Your favorite game music / themes / composers?

txa1265

SasqWatch
So Corwin and I started talking Gothic 3 and Oblivion music in another thread and he suggested we needed a game music thread - I agree.

So chime in - what music from games do you love, favorite composers of game music, themes, etc ... ?

There are so many beautiful game soundtracks it's a bit difficult to decide on a favorite, but I'll try.

Composers: Chris Hülsbeck, Jeremy Soule, Michael Lands and Bobby Prince are classics, everything they did is great IMO.
Soundtracks: My favorite game soundtracks (at least those I cn think of now) are MDK (by Tommy Tallarico) : it's as varied as the game's levels; Super Turrican (by Chris Hülsbeck)... I was blown away when I heard the factory score for the first time; and The Dig (by Michael Lands)... just beautiful.

The first tune from a game that came to my mind when I read the thread title was the score for the chapel level in Heretic 1 (reused in Hexen), composed by Kevin Schilder, so I should name this one, too.

Favorite music would have to be Ultima Underworld 1, followed by the Wing Commander series and then 7th Guest. Most of the music was composed by George "The Fat Man" Sanger.

To this day I still love the "Descent" tune from UUW1, in General Midi of course! :)

Stuff I love:
- KotOR
- BG1 & 2
- Icewind Dale
- NWN
- Divine Divinity
- Arcanum
- Gothic 1 & 2
- Vampire: Bloodlines

I love the themes from Blade of Darkness and Dungeon Lords as well.

I always liked the music of Star Wars games - Dark Forces had great stuff, and the usage of Williams' themes in Jedi Knight II was brilliant.

I'm a bit of an Old-Schooler in computer games :). My favorite one is definitely Rob Hubbard. He made so many good, and immortal, tunes for Commodore 64 in the past. Nothing beats a tune like Master of Magic :)

Oh yeah, of course there are a lot of good music in modern games too, but Rob just brings my good memories :)

Gothic 3 has great music, I love it. Sort of a "best of" from Gothic 1 and 2, with some LotR inspired combat music. I also love Baldur's Gate 2s' entire sound track, ambient sounds, music etc.

Well, for classics, can you go past the immortal Stones of Ultima fame. Checkout the version Laz uses and the one in U9 was the best part of the entire game. I loved the sweeping music of Morrowind, FAR more than the actual game. I find the one main outdoor theme in G3 too repetative after hearing it over and over again.

I almost forgot - the Larry theme song, hehe. It's not exactly an epic song, but it reminds me so much of the "good old days" I still love it.

In that vein, who can forget the Monkey Island Theme!! OK, I know it's not an RPG, but I still love that series!!

Oh yes! Monkey Island, thank you for reminding me Corwin, I loved the games. The fighting in those games had style - who needs action when you have funny comments? :)

And you knew you'd lost when the only response you had left, was Oh Yeah!! :)

WOW, thanks Arhu, that MI LIVE was fantastic!! Ah the memories!!

Turrican=Chris Hülsbeck :lol: ! Yay for the link, Arhu!

While we're linking up soundtracks, you can get Arcanum's from Terra-Arcanum

You can also download the sheet music there, and a link to a fre viewer.

anacronox - not only is it one of the greatest most original games it also has awesome music. i will always bring up this game time and again until everyone has played it. for those who have, the 'brain train' theme and the music at the club where you first meet stilleto have always been my favourite. my 'troika' of games is comprised of this game, system shock 2 and gothic.

My ringtone is the end title music from the original DOOM. Does that count?

Bobby Prince always counts :).

Back
Top Bottom