How to install a headset?

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I have to convince an old headset to cooperate with a WinXP notebook. The headset has a couple of plugs but no driver. Am I right that I usually shouldn't need a driver?

What do I have to connect where and which software do I have to configure?

A headset never requires a driver, unless it's something USB-based. When you insert it, it should override the speaker and output sound to the headset instead. If you hear the speaker get disabled but don't get any sound in the headset, the problem might be in the headset.

When you say headset you mean something like this?

I have a couple of them and I never needed a driver or anything.Just plug them in the "holes" and you're ready to go.
If it's not working I guess it has something to do with the audio driver or the software that handles the audio,in my case it's Realtec's AC97 Audio Configuration.Just look in the settings of your program.

A headset never requires a driver, unless it's something USB-based
I've got a USB-based headset but it works without a driver.

Yes, such a headset. And the audio driver software is indeed by RealTek. Do I need to configure something? In which jacks do I have to plug the cables?

Yes, such a headset. And the audio driver software is indeed by RealTek. Do I need to configure something? In which jacks do I have to plug the cables?
Yes as in you have a USB headset? Is there a product description of it on the internet?

No USB headset. An old fashioned, 10 years old headset with audio plugs. I don't have any print material on it.

Heh, ok. Well then, let's make a checklist:
1. Do you have sound on the notebook speakers?
2. When speakers are active, do the sound disappear when you insert the headphone jack into the notebook's headphone outlet?

I just got a sweet AblePlanet headset and it immediately worked with my microphone and audio settings untouched.

Works. Thanks everybody! :)

Back
Top Bottom