New Grimoire Kickstarter (Not the Vapoware Game)

Oh, I will (stay tuned). It's quite entertaining in some bizarre sort of way.

Regarding Grimoird@CB as vapourware: Well, for a game that has been in development for 17 years or more, with numerous promised release dates without delivery, if it's not vapourware, it certainly fools me.

pibbur who will be (pleasantly) surprised if it's released now.

Looks like the controversy has killed it off. I can't see how people donate to kickstarters like this in the first place. No programmer and it's just some mod for Unreal basically, give me a break.

Game doesn't interest me one iota, but I suppose some people love this sort of thing. I don't know why they don't just change the name. It would've gotten Cleve and his followers off their backs. Unless they're looking at this as free publicity or something.

Its great free publicity. I would have never heard of it otherwise. Probably the same for most here.

Not exactly good publicity, if anything the goingson here prove there IS such a thing as bad publicity. This thing died quick as soon as all this started up.

Looks like the latest is some law student trolling his 'ask me anything' on reddit. The funny part is that the guy threatened to tell his professors and get him kicked out of law school :lol: It's like saying that he will tell his mommy on him. Even funnier is he took it all back because it scared him :lol:

If he is really a hotshot lawyer and the guy is really defaming him why not sue instead? If there's no case for defamation there's no misconduct. I can't believe they could possibly kick someone out of law school for 'being mean'.

It's a bit snotty to make fun of the guy's law school and that he hung up his own shingle but there's nothing untrue about it. My cousin did the same thing after just a year as a junior partner and he seems like he never loses a case, though he went to BYU and he did get at least a little help with courtroom etiquitte in his short time under someone else. So it's hardly proof of being a basement dwelling loser.

Every time I think this fake grimoire is played out there's something new to give a belly laugh. Now I feel bad Cleve has never gotten any of my money - he certainly deserves it for the infinite amusement he has directly and indirectly brought me.

Well I can't resist adding this the the thread. It seems the RPG Codex is facing a lawsuit from the attorney of the developers Ryan P. Morrison.

I'm not surprised by this as you just have to read what they posted.:-/

Link -http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/another-day-another-codex-lawsuit.94393/

For those that wont visit the codex here is the entire post in a spoiler tag.

It's fun being admin of the codex. I get to deal with all the fun legal stuff that happens as a result of the idiocy you morons get yourselves involved with.

This time, it's the latest Cleveland Mark Blakemore drama. Cleve has a long history of being an idiot. As do many of our users. So it's no surprise the Codex has received another in a long line of legal threats that are somehow related to Cleve.

Simply put, we have been contacted by Ryan P. Morrison, Esq. with the following correspondence.

I'll keep this short and simply link the response I sent.

Now I believe in freedom of speech. In fact the rpgcodex.net was founded on the principles of rigorous debate. To paraphrase Voltaire, "I'll defend your right to be an idiot", or as Saint_Proverbius used to say, "Let the idiots have enough rope and they can hang themselves".

We do not fear speech.

However, there is a line where speech crosses into action, and we have a problem. Simply put, anyone here making threats against anyone - specifically that is, saying or suggesting anything that might be illegal - we will not defend.

The rpgcodex.net takes no legal responsibility for your comments. We simply provide a format through which you can voice your opinion. If there ends up being a problem, you will be personally held accountable for your own comments.

As such, everyone needs to be advised of the following:

1. All of you should refrain from making remarks that are illegal (usually the ones of a "defamatory, untrue, threatening, and damaging" kind). If you do make such remarks, and there is an issue, you will be held personally responsible and we will have no qualms passing your details on to a lawyer so that they can take any action they deem necessary (and is within their legal right).

That means we may be legally required to give a lawyer IP addresses and timestamps, along with your registered email address or other details about your account. You may think your anonymous online username protects you, but trust me, it doesn't as much as many of you would think. Even those of you who use TOR, and then proceed to tell us where you live… along with every detail about your life.

2. Furthermore, any comments that are pointed out to us which are illegal, will be removed. We have a rule against illegal stuff so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

That said, I've got no interest in reading a 396 page thread and deciding what is or isn't illegal. I am not a lawyer. So all of you should be able to exercise a modicum of common sense and know that some things you say online may have consequences.

As I have said before and will say again, I am not your baby-sitter. As human beings, you need to take responsibility for your own actions. So, if you find yourself making a comment that might get you into trouble "in the real world", you really do need to think again before hitting the submit button.

This has been your mandatory FBI warning.

Last edited:
ok, that does it, now i'm sure.

It's all a hoax by cleve himself, just building up suspension because.....

HE WILL FINALLY RELEASE THE GAME!!!

(and then the earth explodes because some highly intellligent race wants to build a galactic highway)

Well I can't resist adding this the the thread. It seems the RPG Codex is facing a lawsuit form the attorney of the developers Ryan P. Morrison.

I'm not surprised by this as you just have to read what they posted.:-/

Link -http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/another-day-another-codex-lawsuit.94393/

For those that wont visit the codex here is the entire post in a spoiler tag.

It's fun being admin of the codex. I get to deal with all the fun legal stuff that happens as a result of the idiocy you morons get yourselves involved with.

This time, it's the latest Cleveland Mark Blakemore drama. Cleve has a long history of being an idiot. As do many of our users. So it's no surprise the Codex has received another in a long line of legal threats that are somehow related to Cleve.

Simply put, we have been contacted by Ryan P. Morrison, Esq. with the following correspondence.

I'll keep this short and simply link the response I sent.

Now I believe in freedom of speech. In fact the rpgcodex.net was founded on the principles of rigorous debate. To paraphrase Voltaire, "I'll defend your right to be an idiot", or as Saint_Proverbius used to say, "Let the idiots have enough rope and they can hang themselves".

We do not fear speech.

However, there is a line where speech crosses into action, and we have a problem. Simply put, anyone here making threats against anyone - specifically that is, saying or suggesting anything that might be illegal - we will not defend.

The rpgcodex.net takes no legal responsibility for your comments. We simply provide a format through which you can voice your opinion. If there ends up being a problem, you will be personally held accountable for your own comments.

As such, everyone needs to be advised of the following:

1. All of you should refrain from making remarks that are illegal (usually the ones of a "defamatory, untrue, threatening, and damaging" kind). If you do make such remarks, and there is an issue, you will be held personally responsible and we will have no qualms passing your details on to a lawyer so that they can take any action they deem necessary (and is within their legal right).

That means we may be legally required to give a lawyer IP addresses and timestamps, along with your registered email address or other details about your account. You may think your anonymous online username protects you, but trust me, it doesn't as much as many of you would think. Even those of you who use TOR, and then proceed to tell us where you live… along with every detail about your life.

2. Furthermore, any comments that are pointed out to us which are illegal, will be removed. We have a rule against illegal stuff so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

That said, I've got no interest in reading a 396 page thread and deciding what is or isn't illegal. I am not a lawyer. So all of you should be able to exercise a modicum of common sense and know that some things you say online may have consequences.

As I have said before and will say again, I am not your baby-sitter. As human beings, you need to take responsibility for your own actions. So, if you find yourself making a comment that might get you into trouble "in the real world", you really do need to think again before hitting the submit button.

This has been your mandatory FBI warning.

WOW

Talk about a thin skin. I don't know what particular comment he is referring to but there is really nothing remotely actionable that I saw. However I would not worry too much about a lawsuit from a guy whose law firm lists 3 other people as associates, two of whom also list him as associates on THEIR OWN law firm. It would be like H&R Block suing everyone on earth who made fun when someone laughed at others using them for discounted legal counsel when suing someone.

Also, even if you are not a lawyer and can't afford one most people don't realize you can already do most of what a lawyer does by yourself, which is not as threatening but costs them time and money to respond to and is perfect for punishing people who want to be an a-hole. Sending torts back and forth is actually a lot like 'trolling' anyway, except you do have to pay a bit for each one.

ok, that does it, now i'm sure.

It's all a hoax by cleve himself, just building up suspension because…..

HE WILL FINALLY RELEASE THE GAME!!!

(and then the earth explodes because some highly intellligent race wants to build a galactic highway)

I just can't imagine this is the case. The wild flailings of this newly minted lawyer guy seem to be quite suicidal to his career. He seems to be in a desperate panic to me and if I were him I would just shut up already, after all none of this is anything to do with him directly anyway he is just helping out OmniConnection.

If there is a big "reveal" then I could believe this. But the guy has filed a bunch of trademarks and is listed with the state bar so it's not just a fake person. I don't think anyone would intentionally expose themselves to ridicule of this kind. I think he's just young and has spent too much time on social media to realize how important it is to be careful what you say publicly about things that have to do with your livelihood.

DarkUnderlord can take care of himself.

Dear Mr. Morrison,

We note your correspondence dated September 26, 2014 titled "Re: Defamation and Threats Stemming From Your Website".

I believe the matter to which you are referring is known as "GrimoireGate" and as I understand it, is a dispute between your client Omniconnection LLC and Cleveland Mark Blakemore, who has been developing a title known as "Grimoire" for some two decades (a fact which has become a long-running joke on the rpgcodex.net).

I personally pay little attention to the comments of Mr Blakemore, a man who at times has stated everything from believing he is a "descendant of Neanderthals", to professing to have "titanium bones". His endless and unfulfilled predictions of doom, along with his hyperbole and claims of building his own bunker so as to save himself from the gangs of roaming survivors after the next apocalypse, have made him a figure of some ridicule on the Codex, and also someone not to be believed.

The rpgcodex.net has also had its own run-ins with him in the past. I am therefore not surprised to find that he has managed to involve himself in another debacle.

That said, I am certainly willing to work with you, in an attempt to resolve this matter amicably. To that end, your letter raises a number of points, which I will now address:

1. "I am writing to alert you to something you clearly already know. Members of your website, both users and staff, have been supporting, inciting, and creating many defamatory, untrue, and threatening claims to myself and my clients on various web services. Most recently, today, members of your website took part in a flaming process on an informational post where I attempt to help game developers probono."

While I have been vaguely aware of GrimoireGate (thanks mostly to the news post you refer to later), I have not been reading the GrimoireGate thread and was unaware of any "flaming process". I am however aware that comments have been made about your law firm, which mostly seemed to be about finding out information about your law firm and its staff from a series of publicly published websites which you control.

In terms of "staff" on the rpgcodex.net, we use the term loosely. No-one is paid for their work and the site is run by a series of community volunteers who post news and write articles in their spare time as they see fit.

2. On the matter of statements and / or claims that are "defamatory, untrue, threatening, and damaging" on the rpgcodex.net, I will require you to identify each of those statements that you feel fit this category and notify me of them, so that action can be taken. Our forum has rules against "illegal" behaviour and if your claims are true, these comments would fall under that category. As such, if you are able to identify the comments which you believe are illegal, they will be removed.

3. "I ask every single instance of mention of my name, my company name, my client Omniconnection, LLC, or any of its management, be removed from your site immediately."

I am not aware of any legislation which would allow you to enforce this request. The rpgcodex.net is mostly a gaming news website with an active forum community which has discussion on a wide range of topics. I am sorry that you have become one of the topics discussed due to your company's involvement with Omniconnection and its dispute with Mr Blakemore, but removing any and all mentions of you and your client will basically mean we could not discuss this issue. An issue which I note, has been discussed on a number of other relevant gaming websites including KickStarter and pcgamer.com. Disallowing the rpgcodex.net to mention your client or your firms own involvement in this matter, would be a restriction on our right to report - and one I doubt you would hold any other gaming news site to, as I assume your client would desire publicity for their product at some point.

As such, we will not be able to comply with this request.

4. "I do not see an attempt to follow proper DMCA takedown procedures or that you have a registered agent, so we are asking you to follow the procedures here now, as that will remove liability from your website from what your users are doing."

As I have been advised, DMCA take-down procedure is relevant only to copyrighted material. I am uncertain as to its relevance in this matter.

With regard to legal liability, please note that the rpgcodex.net takes no legal liability or responsibility for comments made by those who choose our forums as a place to air their views, in much the same way as you would not sue a pub or hotel for a comment someone may make inside that pub or hotel.

That does not mean that we will not take action but along similar lines, I have been advised that Mr Blakemore and his supporters have made various comments on your client's KickStarter and other pages on the internet and I doubt you are taking legal action against KickStarter for those comments.

If you have an issue with individuals who have chosen to register on the rpgcodex.net, I recommend you take the matter up personally with them. If you require contact details, including IP addresses and timestamps for certain posts or their registered email addresses, I will be happy to oblige, provided you are able to supply a legal ruling from a court entitling you to this information.

I do not "own" those who have chosen to register on rpgcodex.net, nor are they beholden to me. I am not their master. The best I can do, is ask them to refrain from making such comments, which I will do in a news post. Please note this does not prevent them from feeling aggrieved, or thinking similar things even if they are not posting them on the rpgcodex.net.

5. "If the requested posts and information are taken down, we will also assume the post made on the front page by your staff, and an agent of your website, was made in error in an attempt to report facts."

The news post I assume you refer to is the one titled "GrimoireGate: Cleve Blakemore in trademark dispute with impostor Grimoire", dated approx. 20 Sep 2014 (depending on time zone). Please be advised we will not be removing this news post. I believe it is factual, and in-line with previous news posting on the rpgcodex.net in that it combines opinion with information.

Furthermore, please be advised that as this matter affects users of the rpgcodex.net, I am required to notify them and will be making a news post to that fact.

6. "If the above mentioned information and references are not removed within 48 hours, we will take that as a sign that you do not wish to resolve this matter amicably. Again, we have done nothing to deserve this, and would have happily worked with Cleve if he reached out to us first. He did not, and your website supported these attacks."

Please do not take our disagreement on some of these matters as a sign that we do not wish to resolve this matter amicably. We are simply in disagreement as to how this matter should be resolved. From my own personal experience in dealing with Mr Blakemore, my advice would be for you and your client to simply ignore him. As your clients have already referred to in their article on pcgamer.com, "The word we’ve seen most often in researching this other 'Grimoire' is the term 'vaporware'—and there is every indication that the shoe fits. It seems that Mr. Blakemore’s game has been 'just around the corner' for more than a decade."

We see no advantage in either party taking the matter to court, and in fact only see a long drawn out battle which will benefit neither party. I'm sorry your client has a trademark dispute with Mr Blakemore over their similarly titled "Grimoire" game, but if you wish to address the matter further, it is something you will have to take up with Mr Blakemore himself.

If you have any further issues regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience.

Regards,

DarkUnderlord

At the end of the day Morrison made himself look silly publicly fighting a known troll, helped heap negative press on his client's game, and he's been running around trying to get his quotes deleted from the interweb. He's young, he'll learn.

Indeed ManWhoJaped is right, nowadays people are so used to post nonchalantly on the likes of Twitter and Facebook that it comes off in their real interactions with people, when they forget the ubiquitous and permanent natures of such interactions.

I read one journalist say that posting on the Internet is often akin to an extreme sport. In the case of someone whose job depends on his reputation, that is especially true. He should be courteous and professional at all times. I don't think he is a bad type, he is just the fruit of his culture.

I know of a Codexer who was once careless with his personal information and who was outed, and it came up in Google searches. Do you know what he did? He posted on tons of different economics and political blogs, where he made posts that were really professional. He showed potential employers that he had a head on his shoulders, by replacing the negative information out there about him with positive one. He did exactly what he had to do, and now he is doing very well and has had many prestigious job offers all over the world offered to him.

Indeed ManWhoJaped is right, nowadays people are so used to post nonchalantly on the likes of Twitter and Facebook that it comes off in their real interactions with people, when they forget the ubiquitous and permanent natures of such interactions.

I read one journalist say that posting on the Internet is often akin to an extreme sport. In the case of someone whose job depends on his reputation, that is especially true. He should be courteous and professional at all times. I don't think he is a bad type, he is just the fruit of his culture.

I know of a Codexer who was once careless with his personal information and who was outed, and it came up in Google searches. Do you know what he did? He posted on tons of different economics and political blogs, where he made posts that were really professional. He showed potential employers that he had a head on his shoulders, by replacing the negative information out there about him with positive one. He did exactly what he had to do, and now he is doing very well and has had many prestigious job offers all over the world offered to him.

I would be much more concerned about hiring the kind of people who try to 'out' people than trying to play thought police anyway, and so are any employers worth working for. I say 'to thine own self be true'. Of course when you are functioning IN THE CAPACITY OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT IE as a lawyer in a case or while doing publicity for a gaming company or as a journalist it is another story.

Ahahahah. Looks like the game-called-the-same-way-as-the-greatest-game-in-the-history-of-inclinebutthurt got released on Early Access a few days ago.

I was wondering what happened to all this a few days ago. I figured nothing as the news about it all just stopped.

Back
Top Bottom