What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

10 Cloverfield Lane:

Not the type of movie I ever like, in fact most of the time when my wife wants to watch a movie like this I put my ear buds in and play a game.

I really liked this movie, John Goodman was great in it, a few mini plots in it. I guess it just worded for a change.

Zoomania / Zootopia - one of the very, very, very, very best animated movies of the decade; imho.

It begins nice, cute and fluffy, becomes more and more adult stuff and darker and darker and darker.

Best thing is, it's presented so that even teenagers can understand it (and most likely not get nightmares out of it, I think, but that's more or less a guess).

It's message imho easily places it into the place of the second most important animated movie of the decade for me - next to Wall-E.

Oh and… Donnie Darko.

Critics say 100%, 10/10. Audience too.

I say that it's the greatest bullshit I've seen in my life. It's worse than Dracula 3000. No sorry, Dracula 3000 is a masterpiece comparing to this.
I'd rather watch a 24 hours marathon of repeated Ankle Biters than this ultimate rubbish ever again.

If possible:
G

Anyone remembers this post of mine? I remember people were not happy with my spit.
But yesterday a friend of mine asked me what I think about DD movie, told him and then he pointed me to an article on cracked about it that was made a few weeks after my original post here - 4 Directors Who Should Have Quit After Their First Movie:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-directors-who-should-have-quit-after-their-first-movie/

fans were eager to peel away the layers. They devoted entire blogs and forums to unraveling the movie and analyzing each beat. Everyone was so busy feeling good about themselves for being so smart that they forgot the possibility that the movie might not make any sense.

As soon as Richard Kelly released Southland Tales, set in a futuristic Los Angeles, and The Box, set in a slow-moving river of anachronistic bullshit, even his most ardent supporters took a break from ravenous fandom to privately decide if maybe Richard Kelly was an idiot. Both movies are so meandering and pointless, and so full of empty-calorie surprises, that suddenly critics had a big enough sample size to isolate patterns, and sadly, everyone slowly figured out that what Donnie Darko concealed behind mystique and pretension was actually just bad storytelling. The sequel to Donnie Darko only reinforced that fact by drawing attention to plot holes everyone was too forgiving to notice the first time around, and then stretching them wide enough to throw a jet engine through.

I won't say I was right to think DD is the greatest bullshit of all time, maybe I'm the cretin who just cannot recognize "an obvious masterpiece".
But at least now I know I'm not the only such cretin.

----

It's message imho easily places it into the place of the second most important animated movie of the decade for me - next to Wall-E.
Color me confused - I thought your most important animated movie of the past decade is Up:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049413/
Up-2009-Poster.jpg

If I'm wrong, please explain why. :p

Last edited:
Color me confused - I thought your most important animated movie of the past decade is Up:

If I'm wrong, please explain why. :p

Well, Zoomania / Zootopia was released later. :p
Easy logic. :p

If you are believing the meals in a certain restaurant are "the top", and later you find a new restaurant with even better meals (which had never seen before, because it had opened up only in recent times) ... well, that's the same kind of logic. ;)

I have a weakness for mob movies, and especially like those set in the UK. I watched Legend, which is about the Kray twins. I want my $5 OnDemand fee back. It was awful.

Bought the Zoomania / Zootopia soundtrack. Apart from the Shakira piece I'm quite disappointed.

Better late than never, here's my recommendations for May should you find yourself at a loose end for a couple of hours:

Again, I've sat through some schlock this past month which I shan't bore you with, but some surprises for me in this department were my rewatches of M*A*S*H (1970)(7.6) and Jacob's Ladder (1990) (7.5), neither of them interesting me as much as they did 20 years ago. For the first hour of Mash I was actually very bored, luckily the second hour is entertaining, but it's so dated now that a lot of the humour comes across as really quite alien with maybe only 5 or 6 scenes hitting home. It's pretty much a plotless movie of abstract sketches so as each sketch loses it's charm with time it impacts the bigger picture immensely. I'd rather watch the TV series any day of the week. Jacob's Ladder just doesn't feel as 'freaky' as it did back then and would be considered quite tame by today's standards, a good enjoyable movie but nothing so out of the ordinary. I'd give them 6.5 and 7/10 respectively.

Conversely, I rewatched Fearless (2006) for the first time since its release and while I thought this movie was a bit average back then I found myself loving every minute of it this time. Perhaps I'm wiser with age? Maybe I just wasn't in the mood back when? But this time all the emotional punches hit me with equal velocity as Jet Li's physical punches. Primarily a moral piece, the movie is an unfaithful retelling of the story of real-life Chinese martial arts legend Huo Yuanjia during the early years of the 20th Century.

The atmosphere of the era is wonderful, the clothes, settings, dialogue, choreography et al is just pretty much perfect. It's barely factually truthful to the real history, it's more of a 'hollywood retelling' but I didn't mind in the slightest, even as pure fiction it's a joy to behold. I guess for the action fans the middle chapter is 'boring' and for 'charatcer' fans the beginning and end is 'boring' which wouldn't help with its overall score but today I'd give it an 8 or 9/10, IMDB has it at 7.7.

My other big recommendation is a movie I never did see at release and have only just got round to, Joan of Arc (1999) (6.4) aka The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. This was the tail-end of a run of movies that basically shat all over the English in the form of historical epics in the 90s, including such notables as Braveheart (1995), The Patriot (2000), Michael Collins (1996) to name but a few. So it's premise was tired by the time it arrived, particularly for English people :D

But watching it now I approach it refreshed. After the disappointment of Alexander (see April's recommendations) this movie appealed to me in every way Alexander failed to. I've no doubt many people will argue till the cows come home about the truth of the story and the intention of the director in his portrayal, but I was just watching it like I would Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings, and, in this regard, this movie is absofuckinglutely awesome. I loved almost every minute after the rather crappy and cliche rape-motivation intro scenes. It's action packed, bloody and gorey, funny and intelligent without losing its sense of importance and has some, again, wonderful atmosphere, from the sets to the music.

John Malkovich is perfect as a slightly effete and totally self-centered French king, Timothy West is the very embodiment of a medieval high clergyman and I found Milla Jovovich's Joan of Arc to be utterly enthralling. She is both beautiful and innocent and perfectly captures the youthful naivety combined with passionate virtual insanity that someone like Joan would have been. I guess many who watch the movie who don't like Milla or her performance will likely be soured to the whole movie as you have to understand how easily a man could fight for her in order to relate to many of the characters. And I think it's this last point which keeps the IMDB score so low. Some people will just see a woman screaming a lot, others will see the power of love etc.

8 or 8.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I have enjoyed many Marvel films, especially Avengers 1 & 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Ant Man and some others. But the two most recent were stinkers IMO. I was at best a casual reader of Marvel comics in the 80's & 90's, and none of my complaints are because the films went against canon.

X-Men: Apocalypse: I didn't go into this one thinking it was going to be Citizen Kane or anything, but not surprisingly I didn't like it. I love the X-Men, but I yet to see an X-Men film that has been good.

Part of the X-Men reboot series is I don't like the hero line-ups, and no film has done my favorite lineup from the 80's justice (Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, Rogue & Kitty Pride). I do, however, think Michael Fassbender is a great Magneto. But as much as I like Jennifer Lawrence in many other roles, I can't stand her as Mystique. They did do a better job with Nightcrawler in this one than the previous X-Men film incarnation. I also liked Apocalypse though I don't know how accurate any of that is with the comics since I haven't read any involving him.

The story overall was not compelling and the film way too long.

Captain America: Civil War was another Marvel movie I didn't like, but then I have never enjoyed stories in which the superheroes for whatever reason fight each other. This one was also about 30 minutes too long, moved too slowly and enough with Winter Soldier already. It was, however, better than X-Men: Apocalypse.

I have a weakness for mob movies, and especially like those set in the UK. I watched Legend, which is about the Kray twins. I want my $5 OnDemand fee back. It was awful.

I remember really admiring the one just titled The Krays from 1990.

Billie Whitelaw, known mostly as a character actress but truly top-notch (Samuel Beckett wrote several one-woman plays for her toward the end of his life) is the mom. The brothers, weirdly, are played by Gary and Martin Kemp, whose other main claim to fame is having fronted the early-eighties haircut band Spandau Ballet, but they also do a really good job.

Honestly I haven't seen it since it came out and it might look naff today, but here's a fan trailer that someone put together recently after the release of Legend.

