Stellaris

Stellaris releases May 9th. :)

It has been a long voyage, most of it cloaked in darkness. But planetfall is in sight – a new franchise will establish itself on Planet Paradox. Stellaris will be released on May 9, 2016.

Stellaris is the new science fiction strategy game from Paradox Development Studio, the creators of Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron. This will be the first strategy game from PDS that is rooted not in the past, but the future, as you guide a species of your design to power and glory in the depths of space. With randomly created opponents and procedurally generated star systems, no two games can even play out the same way.Our new trailer has never before seen game footage including starships massed for combat, the galaxy map and some of the most beautiful stars in the universe.

Trailer (and a rather sweet one at that)
Dev Diary archive
Source

Such mod-friendly. Very replayability. Wow.

Mighty%20doge.jpg

Okay, looks like we'll have to get this one.

I've been playing it a lot since yesterday. Can't say if it's good or bad because of usual embargo, but let's just say I've played it about 15 hours in the 30 hours since I got it :)

I've been playing it a lot since yesterday. Can't say if it's good or bad because of usual embargo, but let's just say I've played it about 15 hours in the 30 hours since I got it :)

Wait, what? You are playing it already? HOW?

The embargo lifts tomorrow, you better have your impressions prepped for me by then. ;)

Also: 5 MOAR DAYS. I grabbed Endless Space to tide me over until then.

Last edited:
Wait, what? You are playing it already? HOW?

The embargo lifts tomorrow, you better have your impressions prepped for me by then. ;)

Also: 5 MOAR DAYS. I grabbed Endless Space to tide me over until then.

Press copy for youtubers/streamers. The embargo for videos and streams lifts tomorrow at midnight (EST), but not for reviews until May 9th. I wonder how that works, I'm guessing you can still say if you like the game or not in your gameplay video, just not make it a 'review video'?
I plan to publish the first 2-3 episodes of the series tomorrow, though at midnight (6AM CEST) is a sucky time. Unfortunately they'll be in Spanish, but I'm sure there will be plenty to see in English.

Well, the floodgates are open, you can now see literally hundreds of videos in youtube, plus lots of streamers in twitch. I'm even thinking of doing a stream later today in Spanish just to go with the flow :)

It was hardly possible to even keep up with the official streams and the multiplayer event. ^^

Can't say if it's good

As if it could be deemed bad...

Such mod-friendly. Very replayability. Wow.

Replayability? Not in the usual Paradox way.

Paradox put a lot of thoughts and work into curbing expansion.
Conquering the world gets dull pretty fast and by forcing the player into a limited territory, other gameplay features are open to developpment.
Like the dynamic evolution of the board that keep providing scenarios on the fly.

As a result, games like Victoria, CK or even EU have a lot of replayability.
Same starting conditions are met with everchanging board changes and a player might decide to go a different way because of a specific board configuration.

Stellaris is another story since it focuses on expansion and domination only. The board evolution is a non feature in this product.
While graphics are sharp, the art direction is uninspired, the map has nothing near the value of a usual paradox map. Nothing happens. Territories are just territories to expand in.
Staying in a little corner of the galaxy means nothing as nothing happens at the other end of the galaxy.
It is all about conquest. The board provides no material to drag the player into scenarios, it is always the same objective, and ultimately the same paths to victory (whereas the end game is bloated with events to get the player's empire to collapse)

Mods wont change that. Mods will only change the package, not the content.

This said, Stellaris will probably be appraised by players as they usually are driven by imperialistic powermonging. Forming the largest blob possible is their motivation.

Stellaris, that provides nothing else as a content, fits perfectly their tastes.

Back
Top Bottom