Spotify Invites

SveNitoR

SasqWatch
With Spotify pretty recently being launched in USA I thought there might be someone interested in getting an invite here on RPGWatch. I can of course send invites to people outside of the US as well.

I have a total of 16 invites and will PM or email anyone who wants an invite.

Sounds great. SveNitoR. I'd love one.

Remind me (and likely others) what is Spotify!! :) Sounds like a disease common to most teenagers!! lol

it's a streaming music service. looks and feels a lot like itunes but you're browsing a catalogue of millions of songs instead of your own mp3's. create playlists, use on your smartphone, computer, tablet etc. there is a premium service for about €10/month or a free one. the free service interupts you about every 15min with ads. (think radio). the premium service has better quality streaming(320 kbps), no ads, use on your smartphone and some other neat features. For €10 per month I'm pretty sold on it. Oh yeah, you can import all your mp3's as well if you have songs that don't exist in the spotify library.

Its a dream come true for everyone except musicians. :) A lot of musicians in Norway pulled out. They're dependent on singles and album sales. With this service available people don't bother buying albums anymore. Its sort of a compromise between pirating and sales, only that the record companies are one of the few who profit from it (they're major investors in Spotify). There's probably a few accounting tricks available too with online streaming. An artist, with say a million plays, make a few hundred bucks from it.

Last edited:
I sent you a pm Crpgnut.

@hishadow: Probably true about a lot of musicians not getting a lot of money. I know about a lot of artists who like it though. The amount of money per time the song is played is probably different for different musicians.

@Corwin: Like Lemonhead said it's a music streaming service. There is also a 5 euro version without ads but not with 320 kbps and not available offline/on smartphones.

I've been spotified, thanks to Sven :)

Remind me (and likely others) what is Spotify!! :) Sounds like a disease common to most teenagers!! lol

It is this EU thing that caught some disease when it crossed the Atlantic. It is inferior to existing on-demand services Rdio and MOG, and in spite of hyperbole saying it has ~15 million songs, I regularly find stuff not available on Spotify that is on Rdio and MOG. Also, the social aspects have been surpassed by other services, leaving Spotify as totally 2009 ...

It is inferior to existing on-demand services Rdio and MOG, and in spite of hyperbole saying it has ~15 million songs, I regularly find stuff not available on Spotify that is on Rdio and MOG. Also, the social aspects have been surpassed by other services, leaving Spotify as totally 2009 …

Never tried Rdio or MOG since they are only available in USA and Canada. From the overview on their pages the prices (a free version, a 5$/month version and a 10$/month version) and how it works seem to be about the same. I was not that impressed with Spotify when I first started using it but I really like it now.

I would not be surprised if Spotify has more "euro-centric" songs since it comes from Europe and the US-based ones likely have more "US-centric" music. This will likely change as the services become more and more global.

I guess people should try them all and see what they like the most.

Anyway I still have lots of invites left if someone wants to try Spotify out.

Last edited:
Well, in order for spotify to be able to launch in the US they had to change their model. Before there was one free version with commercials another commercial version with better quality and without commercials. Now the free version is much more limited. However I still think it is the best global service, if there is a local service for US and Canada they are bound to have more songs that citizens from US and Canada are looking for but spotify need to have this for all places in the world where they exist. I listen to a lot of swedish music for example....

I guess people should try them all and see what they like the most.
Totally agree. BTW ... I have Spotify invites available if anyone needs one ;)

Well, in order for spotify to be able to launch in the US they had to change their model. Before there was one free version with commercials another commercial version with better quality and without commercials. Now the free version is much more limited. However I still think it is the best global service, if there is a local service for US and Canada they are bound to have more songs that citizens from US and Canada are looking for but spotify need to have this for all places in the world where they exist. I listen to a lot of swedish music for example….

Well, since the four 'majors' control ~95% of global music sales, it would seem that their libraries should be generally available across all sources. Also, when you have a service with 15 million tracks, one with 13, and one with 11 ... wouldn't you expect to have the MOST success finding stuff on the one with 15 million? I mean, I don't listen to pop or mainstream ... and I have even found this true with stuff from German record labels ...

It isn't that Spotify is bad - I use it daily ... but it is really no better than existing services. People in the US got the 'on demand' void filled, but expected Spotify to be so much better. Now there is a backlash and loads of people who had subscribed (i.e. paid) who are dropping the service since the others do many things better (but not the iTunes integration).

Also, in the US the launch was invite or pay ... so the paid numbers you see are artificially inflated due to hype.

Well, since the four 'majors' control ~95% of global music sales, it would seem that their libraries should be generally available across all sources. Also, when you have a service with 15 million tracks, one with 13, and one with 11 … wouldn't you expect to have the MOST success finding stuff on the one with 15 million? I mean, I don't listen to pop or mainstream … and I have even found this true with stuff from German record labels …
I tried searching for Swedish music and predictably enough there was more on Spotify than the others. I'm too lazy to really try to compare it though.

It isn't that Spotify is bad - I use it daily … but it is really no better than existing services. People in the US got the 'on demand' void filled, but expected Spotify to be so much better.

This is probably true. Spotify was pretty late in the USA so people there who like streamed music probably listen to something else already.

I bounce around a lot, so Spotify is hitting this year's spot. Since I listen to music mostly from the 80's, along with musicals/broadway and some pop music, they all seem to have every song I would be looking for. Right now, I'm looking for stuff from Glee, which is an American TV show. I think Spotify has the whole library, so it's doing the job for me. I guess my musical tastes are not too discerning. I seem to like most of the stuff the Glee kids do but I haven't even heard of some of the groups that sing these songs (Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Bieber, etc).

Note: It's probably very obvious I don't have children of my own or I'd at least be familiar with some of these groups/artists.

Actually now Spotify already has as many paying users as MOG and rdio combined.... and it only existed a few weeks, while the other have been around for over a year. So they must be doing something right.

Actually now Spotify already has as many paying users as MOG and rdio combined…. and it only existed a few weeks, while the other have been around for over a year. So they must be doing something right.

Like I said - what they did right was capture the hype. People were told it was 'better than iTunes, better than piracy'. What they didn't know was that Rdio and MOG already existed and each was in many ways better than Spotify. Also, since it was invite only, many folks paid just for access and can cancel at any time. So I anticipate that the 175,000 will not continue to climd at that rate.

... and again I don't want to seem too down on the service. I use it almost daily, but also regularly find stuff missing, which is perplexing to me. Also, the mobile apps are definitely the worst for the category ...

I tried the free version for a bit but thought there were to many ads so went back to my ad-less internet radio stations. I'm sure the paid version is better but with zillions (a few I even like) of internet stations I just don't see the need for me to pay.

Back
Top Bottom