On the dangers of doing things out of order

P

pibbur

Here's how I prepare coffee:

1. Pour out remaining coffee in pot and clean it.
2. Remove used coffee filter from filter holder
3. Insert new filter into filter holder.
4. Fill filter with appropriate amount of grinded coffee.
5. Fill water container with appropriate amount of water
6. Push power button.

ANY attempt at doing one of these tasks out of order very likely results in 1) nothing being made or 2) something else (for instance hot water) is made.

I was considering these principles while preparing coffee today, when I discovered there was no more coffee in the coffee container. Now this, being a critical deviation from the normal situation, usually demands undivided attention. Unfortunately, I was still preoccupied with the principles of preparing coffee, so I just opened a new bag of coffee and emptied it into the coffee filter. Fortunately the capacity of said filter was lower than the amount of coffee in a standard coffee bag, thus I detected what had happened before reaching step 6.

Puuuh! But I have to admit: THIS IS GETTING WORSE YEAR BY YEAR!

BTW 1: Here's a coffee recipe I found in a Lucky Luke Comic:

If you want to make good coffee, emopty a bag of coffee into a coffee pot, and add some water. Let boil for 1 hour. Throw a horseshoe into brew, if horseshoe sinks, add more coffee.

I'm pretty sure I've been to places where this recipe was used.

BTW 2: Coffee and mathematics.

Here's an example of the principle of problem reduction:

Q: If you are in the cellare, and want to prepare a cup of coffee, how do you do it?
Common man: I go up the stairs to the kitchen, then I ...(insert Pibbur's 6 steps here)
Mathematician: I would do it the same way.
Q: But, if you are in the kitchen and want to prepare a cup of coffee, how do you do that?
Common man: Oh, that's easy, I just.. (insert Pibbur's 6 steps here)
Mathematician: It's even easier than that, I just go down to the cellar, and I know how to solve the problem from there.

No, I didn't make this one up. I found it on ont the internet. Somewhere and a looooong time ago.

LOTS of useless information from Pibbur

I use one of those Italian coffee pots that look a bit like two nuts screwed into each other. I've discovered any number of epic fails with it.

The real problem is that when you need coffee, you're not in a state where you're able to consistently brew it.

I think the Italians are the only ones who have successfully solved this problem, and I know their secret.

1. Stagger out of bed.
2. Get some clothes on, and somehow manage to look like you stepped out of a fashion mag even though they're rumpled and you haven't shaved for the past day or three.
3. Slouch over to the bar across the street.
4. Slump on a chair.
5. Smoke a cig, or if you've quit, thumb through the Corriere della Sera/Osservatore Romano/whatever that's lying on the counter.
6. Drink the coffee which the barman, who knows who you are and why you're there, has prepared for you while you were busy with step (5).
7. "Grazie." Leave a coin or two on the counter, and set off for another day of la dolce vita.

My coffee pot has a timer. I just set it up the night before and I wake up to coffee.

I hate to be a pain :) but there's an important step between 3 and 4. Grind your fresh coffee beans; it's SO much better!!

I hate to be a pain :) but there's an important step between 3 and 4. Grind your fresh coffee beans; it's SO much better!!

I know. I would like to do that. But that introduces another single point of failure, and given the problems I already have with my curret 6 steps........

But seriously, I have thought about it. I do appreciate a good cup of coffee, so there's every reason to follow your suggestion.

+1 to Corwin's suggestion.

Due to our home improvement project, I'm staying away from home. I brew my coffee here exactly the same way as at home, except I have no grinder, and every time I'm surprised at how bad it tastes (by comparison).

If you do get a coffee grinder, be sure to buy one that grinds with stones or wheels rather than a blade -- it makes for a much more even grind, which makes for a much more aromatic and less bitter brew, no matter what method you use to brew it. I use one of these:

Moka.jpg

I'm going to have to switch to a slightly different model in our new kitchen, though, because we went for an induction hob and the aluminum pot won't work on it.

Would a steel one work?

Not any old steel one; induction requires magnetizable metal. I found one with an induction-capable bottom; it does happen to be stainless steel. Shouldn't make any difference to the taste.

Disturbing avatar, btw.

pooh.png

I used to have 2 coffee pots like yours PJ, but as I got older and lazier, I bought an all in one machine which grinds and brews and froths the milk, etc to your personal taste. Much faster and easier, especially with visitors who ALWAYS seem to want my coffee!! :)

My parents have one. I've used it at their place, and the results are very impressive -- the coffee is remarkably good, and there are lots of options about how to make it too.

I would get one if we had a bit more space, and if my wife also drank coffee. I've been trying to get her hooked on the stuff for nearly ten years now, but no luck. As it is, it would be overkill just for me. Besides which, I kinda enjoy the process of brewing the stuff.

The best coffee I've ever made myself was in a low tech Melitta cone coffee maker like this:
t121.jpg

You make it just like tea--well, almost. You put a paper filter in the cone, put your freshly ground coffee in, and pour boiling water over it. It's really good coffee, but unfortunately I'm not very...alert first thing in the morning, so to avoid nasty burns and drowning out my pilot light, I usually make it only for after dinner drinkage. I use a push-the-button type for mornings. :)

I thought this topic might be about doing quests in games out of order and how it sometimes messes things up....

I am apparently wrong. Carry on!

Used to buy Kona a lot; haven't seen any in years!!

I've tried it, and it is good, but like Jamaica Blue Mountain, it's vastly overrated IMO.

My favorite is Peruvian Arabica grown at high altitudes -- a plantation named Villa Rica had some really good stuff, but they stopped importing it. I found another one which is sold under the name Gran Palomar that's almost as good.

I've tried it, and it is good, but like Jamaica Blue Mountain, it's vastly overrated IMO.

Have to agree - IMO high end coffee is like high end wine, you need to develop a trained pallette to really apreciate the differences then then you'll be stuck with an expensive new obsession. Much better just to enjoy something good.

Heh, I feel that way about stereo equipment as well.

Speaking of coffee, would anybody like me to send some Kona coffee? If I recall correctly, it is the rarest or one of the rarest coffees in the world. Very good stuff.

That is good coffee, at least I think so, even though I'm admittedly not a big coffee drinker. I'll be on Maui June 15th-29th, I might have to grab a cup.

I thought this topic might be about doing quests in games out of order and how it sometimes messes things up....

I am apparently wrong. Carry on!

If you can't get your coffee, that will surely affect your performance when gaming.

Hey since I can't find Kona, Jamaica BM is what I have been drinking!! :)

Back
Top Bottom