat looks somewhat weak based on videos alone. I'm hoping it has to do with the person playing the game and demonstrating, as maybe he's not aware of or interested in doing more complex moves.

It looks like it's pretty much 1-2 moves over and over - and that'd be just as bad as the previous system.

I don't mind the rolling around in an action rpg. Id rather have that than slowly staggering and dodging in heavy platemail. Will they even have heavy armors?

I really doubt it will have heavy armor. I rather have fast dodging, than that stupid rolling. Maybe i won't care as much about it when actually playing as compared to seeing it in videos..

edit: just read that you can turn QTE's off so at least one thing less to complain about :p

Last edited:
Sounds like a different voice actor? I'm sure it's old news by now but this is the first time I've had a chance to hear/see Witcher 2 vids. He just doesn't sound as badass as the first game and I'm not liking it.

No, i'm 100% positive, it's the same guy.

Arcania had that stupid rolling too, and in that game i'm pretty sure you can wear full plate armor and still turn into a little rolling ball to avoid getting hit.

I'd love to see that in real life, hell, a movie would suffice, it would be hilarious to watch, a really drawn out fight with the hero using this rolling technique 50-100 times in the fight.

The only reason they get away with it is because people have seen this since forever in pure fighting games.

Rolling in medieval armor is quite possible, although it's wildly overdone in video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kKLgSTkCEo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom