Risen - Review Flood #2

Maybe they had only the console version to review and not much further information. Especially since the game was advertised to be identical on both platforms, which is given the lousy port not the case.

Here is another long and detailed german review giving the game a 8.5 and this time they clearly say that they only have the PC Version available for testing

http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/risen

I was unable to find a copy of Risen in three stores here in Rotterdam. :( I think I'll get it from Stream when I get home.
Game Mania has it since last Monday. However they don't have a shop in Rotterdam. You would have to go to Delft or Dordrecht for now as the shop in Vlaardingen opens on the 17th.

Game Mania has it since last Monday. However they don't have a shop in Rotterdam. You would have to go to Delft or Dordrecht for now as the shop in Vlaardingen opens on the 17th.

Hmm, I could make it to Dordrecht today maybe. I don't really know the big game shops around. I'm afraid that I'll be lazy and just choose digital distribution, even though I want the DVD and manual. :S

And soundtrack. ;)

Oh, I don't just mean digital delivery- I mean ordering real copies from good online stores (GoGamer or whoever). Beats the the idiots at the local mall every time, in my opinion.

Actually, I have the opposite view on this. Ordering it by mail means I usually get it at a random date unless I pay a higher fee for fast delivery. Usually, the postman leaves a small letter telling me that no one was home when he tried to deliver the box and that I have to go fetch it at the post office within 15 days. The post office closes at 18h so it’s difficult for me to go get it until Saturday. Nah, I would far prefer to purchase it in a local shop on my way home, play it the same evening and have the satisfaction to promote the local economy rather than just one big warehouse somewhere in Ontario.

And soundtrack. ;)

Indeed! I found a copy in the town I live in, go figure. It's installing now!

Installed fine, but driver installation took a long time of nothing just like the demo. Performance is good just like the demo, but I've only just arrived at the harbour town, so I can't comment on that. Great game! :D

Last edited:
Wow, they really messed up the 360 port. Way to go, PB (or whoever you farmed the port out to). Strike two for German RPG developers attempting to port to the 360 (Two Worlds being strike one). They apparently have no clue.

I'm bummed. I was looking forward to playing it (don't play on PC). I still might, but it's taking a back seat.

Here's a site that gave the 360 port a 5/10 and said similar things to the eurogamer review.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/risen/review.html

Did they mention how long they played the game? The Eurogamer guy says 20 hours - and writes a lot of stuff hinting he did not reach chapter 2, mixed with factual erros. (So I've heard.) I think the fucked up Witcher review was also written by him.

Did they mention how long they played the game? The Eurogamer guy says 20 hours - and writes a lot of stuff hinting he did not reach chapter 2, mixed with factual erros. (So I've heard.) I think the fucked up Witcher review was also written by him.

Yeah, 15 hours. Here's what he says:

I hit the wall after about 15 hours of play, as I simply couldn't work out what I had to do next to progress the story.

Couldn't figure out what to do next? Err... either that's a really bad quest system, or that's a really dumb reviewer.

Eurogamer has made some stupid reviews before. I have very little trust in their reviewers nowadays. Somtimes they just like to bash games for no reason - perhaps to make funny reviews or to lower their own score averages (they give 100% to i.e wow expansions)

Last edited:
Couldn't figure out what to do next? Err… either that's a really bad quest system, or that's a really dumb reviewer.

Considering PC reviewers have managed, it is either a dumb reviewer or a general statement about console vs. PC reviews and reviewers ... ;)

Considering PC reviewers have managed, it is either a dumb reviewer or a general statement about console vs. PC reviews and reviewers … ;)

And then we have the brilliant comment from Real Gamer (also a 360 review) that Risen stole the way the treasure chests open from Fable. I still can't stop laughing at that one.

Give Xbox reviewers a new FPS, and they'll review it quite competently. But give them a German PC-based RPG, and they don't have a clue what to do with it.

Of course, I could say the reverse, too. Give German developers an Xbox development kit, and they don't have a clue what to do with it, either.

These are two crowds that don't know each other at all. It's like two strangers trying to dance together for the first time and stepping all over each others' toes.

Back
Top Bottom