The Koalition - Top 5 Action RPGs of this Generation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Koalition writer David Jagneaux has written a new article about what he thinks is this generations best ARPG's. Remember this is his opinion not fact so take it easy on him.

To be clear, this list is in regards to isometric-styled hack-and-slash action RPGs. If you've ever played a Diablo game or anything like that, then you have a pretty good idea. There are lots of games and franchises in this genre, but it also seems to be one of the most under-represented each and every gaming generation. Releases are few and far between, but each successive title seems to always garner praise and success. One of the most iconic franchises in all of gaming - Diablo - basically started the entire subgenre and it's still going strong to this day. With Diablo III finally set to release on consoles soon, I thought this was a good time to take a look back at all of the best the action RPG genre has to offer this generation.
More information.

No need to take it easy as he pretty much sumed them up, maybe not in the "correct" order.

The disastrous thing is only that eliminating endless hordes of mobs for no real reason genre is called "action RPG". I don't see what exactly is being roleplayed in those games. Ah, we're roleplaying mousebuttons smasher? Or maybe I'm just too dumb.

No need to take it easy as he pretty much sumed them up, maybe not in the "correct" order.

The disastrous thing is only that eliminating endless hordes of mobs for no real reason genre is called "action RPG". I don't see what exactly is being roleplayed in those games. Ah, we're roleplaying mousebuttons smasher? Or maybe I'm just too dumb.

Yub, just another useless list nobody needs. I guess RPGWatch should stop posting news about these unless it's some kind of "reward" or big user choice. But a random column by a random dude about his 5 favorite action RPGs where he actually means hack and slay games isn't really that much of a use.

Man you guys are picky. Scratch any new opinion pieces off my list. What's next? Any more suggestions?:)

Not your fault. The genre was named as action RPG without asking the audience for blessing it. We live in a world that is not perfect - under publishers' boot.
Luckily for us, inventing a more proper name for something is not illegal so we can't be sued.
Yet. ;)

Otherwise I am pretty happy about the news. :D

Oh, just one thing. Could you please stop sleeping and post news around the clock of the european day? :D
On the other hand...I kinda like the news-flash coming around 23:30 to 03:00 ;)

Otherwise I am pretty happy about the news. :D

Oh, just one thing. Could you please stop sleeping and post news around the clock of the european day? :D
On the other hand…I kinda like the news-flash coming around 23:30 to 03:00 ;)

It's 5:00 PM Central Time when I usually update. I just get home from work then update. I had to many 48 hr shifts in my lifetime to ever pull one again. So no can do sorry.:)

Not your fault. The genre was named as action RPG without asking the audience for blessing it. We live in a world that is not perfect - under publishers' boot.
Luckily for us, inventing a more proper name for something is not illegal so we can't be sued.
Yet. ;)

Well see you are getting more prolific in your interesting "opinions". It'a an action rpg and doesn't require your "blessing".

He does say right off the bat: "To be clear, this list is in regards to isometric-styled hack-and-slash action RPGs."

P.S. Article timing is perfect! He's posting just as I'm sitting down to read!

He does say right off the bat: "To be clear, this list is in regards to isometric-styled hack-and-slash action RPGs."

P.S. Article timing is perfect! He's posting just as I'm sitting down to read!

It's weird how it can be good for some and not others huh?

Huh. I got Sacred 2 for the Xbox 360 for cheap. It was buggy as hell. At least two bosses got stuck on terrain and simply stopped attacking me. Lots of other little glitches too. No love for that one.

Man you guys are picky. Scratch any new opinion pieces off my list. What's next? Any more suggestions?:)

Don't stop with the opinion pieces, the random comments, etc. Just do what you were going to do if you had no followers. The internet is big enough to pick up the people that like what you do, and drop the tards that don't.

• Diablo III
  • Dungeon Siege III
  • Sacred 2
  • Titan Quest
  • Torchlight II

This list makes no sense. He goes back in time far enough to include both TQ and Sacred 2, but ends up picking D3 over D2. Additionally, there is no sign of Van Helsing, better than 2 or 3 of the titles on that list.

• Diablo III
  • Dungeon Siege III
  • Sacred 2
  • Titan Quest
  • Torchlight II

This list makes no sense. He goes back in time far enough to include both TQ and Sacred 2, but ends up picking D3 over D2. Additionally, there is no sign of Van Helsing, better than 2 or 3 of the titles on that list.

I don't think Van Helsing is better than any of game on that list except Dungeon Siege III.

For me it's It's Titan quest+Soulvizier mod high above any aRPG, than Path of exile, I liked Sacred 2 because of unique classes, good char development system and open world, but it was deeply flawed game, games like Torchlight 2, Van Helsing and Dungeon Siege 2 where fun for short period.

What about the "top 5 non-action RPGs of this generation" ?

Back
Top Bottom