Dragon Age: Inquisition - Wins Award for Portrayal of LGBT characters

I think Dorian is a bit cliche myself. Sera, I haven't seen her full colors, yet. :)

Same here. Out of all the companions, I haven't felt the natural interest to know Sera and Iron Bull. I really liked Josephine though, even if she isn't a companion (but a Bisexual).

Yeah, Sera and Iron Bull came across the least interesting characters for me as well. I just don't click with Iron Bull and I find Sera absolutely irritating. Sera has personality I hate with passion.

Sera is the kind of character I could have been onboard with, if only they hadn't gone so over-the-top with her. To me, that's a desperate way of drawing attention to your NPCs - and it turns me off. But if they reduced her "edge" by about 50% - I would have liked her, I think.

When reading various forums and news sites there are big fan clubs and hater clubs for every single NPC companion in DAI. This is can only mean Bio has done pretty good job in DAI since there is something (or is it someone?) for everyone in DAI!

When reading various forums and news sites there are big fan clubs and hater clubs for every single NPC companion in DAI. This is can only mean Bio has done pretty good job in DAI since there is something (or is it someone?) for everyone in DAI!

Except I've yet to come across a character I'm really a fan of :)

But that's ok, as I didn't expect that from the game. I have fun with it in other ways.

Yeah, Sera and Iron Bull came across the least interesting characters for me as well. I just don't click with Iron Bull and I find Sera absolutely irritating. Sera has personality I hate with passion.

I actually did like Iron Bull but I think for the same reason I liked Oghren they share the same love of anything alcoholic that I do :p.
I liked Sera too, her eraticness is kinda cute lol.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Bioware seems to have handled the romance and LBGT really well this time.
It felt uh how to say this, more natural and not as forced as in ME3.
You could play the whole game easily without knowing which sexual preferences your companions have, they also weren't all Inquisitorsexual and didn't hit on you just because you were nice to them.
The only disappointing part I thought was Dorians background story with his father, that felt way too stereotypical.

Yeah, Sera and Iron Bull came across the least interesting characters for me as well. […] Sera has personality I hate with passion.
Isn't that a contradiction? :)
If you hate "her personality with passion" it means that she's not a shallow boring character, but that she somehow awakens your emotions. That's imho good sign for a well developed character.

I really like how DA:I portrayed LGTB chars. The only character whose sexuality was openly revealed without the inquisitor flirting was Dorian's - and I liked how they included the conflict of his sexuality with his culture and his inability to take part in the breeding of better mages. To my inquisitor Vivienne's or Iron Bull's sexuality has never been revealed.

That's how it should be done: Sexuality should be revealed and talked about when it mattters (possible romantic relationship or importance for the character's background) and should be left hidden when it doesn't matter.

The only disappointing part I thought was Dorians background story with his father, that felt way too stereotypical.
Yes, it was. But the thing I like about this story is that it showed that sexuality doesn't only matter in direct sexual context, but when the person can't or doesn't want to do things that are expected from his or her social environment.

Sex in video games is so awkward its painful. Strait or gay. If they stuck to flirtation we'd all be better off. I was playing the original Witcher last night and there was a sex scene in the first 20 minutes of the game and it was painful to watch honestly. Stiff, forced and just out of place.

Isn't that a contradiction? :)
If you hate "her personality with passion" it means that she's not a shallow boring character, but that she somehow awakens your emotions. That's imho good sign for a well developed character.

Well, Sera just happen to remind me of someone at work. I don't think she's well developed, just conflicts with my personality. Polar opposite to me. I don't think that's sign of well developed character. Just one that happens to rub you wrong way from the beginning :)

Sera strikes me as a person with ADHD and strong sociopathic tendencies - which isn't implausible in itself. It's more the way the dialogue is so inappropriately over-the-top that any hint of a real person or subtlety is lost.

But for a game, it's not unusual.

Well, Sera just happen to remind me of someone at work. I don't think she's well developed, just conflicts with my personality. Polar opposite to me. I don't think that's sign of well developed character. Just one that happens to rub you wrong way from the beginning :)

I hated Sera at the start too. I couldn't even understand some of the stuff she was saying. She speaks very fast but she sort of grew on me after a while so give her a chance I say :)

Sera strikes me as a person with ADHD and strong sociopathic tendencies - which isn't implausible in itself. It's more the way the dialogue is so inappropriately over-the-top that any hint of a real person or subtlety is lost.

But for a game, it's not unusual.

I hasn't finished the game yet and I don't know how Sera story ends but I have a theory as to who or what she is and that's why I keeping up with her to find out if I was right...

I don't think this is really spoiler since I am not sure if i am right yet but I think Sera is a darkspawn. The reason is she reminds me of darkspawn from the Awakening expansion to the DA Origins

Yes, it was. But the thing I like about this story is that it showed that sexuality doesn't only matter in direct sexual context, but when the person can't or doesn't want to do things that are expected from his or her social environment.

I suppose I should put this in spoilers lol

I found the (homosexual) person is shunned in his homeland for not meeting social standards and then later reconciles with apolegtic family member somewhat stale.
Of course I did play Mr. Nice guy Inquisitor and urged Dorian to actually reconcile, so maybe it would have been more interesting if my Inquisitor was more confronting about it.
What I did find interesting was the Blood Ritual as a jab on people that think they can "heal" or "correct" homosexuality.
Although with my Inquisitor there wasn't any choice for more talk about the moral implications of even considering such a thing, again maybe that's due to me being Mr. Nice Guy though.
I also chose the Templars in the storyline, so I probably missed parts of Dorians story.

Maybe this will give Bioware some inspiration, and in their next game they will really go for it and every character in the game will be flamboyantly gay! :p

Sex in video games is so awkward its painful. Strait or gay. If they stuck to flirtation we'd all be better off. I was playing the original Witcher last night and there was a sex scene in the first 20 minutes of the game and it was painful to watch honestly. Stiff, forced and just out of place.

Yep, it's cringe worthy. I agree with you. Totally out of place, and unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom