The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I guess I'm old at heart. I own three Sting albums and I'm not even thirty yet. ;)

@Thaurin:
Hmmm, that sounds pretty nice actually. I like romantic doom every now and then, I'll have to check out that band more closely.

I like the entire album, completely. That is a pretty rare occurence, really, and is the privilege of the true classics such as Reign in Blood (Slayer), Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden), Painkiller (Judas Priest), Extreme Aggression (Kreator), or Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (Candlemass). The songs fit together like Lego.

Wikipedia told me Saturnus adds a touch of gothic metal. I guess that's where this "romantic" part you hear comes from.

I recently discovered the doom metal band Saturnus and their CD Veronika Decides To Die. I always slit my wrists when I listen to this.

Thanks alot for the doomy entries guys, my favorite style of music. I kinda like the Saturnus (big fan of early Theatre of Tragedy here), but the growly lyrics at times are kinda monstrishly gurgly for me, like grindcore or something, as opposed to more "otherworldy" growls (i guess youd call it) like tristania or something. Kinda kills the romance. I'll give it a whirl, maybe it'll grow on me. I like the doom jazz too, that's really cool! Ive been looking for something doomy me and my tigress can both listen to. Most of the stuff i do like Evoken, Doom VS, or Draconian is just too heavy and dark for her, she cant handle it.

I'll download the mp3 edition of "Veronika.." and give it a shot here at work today. Then i get to try out the doom jazz lol ='.'=

My current doom band is Mourning Beloveth, listening to "The Sullen Sulcus" a lot lately, strangely titled but awesome slab of ultra-heavy, slow doom.

As for the more gothic/romantic stuff, I can strongly suggest My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose the Swans", How Like a Winter's "Beyond my Grey Wake" (good luck getting ahold of that one), Theatre of Tragedy's "Velvet Darkness They Fear", Tristania's "widow's weeds", and The Sins of Thy Beloved's "Lake of Sorrow"

Last edited:
As for the more gothic/romantic stuff, I can strongly suggest My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose the Swans", How Like a Winter's "Beyond my Grey Wake" (good luck getting ahold of that one), Theatre of Tragedy's "Velvet Darkness They Fear", Tristania's "widow's weeds", and The Sins of Thy Beloved's "Lake of Sorrow"

Good ones, especially Swans.
The Crown of Sympathy rules the genre with the iron fist.
Also, from time to time I put on And When He Falleth from Theatre. That spoken passage kills.
It´s kinda pity that MDB stopped developing after the unsuccess of ...Complete.
I really liked that album.

Oh, and here´s my contribution for today.

Arthur Brown - Fire

Now, that´s what I call kvlt :lol:.
Taken from Top of the Pops 1968, bwhahahaha!!

Finally someone on this board I can talk shop about Theatre of Tragedy w/. Do you know what the spoken passage (it's a movie sample) is from?

Both samples on that cd are Vincent Price. The "when he falleth" sample is from "Masque of the Red Death", and the first sample on the cd during ""Fair and 'Guiling Copesmate Death" is from "The Fall of the House of Usher"

Awesome music

Geez, we need to lighten this thread up a bit. How about a little indiepop?

"Frown" by Chicklet

Been working my way through Duke Ellington: Masterpieces 1926 - 1949 after putting it back on my computer to load onto my iPod Touch. 4 huge CD's.

The terms 'legendary' and 'genius' are tossed around to the point of being meaningless, but sometimes it is good to remember that those terms do have meaning and proper usage.

Most of the stuff i do like Evoken, Doom VS, or Draconian is just too heavy and dark for her, she cant handle it.

What about classic doom like Candlemass? And don't let the death growls put you or her off of Saturnus, it'll grow on her (especially if she gets into more of those kinds of vocals, Novembers Doom, Swallow the Sun, etc.)

I'll download the mp3 edition of "Veronika.." and give it a shot here at work today.

I'm interested to know what your final judgment is, since this album blew me away like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, Saturnus is a winner - I listened to it a few times over the course of two days and I definitely like it. Death growls do not put me off at all, some of my favorite bands are all-growls, but I'm kinda particular, and i didnt really like the tone of it and the accent made it sound kinda weird. But it's grown on me.

I like "Tales of Creation" by Candlemass a lot, havent really gotten into any of their other stuff tho. That might be one she can handle, lately we've been meeting in the middle w/ stuff like Sting, Blue October, etx.

BTW - kudos on the Arthur Brown thing, holy shiite! I laughed my ass off!

Well, Saturnus is Danish, so they'll have a huge accent for sure. ;) Anyway, there's lots of more Candlemass stuff that's really worthwhile like their first full-length Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall and even more than I know. Candlemass - Live is an extremely good live CD and you should get it, seriously. I'm actually catching up on Candlemass as they've put out some new stuff over recent years that's actually very good!

How about a new 'sub-topic' ... Train Wreck Albums.

These are things you know are bad by artists that are generally very good, but yet you find yourself listening to them.

Here is mine:

Wings: Back to the Egg.

I bought this new back in ~'81 and liked a few songs, but it quickly faded to obscurity. However, as we were moving last year I had a place to put all my records, so this came out and I digitized it and added it to my iPod. It really is crap, but again this morning I find myself humming 'Arrow through me' and listened to it getting ready ...

Back
Top Bottom