E3 - The 10 most exciting PC games @ PCWorld

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCWorld's top 10 games of the E3:
Another year, another E3 gone by. Between the conference’s first-ever dedicated PC event and the slew of newly revealed PC games hiding among the console announcements at Day Zero’s massive showcases, this was easily one of the most exciting E3s for PC gaming fans ever.

Forget Xbox. PlayStation? Pfah. PC gaming is the real cutting-edge of gaming, and here at PCWorld we covered more than fifty titles prepared to grace computer screens. Even crazier, that wasn’t even all of them. Heck, AMD even announced its new flagship Radeon Fury X graphics card at E3 this year.

In such a swelling sea of games, it’s good to highlight a chosen few that stood out from the rest. These are the PC games that got us personally excited at E3 2015, in no particular order. What were your favorites? Drop a line in the comments.
Top 10

1. Fallout 4
  2. Master of Orion
  3. Ghost Recon Wildlands
  4. Sword Coast Legends
  5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  6. King's Quest
  7. Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion
  8. Need for Speed
  9. Shadow Warrior 2
  10. Soma
HONORABLE MENTION:
  1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5
  2. Rock Band 4
  3. Mass Effect Andromeda

More information.

I would add

Kingdome Come: Deliverance

and of course there will be a PC Enhanced Edition of

Divinity: Original Sin

I would add

Kingdome Come: Deliverance

and of course there will be a PC Enhanced Edition of

Divinity: Original Sin

Was wondering the same thing. Kingdome Come: Deliverance is like- o yeh !

not sure whats up with that list. but i dont care about any of them. KCD hell yeah

WHATT? There was a new Master of Orion announced at the E3 and nobody is talking about it? WTF??!!

Really happy with the news, I hope they can make as game as addictive and deep as MOO2 was for me.

Can't say I'm too excited about that list as a whole. The only games that really interest me would be FO4 and Deus Ex: MD

All uninteresting for me except King's Quest & Pillars. The list from post 1 looks to me as if I had read the very same names 10 years ago already. Boooooooring.

The only game I'm *really* excited about so far is still "Unravel" - which probably say a lot about the kind of person I am.

Especially : As soon as something becomes popular, it becomes uninteresting to me.

Sword Coast Legends looks like it could be interesting if done well. The difficulty with RTWP party games being to allow strategic play without too much micromanagement. And hope that the implementation of multiplayer doesn't effect single player design too much. Characters currently look as if they having a bad hair day.

The original Master Of Orion was a good game, although not sure I can quite remember why - perhaps because it was more fluid than some later games. But there have been many other such games both good and bad (gal civ 1 was pretty good) and just calling it MOO doesn't guarantee a good game - have to wait and see.

And the list starts with Fallout 4…

Todd Howard:

"Well, things like the flow of the open world; the plusses and minuses of that. How do you tell a story? How do you add all these other things to make it open? Given that it's open-world, what kind of stories could you tell best?"

Now he is certainly talking the talk, but will Bethesda walk the walk?

While I thought either FO4, ME4 or DX:MD will be my most exciting game seen on E3, in the end my most exciting game is Hitman.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitma...nd_locations_will_be_released_for_free_2.html

There will be "no DLC or microtransactions", the studio promises.

"We're not an Early Access game because Early Access games are unfinished by definition - you're part of the development," Seifert says. "Everything we ship on December 8 will be completely finished, it will be a very polished experience. It's also going to be a very big game. There are other products that sell a game for $60 and then try to sell you a Season Pass for another $40 on top, so you spend $100 or $120 for all the stuff that happens later on. We said no, we don't want to do that.

"We think it's wrong to approach players like that because players want to be part of that experience but they don't necessarily want to be ripped off. What we're going to sell is all of that but it's for a one-price package."

Honestly, even if this game turns up to be a disaster, I'm buying.
A game that doesn't look like singleplayer and it's not RPG? Whatever it is, one thing is sure - this game contains no scam.

Hitman looked so-so in my eyes. I just don't see them doing anything new and original with that series. The same extra maps/contracts idea was part of Hitman Absolution, and I didn't see that take off very much. This does seems like something bigger in scope than before, but we'll see.

My most exciting games presented are Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Doom. When it comes to PC that is. If we venture into console territory, my top is Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. I can't wait for the remastered Uncharted 1/2/3 in October. I'll be playing those again on PS4, hopefully finishing them in time for the 4th one at the start of 2016.

