RPG Codex - 2007 in Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Codex has kicked up their traditional Year in Review article, with Section8 and Elwro stepping up in VD's absence:
Arguably the biggest RPG news of the year is the unholy union between Oblivion and Fallout. We've seen Bethesda acquire the Fallout IP outright from Interplay, launch their official forums for the game, but most of all - show us graphic scenes of their ill-conceived flipper baby. Forget harlequin fetus, Fallout 3 is the new shock.
It seems Bethesda likes all things nuclear. By shooting at abandoned cars, you'll be able to provoke small nuclear explosions. One of your weapons (called "Fatman”) will use nuclear bombs as ammunition. The game also has its own Fargoth, but this time it's a whole city! Creatively named "Megaton”, it was built in (or around, if you prefer trusting Desslock to believing Pete Hines) the crater of an unexploded bomb. And you can bet your vintage Ink Spots collection that the magnificent example of choice given to the player (you can explode the bomb, or NOT!) will be mentioned a hundred times in the game's previews to come. The screenshots we've seen contain almost exclusively bloom; the teaser we've watched was uninspired at best. (The magnificent concept art we were shown turned out not to have anything to do with the game.)
More information.

Somehow when you read anything on that site it is almost always negative....do the like anything?

edit:eek:ops they liked the witcher. I guess they liked something:p

Last edited:
edit:eek:ops they liked the witcher. I guess they liked something:p

And Mask of the Betrayer. And the indie releases.

Hell, they liked more releases than they disliked, this year, though they also see some worrying trends.

From this year's big releases, we like The Witcher and Mask of the Betrayer. From the smaller ones, quite a few of us like Eschalon (just finished it) and Depths of Peril. We also have some Spiderweb fans... generally, we're quite a positive bunch. It's just that in previous years, as cRPG fans we didn't have many reasons to be happy.

This year certainly had more cRPG-related things to be pleased with! And the outlook looks promising for 2008.

This year certainly had more cRPG-related things to be pleased with! And the outlook looks promising for 2008.

I disagree.

The indie outlook looks good. But AAA? No. Then again, I would've said that of 2007 too, a year ago.

The indie outlook looks good. But AAA? No.
Well, that's what I meant :D But for starters, there's this mysterious The Witcher project by roXidy games (formerly DLA team, so perhaps it still deserves the indie status, my bad). And who knows what CDPRed will surprise us with :D

Seriously, if Age of Decadence, Mysteries of Westgate and Purgatorio are all good (and get released), I won't need anything more as I'll be indefinitely replaying them :D

They mention another indie RPG being developed by their forum members: Scars of War. Have we been covering that?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21736

Not yet. Naked Ninja is also a member here and I cast an occasional eye on his GarageGames blog thingy - I'll catch up with him when I have the chance (say "hi" if you read this). Broadly, I thought I'd wait until it has a proper site and more content in place - but apologies if I am misrepresenting the status.

You know, when you slog thru the "attitude for attitude's sake", there's a few nuggets of info over there. Not a bad article.

Actually, it's way more positive than last year's :) Nice one, indeed.

I didn't see any mention of 2 Worlds; did I miss it?

Good catch. We've all missed it. Now that you mention it, quite a few people at the Codex liked it, but obviously none of us involved with writing the article have played it.

Heh, the game gets made in the city I live in and I forget all about it.

Still, shame on us!

We'll see about that... but I'll be sure to include info about TW's addon in the "On the Horizon" piece.:D

Well, the radars pretty low down under!! :biggrin:

Personally, I can't wait to try the NWN2 mod set in the Planescape setting, any news on that lately?

Seriously, if Age of Decadence, Mysteries of Westgate and Purgatorio are all good (and get released), I won't need anything more as I'll be indefinitely replaying them :D

Mysteries of Westgate and Purgatorio ? Never heard of them, so thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom