Gov Perry apparently wasn't kidding concerning Texas Secession

It is where you draw the line in the sand ..."oppressed", "rights taken away"? this is not USSR! How about ireconcilable difference to end that marriage for life? It is about respect of individual and state right where the federal government tramples all over. Bet you miss RP's point...when the collasal f*&king sandcastle is about to collapse, guess who will be under it. Perry's words are a dime a dozen...but to have this debate among texan is worth million and perhaps save billions.

More RP's voice on CNN this moring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EsFXrkDL-Q&eurl
I have a right to own a gun. The Supreme Court just knocked out the DC gun ban law last year, so victory for the 2nd Amendment. The concept of pure states rights has pretty much been anachronistic since the states have needed to rely upon the feds for money. The states are still largely free to do what they want, but in doing so they lose federal funding for various projects.

I'd thought it was that the west isn't fighting wars against opponents of remotely similar strength or with any slight prospect of taking the fight to us any more.

Germany was pretty tough, had they left Russia alone and had their allies not given America a politically palatable reason to join in they would almost certainly have conquered most of Europe. Even by the time dresden was bombed we might not have been in much danger of losing, but the act of winning was inflicting a huge toll and a strong message like that did hasten the end of it all.

There's an argument that the carpet bombing of those cities did not help us win the war. "Amongst the Dead Cities" goes into that. I think they showed it didn't really do too much damage to Germany and it actually increased enlistment rates as wlel.

Media coverage has probably increased the political cost of a Dresden or Hamburg a lot. Unless the public is in a besieged state of mind (Israel comes to mind) or in affect (the US immediately post 9-11 seems like an example) it doesnt really want to see such things done in its name. Vietnam seems like a historical turning point, and the improved communications of today has made it even more difficult to present a clean surface.

EDIT: Benedict is right as well. In a life and death struggle the gloves would be off.

Yeah. Those are definitely factors as well; but since we have the ability to avoid mass civilian casualties we are "obligated" to do so. Of course if we were in a WW3 situation against Russia or China I completely agree we'd do whatever we needed to in order to secure victory.

Perhaps because canadians living in Taiwan arent very representative of the canadian population as a whole? Just like american living in Paris are certainly not representative of the american people!

One question: Did you open your eyes wide enough to see (over in Taiwan)? The first post I meant Canadians in Taiwan but assumed, wrongly, that people would know since I live here in TAIWAN that I was talking about them and I sure as hell said (OVER IN TAIWAN) in the second post. So don't give me that garbage about "Representative of a blah blah blah" I had already made it abundantly clear in the second post that I meant the Canadians I met OVER HERE. Every single one of them has said they're from Canada and you are the first who says different.

Cleared up for you..Good.

There's an argument that the carpet bombing of those cities did not help us win the war. "Amongst the Dead Cities" goes into that. I think they showed it didn't really do too much damage to Germany and it actually increased enlistment rates as wlel.

I believe the general theory was to devastate them so badly that it would break the will of the Germans ever to go to war again. I think it was pretty effective in that regard.

And since this thread is about Texas Independence, HAPPY SAN JACINTO DAY EVERYONE!

18 Minutes

sanjac-big.jpg

san_jacinto.jpg

I believe the general theory was to devastate them so badly that it would break the will of the Germans ever to go to war again. I think it was pretty effective in that regard.

I think losing Prussia to Poland helped in that sense, too. I think the book makes the argument that the demoralizing plan didn't work all too well - I've only had the time to skim parts of it briefly but it's next on my "pleasure" reading list after the Carl Sagan book I'm reading now.

I'd be interested to know more about it. There's no doubt that, at least for West Germany, there was significant change in societal attitude towards central authority, war, etc. in the years immediately after WWII. I bet there are psychologists that have made entire careers studying that.

Okay, Dr. now-it-all, you nailed it! People that state to know the truth of any matter up for opinion are brainwashed, people who are willing to reason and see their opinion is never right (as it is an opinion) are not.

You're the one who said it. Not sure what it has to do with what I said though. Or what you mean, for that matter.

Video games create a lot of mental “unhealth” amongst youth, which will reflect on those youths when they become adults, resulting in a lot of unhappy adults.

Citation needed.

So does competition, discipline, lack of hugs, being told “no,” and everything else.

Lack of hugs may cause mental unhealth. It probably does, due to our need for physical closeness to our parents. But the rest causes mental unhealth? In what way?

Depending on your mindset children will always have crap thrown at them that is evil/wrong/bad for society no matter what.