Disappointed to hear that the new one is bad -- I'd heard about it and imagined that Tom Hardy would do well in the dual role.

I love the X-Men, but I yet to see an X-Men film that has been good.

I have yet to see any Marvel movie that's truly good. :)

That said, I liked First Class. It's the only X-Men movie I didn't roll my eyes at. It just seemed more "real" than the others for some reason. I think the way they portrayed Magneto and his backstory had a lot to do with that.

This one was also about 30 minutes too long

I think every recent comic-book movie has been too long. Even the Batmans, which I really like, could be 20-30 minutes shorter imo.

I have yet to see any Marvel movie that's truly good. :)

I have enjoyed some of them with my Children, the one that stands out to me as the best was Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe because it was funny and not just dumb one liners.

As for the X-man movies, First Class was the only one I liked. So I was looking forward to Apocalypse and was very disappointed with it. So many holes in the story .....

World of Warcraft.

Let me start off by saying I do remember playing the first Warcraft years ago but not for long and never bought another one of the games.

The movie was good? I am sure hardcore fans of the game might not like it but for something I thought would be complete crap it was good?

10 Cloverfield Lane.
Also enjoyed it.
I think there was a good acting performance from all the actors.
The mood was great...somewhat, claustrophobic, creepy, tense.
The pace of the movie was set just right(for my taste).

Also Dan Trachtenberg,the director of the movie, is interested in continuing the story. So, that is good news.

I echo the previous two sentiments about 10 Cloverfield Lane. Interesting mix of genres. My wife found it very scary and thus didn't like it as much.

Finding Dory Liked it better than Finding Nemo and quite enjoyed it. Baby Dory was adorable.

I think every recent comic-book movie has been too long. Even the Batmans, which I really like, could be 20-30 minutes shorter imo.

The only upside is that they haven't yet fallen into the 'part 1/2' thing like the abysmal Hobbit series ... imagine "The Dark Knight Rises, Part 1"

Got caught with pants off.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/

The VVitch: A New-England Folktale was supposed to be an average mystery indie so I went into it thinking to fill batteries on a nondemanding lemonade.

What I got was an unique depiction and analysis of closeminded and ignorant people, a critic of modern society prejudices masked by middle ages in the movie.
Such cover of timeshift is not really new, what's fresh is that this is not a sci-fi movie that can walk outside of political correctness just because it's sci-fi.

Scenery is top notch, sound too, not all of acting is superb (as usual with indies kids overdid some parts).
The story is one of the best mindmashers I've seen in my life. A family, not happy with the church leaves a town and starts living on their own near a forest. They believe it's better to live on their own (it's not brexit reference as movie is a year old!). And they're confident in their faith, beliefs, skills and abilities.
But then a sad thing happens and family starts believing there is a witch in the forest responsible for every misfortune that happens. Is there a witch really? Is there a devil who just test their faith? Or all is just a superstition? Or none of them is telling their thoughts scared of their incompetence but are searching for a scapegoat? Watch the movie to find out.

Directing is superb and you won't know what's real, what is just a dream and what a halucination.
A few days after watching it I'm still haunted.

Not recommended for people who live in big cities and never went to smaller communities (they won't understand shit here) nor for people under 21 (a few disturbing scenes).
For everyone else, IMO this is a flawed masterpiece which deserves to be a part of your DVD collection.

watched the new Tarzan at a free screening - i actually feel like they owe me, for my time :)

Predictable, trite, and just flat out ridiculous at times, this is one of those movies that really begs the question " how the hell was this thing made?". But arent we talking Tarzan, here? Isnt the very concept of the story ridiculous? Are we not dealing with the Jungle Superhero Film?

Perhaps….. maybe i'm being harsh. Maybe it would help if it wasnt a giant checkbox of every.single.damn modern movie cliche, ever. Maybe. I whispered to my friend next to me everything that was going to happen, as it did. That doesnt make for compelling cinema, and needless to say - my friend was becoming rather annoyed.

It's so heavy-handed with it's political messages, it becomes ham-fisted in their delivery and borders on parody. I am curious to see how it's portrayal of native Africans, colonial history, and the way it's "white savior" themes that have always rankled some people about Tarzan stories are taken in the modern political climate of USA 2016.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom