The Elder Scrolls - Include Detailed Cutscenes?

Holy cats. You guys drool with praise over witcher 3 which was a cut-scene extravaganza, then decry the POSSIBILITY of them in a theoretical TES game.

At least you're consistent.

To be fair though the witcher 3 and tes games are very different.

Witcher 3 is a more theatrical experience ( where cut scenes fit better IMO) whereas tes games are more about immersion and making your own story.

Personally I could take or leave cut scenes in tes games though as I don't think it would make much of a difference one way or the other.

I'd actually like to see them focus even less on the main story and more on npc's and companions to create a world full of mini stories that I'd really care about.

I've never competed the main story in any tes game and I put 400 hours into skyrim.

I could take or leave them. Like most I think they can be cool if done right and it depends on the game.

TES is about create your own life and character. I have 2400 hours in Skyrim although granted probably half of that was spent working on mods, ENBS, and writing stories, because it excels at what it does best.

I do like a story and quest lines as they can provide some thing to play around and some context which is always nice.

I tend to enjoy the NPC's, followers, and smaller quests the most and would like to see Beth invest more heavily in those areas.

Cut scenes, to me, are more for movie like games like DAI, ME, and the Witcher.

If you put cut scenes in a TES game, you end up with a different game - and one I suspect I wouldn't enjoy. There are already plenty of cut scene heavy rpgs - we don't need them all to follow this format. There are definitely areas for improvement, but 'adding cut scenes' really isn't it.

Resource management.

Hmm, that could go both ways - if the cutscene feature leads to smaller worlds with less features, locations, etc. they could concentrate more on their core, in turn upping the actual quality of their game.
Beware this is just hypothetical rambling: if Bethesda reacts like I am expecting them to do they would go the way you described :biggrin:

Skyrim begins with one enormous cut scene and I love it! It wouldnt be the same without it. Good cutscenes add to the immersion and a goodly part of Dragon Age are the cutscenes.

Cutscenes? Why not! Just have the option to turn them off! I think they would add some ambiance to the game.

But I would like to see more RPG elements in the game (like having to compete for archmage role, and needing certain pre-requisites for the role).

Also some better scaling at the high end levels (It became too easy at the end - have diminishing returns with enchants and blacksmithing and alchemy etc)

The other thing that would be great is persistent player characters - when you log off, your character has a role that he performs while you are away, and you can specify what that role it. You can then make the game multiplayer persistent for like 10 to 20 players....

But I would like to see more RPG elements in the game (like having to compete for archmage role, and needing certain pre-requisites for the role).

Also some better scaling at the high end levels (It became too easy at the end - have diminishing returns with enchants and blacksmithing and alchemy etc)

I don't know you, but I like the way you think :)

I don't mind them but depends on the cut scene. Out of all of them I prefer how they're done in Skyrim. Your toon is part of the scene and you're watching it from your toon's POV instead of just watching your character in a movie. This for me helps to maintain the immersion. Being able skip them is necessary, especially for long winded stuff. I could happily live without them if it means tehre's more gameplay related stuff.

I completely LOATHE cut scenes, especially in an open world game. I am not even a big fan of voice overs either.

The only way to do cutscenes in an elder scrolls game is to make them interactive set pieces where you direct the action. That will never happen because they love there authorial vision too much.

well why don't they make a fucking interactive movie then and leave true RPGs

Who cares for cutscenes, what would they even be about? I'd ask for actual plot and interesting characters, but that isn't happening anyway. Skyrim was great for a while, until it got boring, b/c it's an "amuse yourself on your own" type of game, and running around without plot or characters wasn't very amusing to me. I don't mind sandboxes, I mind sandboxes that are nothing more than a sandbox.

Bang on.

So long as there's some more depth and soul to the game that's all that really matters.

If cutscenes help achieve that then top stuff, go with it. But they'll be just as wasted as the hundreds of Skyrim locations if all there is to them is bland filler.

Well-done cut scenes can add a nice element of drama. Cut scenes that you have to sit through over and over just prior to a tough fight... not so much.

Holy cats. You guys drool with praise over witcher 3 which was a cut-scene extravaganza, then decry the POSSIBILITY of them in a theoretical TES game.

At least you're consistent.

The witcher 3 can do no wrong.

Back
Top Bottom