Witcher 2 New screenshots of The Witcher 2. Pretty amazing!!

The Witcher 2

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I found this news on gamebanshee and since no one has moved it into our news section I want to share it with Rpgwatch community:

"Italian gaming site VideoGame.it has added a ton of new The Witcher 2 screenshots to its gallery, while the accompanying newspost noting this is to address the wait before they publish their preview, so I'm guessing these are from a (magazine) preview pack. Regardless, they're impressive-looking, so be sure to check them out."

http://next.videogame.it/the-witcher-2/94615/

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101624-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-screenshots.html

I'm not a graphics worshipper, but these screens look awesome. Details on the characters, armors, weapons, environment are amazing. I think being PC only game is behind this. They don't have to cut off the technical side of the game in order to fit it to consoles. I think our graphic cards are going to cry a bit in May.

Yes, those do look amazing, and yes I am sure being designed for PC first and foremost is part of the reason.

Supposedly though this engine was built with consoles and a quick turnaround in mind. I'm a PC only gamer so I don't care really, but it will be interesting to see what kind of detail and fidelity they can get on the consoles from this engine and how close an Xbox version could be to those screenshots.

What`s the word on combat - is it the same system like in the first one?

I bought it yesterday and am rather disappointed. I`ll probably live with it because the game looks very interesting but I`d hope for some changes in the sequel.

The Witcher starts off a bit slow. The prologue and Chapter 1 are nowhere near as good as the rest of the game.

Counting the days until TW2...

Yeah, at the end there is some concept art... everything before that is real screens though.

What`s the word on combat - is it the same system like in the first one?

I bought it yesterday and am rather disappointed. I`ll probably live with it because the game looks very interesting but I`d hope for some changes in the sequel.

This time Witcher 2 has more dynamic combat than the first game. You can watch the gameplay videos on youtube and see for yourself. Especially stealth will be much better it seems. It's like playing a fantasy setting Splinter Cell game from what I've seen in the videos. Close fights also were improved a lot it seems, tactical, requires careful timing (again judging from the videos I have seen). And I think they will use God Of War style "push the right button in the right time" in fist fighting.

Close fights also were improved a lot it seems, tactical, requires careful timing (again judging from the videos I have seen).

Watched a bit of one boss fight, it`s hard to tell...what I mean is they need to free it up, like Risen and any other sensible TPP action RPG.

Also "tactical" =/="careful timing" ;)

This time Witcher 2 has more dynamic combat than the first game. You can watch the gameplay videos on youtube and see for yourself. Especially stealth will be much better it seems. It's like playing a fantasy setting Splinter Cell game from what I've seen in the videos. Close fights also were improved a lot it seems, tactical, requires careful timing (again judging from the videos I have seen). And I think they will use God Of War style "push the right button in the right time" in fist fighting.

Eh? The Witcher didn't feature a stealth system.

I didn't have a problem with the combat in the first game, only the fact that the 'normal' difficulty setting was a joke. A lot of people get a bad first impression because of that.

I have played it on hard difficulty and some of the fights were really tough and couldn't be passed without using alchemy.

I have played it on hard difficulty and some of the fights were really tough and couldn't be passed without using alchemy.

That's the whole point.

On normal, you can win just about every fight with nothing but melee. That's not really how the game was meant to be played. Those difficulty levels should have been labeled "easy" and "normal", instead of normal and hard.

I also hate the floating icon that tells you when to swing your weapon on normal difficulty.

I too played on hard, and only ONCE had to use alchemy (and everyone probably knows which battle that one was). I used a few of the magic signs instead for everything else.

I`m playing on hard, but it`s not the point. The combat system itself - which is very limiting, is the issue.

I could even live with the lame "timing" concept - straight out of proto console Rpgs. But the fact i need to always click on opponent to attack (a la Diablo), instead of clicking to just swing the sword (a la Risen) is really painful. It breaks the whole flow.

Also, this game cries out to be played on a pad. Maybe they`ll do a decent joypad interface for PC too, it should be a standard in 2011...

I`m playing on hard, but it`s not the point. The combat system itself - which is very limiting, is the issue.

I could even live with the lame "timing" concept - straight out of proto console Rpgs. But the fact i need to always click on opponent to attack (a la Diablo), instead of clicking to just swing the sword (a la Risen) is really painful. It breaks the whole flow.

Also, this game cries out to be played on a pad. Maybe they`ll do a decent joypad interface for PC too, it should be a standard in 2011…

For once we agree completely :)

The combat system in The Witcher was one of the primary reasons I couldn't get into it.

Being told when to click or basically just executing timed clicks over and over - is about as pointless as I can imagine. I need something with a flow to it, and where you can be creative and at least pretend you're the one doing the fighting.

The Witcher combat was like an action version of the Sword and Sorcery books :)

I actually thought feeling a good "flow" to combat was the main thing The Witcher's combat system was good for. I would have preferred just swinging my sword, but the timing and such of the clicking made every battle feel like a rhythm game, which is the essence of "flow" if you ask me.

Anyway, game was awesome in every other respect so it's a minor thing for me.

I actually thought feeling a good "flow" to combat was the main thing The Witcher's combat system was good for. I would have preferred just swinging my sword, but the timing and such of the clicking made every battle feel like a rhythm game, which is the essence of "flow" if you ask me.

Anyway, game was awesome in every other respect so it's a minor thing for me.

^This^

I didn't like the combat at first, but it grew on me. Besides, I don't want every game I play to have the same style of combat.

For once we agree completely

The combat system in The Witcher was one of the primary reasons I couldn't get into it.

Being told when to click or basically just executing timed clicks over and over - is about as pointless as I can imagine. I need something with a flow to it, and where you can be creative and at least pretend you're the one doing the fighting.

The Witcher combat was like an action version of the Sword and Sorcery books

For once we agree completely....

The screens are fantastic , i cannot wait to play it .
I have my doubts about the combat part because i didn't like the action trailer but as explained in the forums by the devs Gerald was very low level in that video.

Combat system was ok in the Witcher because combat was not important , i guess this will be true for TW2 as well .
As about the use of alchemy i only played easy and did use several potions , "cat" for example is a must before cave diving .

Back
Top Bottom