So because of this we should allow a policy that will make the average kid a mental wreck?

Maybe we should restrict certain books that don’t have the better consequences of other books, maybe making them illegal would be right. Maybe we should restrict speech that doesn’t have the better consequences of other nicer types of speech. Maybe we should restrict opinions in lieu of opinions that have better consequences.

Talking hate speech there? In general I'm a great believer in spreading of information though. So there's pretty much no such thing as banning certain kinds of books/speech because doing so has better consequences than not doing so.

What is right? What is a better consequence? You are talking opinion with some sort of moral authority and correctness.

What is wrong? And, more importantly, why is it wrong? I've found nothing but consequences to motivate why there can be right and wrong. The option is God, and I'm an agnostic so that doesn't work. What is good consequences then? I'd say that is what improves the well being of pepole (I'd say happiness, but well being is a more general term that includes happiness). Why? Well, what better definition is there?

As for opinions, avoiding opinions is impossible. But at least I try to go beyond the "well, I think social security is a good idea" and acually try to put some kind of substance to my statements. Why is it a good idea?

"The only freedom which counts is the freedom to do what some other people think to be wrong. There is no point in demanding freedom to do that which all will applaud. All the so-called liberties or rights are things which have to be asserted against others who claim that if such things are to be allowed their own rights are infringed or their own liberties threatened. This is always true, even when we speak of the freedom to worship, of the right of free speech or association, or of public assembly. If we are to allow freedoms at all there will constantly be complaints that either the liberty itself or the way in which it is exercised is being abused, and, if it is a genuine freedom, these complaints will often be justified. There is no way of having a free society in which there is not abuse. Abuse is the very hallmark of liberty." -- Former Lord Chief Justice Halisham

I agree, in a sence. But I use it to justify taxes and the likes... :D

"Too many people are only willing to defend rights that are personally important to them. It's selfish ignorance, and it's exactly why totalitarian governments are able to get away with trampling on people. Freedom does not mean freedom just for the things *I* think I should be able to do. Freedom is for all of us. If people will not speak up for other's people's rights, there will come a day when they will lose their own." - Tony Lawrence

I agree with this too.

"Once governments are given the authority to restrict the liberty of some sane adults for what it considers their physical or moral welfare, there is no principled stopping point in terms of what governments will have the authority to prohibit. The consequence will be that virtually anything which anyone holds of most value may become prohibited to them on grounds of its being judged immoral or dangerous to them. There are practically no forms of activity in which sane adults like to engage that others are not able to find reasons to condemn as morally or physically bad for those who engage in them. This ranges from drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco, to eating certain types of food, to not taking exercise, to taking too much, engaging in dangerous sports, practising certain religions, not practising any religion, reading books on science, etc. Unless government draws the line at only prohibiting conduct that harms others against their will, no member of society can be secure in being able to do or have anything they most want and value." --David Conway

Well, I prefer this to anarchy. Why? Because at least I'm not at the mercy of crimelords with guns if it's the goverment that's in charge.

The only thing I suffer from is the tendency to try and reason with insufferable bastards far too often. What I have is called a constant narrative, an overarching philosophy, which is the freedom for others to do that in which I disagree with.

I have one of those too. Mine's grounded in reality (consequences). What's yours grounded in?

What everyone else has is a hodgepodge amalgamated opinion filled with hypocrisy and contradictions which boils down to, “People should do what I believe to be correct, because my opinion makes sense and is right.” Its childish ignorance, and dangerous.

Like I said above, that's the kind of shit I try to avoid. By the way, are you aware that this is pretty much exactly what you're doing? "We should abolish the goverment, abolish taxes and yadda yadda yadda! Why? Because I think everything else is tyranny!" You're not really saying "we should do this because I think so", but I made the same modifications to your reasoning you do about everyone else.

It a bigoted statement, never intended to be open minded. I don’t want them to be forced to dress like an adult.

What I wonder is why you even care about what they like to wear. It's a complete waste of energy!

Well, again what you think should have nothing to do with it. Can adults enter into contracts? Yes. Would the contracts cause any direct physical harm to anyone? No. No restriction. And who is to say what is and isn’t in the best interest of society? Freedom is not in the best interest of society. Go to communist China and see how nice a government that makes policy for the best interest of society can be (and it is nice, truly).

Like Ritahrandil said, China isn't working in the best interest of society. You could say they're working in the best interest of the state. Freedom might not be in the best interest of the state. But what's in the best interest of society is what's in the best interest of the pepole, since the pepole is the society.