Another one which I've forgotten for quite some time, and which has rekindled my spark is the final chapter of Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void. I'm waiting for Blizzard to announce the release date for that, and I'm also thinking of giving the whole SC/Brood War/Wings of Liberty/Heart of the Swarm another go in time for the finale.

Hitman looked so-so in my eyes. I just don't see them doing anything new and original with that series. The same extra maps/contracts idea was part of Hitman Absolution, and I didn't see that take off very much. This does seems like something bigger in scope than before, but we'll see.

Please read the whole text. I ought to say the game, for all I care, can be the biggest garbage ever, the reason that got me superexcited is - it will definetly be a game, not a scamware.

But I guess every person has a different priority. Mine is my wallet.

Please read the whole text. I ought to say the game, for all I care, can be the biggest garbage ever, the reason that got me superexcited is - it will definetly be a game, not a scamware.

But I guess every person has a different priority. Mine is my wallet.

Mine is definitely not my wallet. I have no problem spending the money if the experience is worth it. If my wallet were my main priority I wouldn't be spending money on entertainment. But of course, that doesn't mean I want my wallet to get emptied on worthless crap.

Mine is my brain's pleasure centers.

Fallout 4 for sure. XCom 2 for even more sure. No Man's Sky (as I've been posting). Anything having to do with VR.

I'm not sure how Orion will work out. Most people haven't looked at the game without rose colored classes in over a decade.

Anything having to do with VR.

I'm also thinking about jumping onboard the VR train. I'm really curious about the experience. But I have a sneaking suspicion VR will not take off very well. It will be the old problem where either the devs or the gamers will need to take the first plunge. Developers don't want to develop games specifically for VR (or better yet, publishers won't want to invest heavily) until gamers show that they want this stuff. And gamers won't purchase VR setups until some high profile game comes out, that takes full advantage of it. I'm curious how it will turn out. Currently I'm thinking about either the Oculus or Valve's VR setup. Too bad there's no way of demoing these setups before buying. So, as gamers, we'll pretty much have to bite the bullet and take the risk if we want to see how it pans out.

Of the games on this list, Fallout 4 is definitely the one I am most amped about. Master of Orion seems like it could be cool too, even though I have only vague memories of the original. I actually haven't played many 4x style games to any great length for some reason, but I will likely check this one out eventually. This is the first time I have heard of Sword Coast: Legends, and while I have no experience with pen and paper RPGs, which this seems to be a digital version of, it does look kind of interesting.

Of course, White March looks good too, and I have not yet played the core game so I am waiting for both expansions before I start it. I have always been a big fan of the old Sierra adventure games since I was a kid, so I will definitely play King's Quest even if it isn't a straight-up puzzle adventure game. It looks like it mixes platforming with puzzles which worked pretty well on The Cave and Trine games. I am somewhat interested in Mass Effect: Andromeda, but I never played past the second game because my Xbox broke :) Also, the Tomb Tomb Raider and Uncharted games look great as usual. It wasn't shown at e3, but Torment: Tides of Numenera is still my most anticipated game.

Todd Howard:

"Well, things like the flow of the open world; the plusses and minuses of that. How do you tell a story? How do you add all these other things to make it open? Given that it's open-world, what kind of stories could you tell best?"

Now he is certainly talking the talk, but will Bethesda walk the walk?

That doesn't sound any different, or more promising, than the stuff he was saying back before Oblivion.

I think there are legit reasons to be hopeful about Bethesda improving its games, core franchises and otherwise. But Todd's endless rhetoric isn't one of them. ;)

I'm also thinking about jumping onboard the VR train. I'm really curious about the experience. But I have a sneaking suspicion VR will not take off very well. It will be the old problem where either the devs or the gamers will need to take the first plunge. Developers don't want to develop games specifically for VR (or better yet, publishers won't want to invest heavily) until gamers show that they want this stuff. And gamers won't purchase VR setups until some high profile game comes out, that takes full advantage of it. I'm curious how it will turn out. Currently I'm thinking about either the Oculus or Valve's VR setup. Too bad there's no way of demoing these setups before buying. So, as gamers, we'll pretty much have to bite the bullet and take the risk if we want to see how it pans out.

There are other problems as well. Read up about simulator sickness...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

There are other problems as well. Read up about simulator sickness…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness

Yeah, I heard about that, and that Oculus still suffers from this. But I also remember reading that the guys from Valve/HTC managed to work around it? We'll have to see. But yeah, having motion sickness from the setup is a no-go clearly. It would have to be one helluva experience for me to expose myself to motion sickness just to play a game. I usually get sick in the passenger seat of a car.

Back
Top Bottom