Scribblenauts

We're having loads of fun with this one.

This is the typical type of game that'll never make it onto the PC.

The PC platform is - cynically speaking - too much degraded nowadays that similar games would survive there.

I had to look King Rollo up to find out what it was and you're right it looks like the artist was heavily influenced by King Rollo or it's the same guy :)

I could easily see wasting my time with this game during my breaks at school. I even have a few creative writing ideas for my students that would go perfectly with this game.

Now I just need to buy the DS.

Yeah David McKee he's probably more famous for Mr Benn. It is Rollo it's been a while since I've seen it.

As far as I know it's just available on the Nintendo DS.

Here is their homepage. I'm so getting this after I get the DS....not sure when that'll be though. Too many PC game purchases coming up soon.

I've decided to get the DS just because of this game. It's just too cool. I mean who hasn't wanted to see Cthulhy take on god and his shotgun.

Also, I've already thought of a couple of writing ideas using this game as a premise. It's very difficult to get kids interested in writing and using their imagination for anything other than the 'poo monster'. I swear, if I see one more 'poo monster' character I'm going to scream.

But throw in a competition and the kids go crazy over it. Competitions are a great way to stimulate the creative process. My idea is every week or two weeks have them come up with a way to solve whatever puzzle is presented. The most creative and well written one gets to try it out in the game.

God, I wish I had these games when I was a kid. We had Speak and Spell and a few other programs that went onto DOS, but that's nothing compared to what they get now.

That's why I love this job, I can have a blast buying toys and other games for my kids. It's amazing how much fun it is just shopping around for prizes for my students. I don't think I ever have to fully grow up :D

Thanks, Woges. I would of never even gave this game a second look if you hadn't of posted it here.

Another DS title I've got my eyes on is somewhat more in-line with the Watch's interests and that is a restart of the old Fighting Fantasy books with Warlock of Firetop Mountain - waiting for them to get more details out about the game though. I've ordered Scirbblemauts for the lady friend but I urr might take a little peek meself.

I don't think I ever have to fully grow up :D

Hopefully not - where's the fun in that?!?

I have heard that Scribblenauts gets old fast and that the controls are frustrating ... haven't gotten it away from my kids enough to know!

Hopefully not - where's the fun in that?!?

I have heard that Scribblenauts gets old fast and that the controls are frustrating … haven't gotten it away from my kids enough to know!

Yeah, I've seen a few remarks made on the controls and it doesn't surprise me that it would get old fast, but it's the idea that is quite compelling and probably not one that appeals to all.

I've asked a few people and I'm still unsure about the answer, maybe somewhere here can help me out.

If I buy a DS here in Asia, can I use games I bought online from America or Hong Kong. That is the main reason I don't buy a console. Most of the games here are in Chinese/Japanese and in most of the systems you can't use any games from other regions.

That sorta pisses me off, but what am I going to do? Other than refusing to buy some stupid console I never really cared.

But what about handheld? I'm not sure about those. Does anyone know if the system restricts the games you can play based on regions? The Wii, X-Box and I believe the PS3 do this. Though I've heard that if I get a PS3 made in Japan I can use any game from any region.

Well I have a UK DSi and imported The Dark Spire from the US and it works fine.

CVG have the details on what is going to be locked down here.

The important bit:

"Nintendo DS software however is region free so you can play any DS software on DSi from any region. You can also browse the Internet on your DSi wherever you are in the world and exchange your photos with friends from around the world."

Awesome, thanks again woges. Now I don't have to worry about if there will be English games available for it. I can just order them from the States or Hong Kong.

One thing worth noting is that the DS lite has a GBA slot in it while the DSi doesn't so the lite may well be the better choice for some.

Most handheld games are region-free ... with the DSi there are actually a few region-specific games popping up that use the special features.

Back
Top Bottom