If you want a good example of this, I suggest you look at Scandinavia.

Übereil

Oh I'm sure it probably didn't work out quite as intended, these kind of things never do, but at the time I'm sure it seemed like an extremely good idea given the sheer scale of the war.

Oh I'm sure it probably didn't work out quite as intended, these kind of things never do, but at the time I'm sure it seemed like an extremely good idea given the sheer scale of the war.

According to Albert Speer, the only strategic bombing raid that made a serious dent in the Nazi war machine was the Schweinfurt one. He said that if the Allies had concentrated on hammering strategic industries such as those ball-bearing factories, fuel refineries, and what not, the game would've been up within about three months of them achieving air superiority. Instead, they wasted massive amounts of bombs, fuel, planes, and men carpet-bombing cities and hitting relatively unimportant industrial targets, such as assembly plants.

Interestingly, the Allied air command had a very good idea of where the good targets were; the Germans hadn't succeeded in cointel operations well enough to hide them. What they lacked was someone with a good understanding of how an industrial economy works and what its weak spots are, so they were picking targets off the list more or less at random. It is, after all, not at all obvious that, say, a shipyard or tank factory is far less valuable a target than a ball-bearing factory.

Then out of the many dozens of Canadians I've met over the past 7 years, you are the first who would of replied that way. Hell there are more Canadians over here than there are Americans or South Africans and not one has ever said they're from Quebec or anywhere else in Canada. I actually have to inquire further for them to tell me. So, from my experience and point of view, Canadians (over in Taiwan) always answer from Canada.

Ask Flemish Belgians where they're from and if they even remotely think that you know anything substantial about Belgium then you'll have almost half of them telling you they're Flemish.

Bomber Harris argued that IIRC, but there isnt much pointing to him being correct (other parts of the bombing campaign against the Ploesti oilfields and industry were effective though, and it tied up a lot of advanced resources as the Germans spent on air defense). Civilian morale was pretty high until 1945 in spite of these bombings.

Having enemy armies all over your country and seeing it split in two, as well as having your leaders hanged as criminals, probably did more than Dresden to cure German delusions of grandeur.

Yeah. Those are definitely factors as well; but since we have the ability to avoid mass civilian casualties we are "obligated" to do so. Of course if we were in a WW3 situation against Russia or China I completely agree we'd do whatever we needed to in order to secure victory.

I wonder how much the public knows (or possibly even cares) about military ability compared to their personal experience and morals. The British had a "moral backlash" at home during the boer war already, and at that point of time they certainly didnt have the ability to do surgical warfare unless the enemy was holed up in a seaside palace in Zanzibar.

Last edited:
Seems pretty intuitive to me--not many priorities higher than protecting one's balls.

Ask Flemish Belgians where they're from and if they even remotely think that you know anything substantial about Belgium then you'll have almost half of them telling you they're Flemish.

I don't know any Belgians, Flemish or otherwise. I was just stating a fact that has happened in my life concerning that particular question. I wasn't trying to rip apart Canadians or say that ALL canadians MUST do this. It's just all the Canadians I've met over here (and I've met a lot) state they're from Canada. I don't know if they think I'm ignorant of Canada or what, it's just what everyone of them has told me when asked that question and that is pretty much the first question you ask any foriegner you just met.

Alright,

Next time, please, juste mention "All canadians that I've met in taiwan" it will be far less controversial than simply stating "All canadians".

Thanks! :)

No problem, I tend to leave out tiny little details like the fact that I'm living in Taiwan and I'm speaking from my own exerience ;)

Bomber Harris argued that IIRC, but there isnt much pointing to him being correct (other parts of the bombing campaign against the Ploesti oilfields and industry were effective though, and it tied up a lot of advanced resources as the Germans spent on air defense). Civilian morale was pretty high until 1945 in spite of these bombings.

Having enemy armies all over your country and seeing it split in two, as well as having your leaders hanged as criminals, probably did more than Dresden to cure German delusions of grandeur.
Yup. And tying France and Germany together economically, too.

I wonder how much the public knows (or possibly even cares) about military ability compared to their personal experience and morals. The British had a "moral backlash" at home during the boer war already, and at that point of time they certainly didnt have the ability to do surgical warfare unless the enemy was holed up in a seaside palace in Zanzibar.

I wonder about that myself, but I do chalk up our current attitudes to technology. I mean, if we didn't have the ability to do surgical strikes (and none existed elsewhere) I doubt we'd care as much if we decided to carpet bomb a city.

Back
Top Bottom