Serious Sam HD

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
I wanted to reconfirm my opinion of Serious Sam coming hot off of Painkiller. I'll admit I've never really been a fan of the SS games but I wanted to recall specifically why that is and I do have a copy of Serious Sam HD (in addition to the original) so figured I might as well load it up.

Just for the record I played through about 60% of the original game (non "HD" version) a few years ago. I've put in a few hours of the HD version, but not quite as far as before. I'm still in Memphis, almost through it. Here are my impressions:

It looks great and just like my experience a few years back I'm finding it a mix of fun and frustration, leaning toward the latter as I progress through the maps. Big open areas are fun, but the game in tight spots is just plain annoying. I can't help but compare this to PainKiller. PK was frequently challenging but never felt so over the top punishing that I was living save to save. SS tends to present situations where F6 is required to progress. A few time I found myself playing sequences multiple times just to get a favorable outcome in terms of health and ammo. Crap spawning behind you is one thing, but half up your ass is another. Not fun in my opinion. The last straw was two fold:
1. The "Yodel Secret" which did nothing but spawn 4 rocket wielding mechs in my face. Great idea, really lends to the "fun" factor.
2. A nook with rocket ammo and a lousy single health pill causing a wall to come down and 3 laser mechs and a rocket mech to spawn right above me. More "fun" to be had there!

Yeah well screw you devs!!!!!

Life is too short so I'm dumping this turd. I haven't gotten to the Bull Run which I know is going to piss me off just like it did before. Bottom line is, if I want frantic run-and-gun I'll load up a PainKiller map, its far superior anyway. Better weapons, better gameplay, better design. PK is designed for fun and challenge, with fun being the overriding design goal. Never lose sight of that when you make a game. Stupid Croteam :)

I need a break from challenges so its off to Mass Effect 2!

Back
Top Bottom