Risen 2 - Reviews @ AtomicGamer, Mash Those Buttons

NWN is one of the greatest games on the planet (as long as you realise it's not a single player game) and is far above Fallout 1.

Really I only played single player with all the mods therefore it was a single player game to me. To each there own. I never touched any of those online persistent worlds.

i was talking about single player. nothing compares to fallout 1 or 2 in role playing. period. maybe planescape torment or gothic, but the first 2 definitely does it the best.
and if you want reasons-
no point arguing, there is no dialog tree more varied and interesting than what they've created there. the implantation of combat is pure genius-i love the combat much more than that pause that is on baldur's gate, NWN is not in that equation.
truth be told, i've played NWN twice and that was forcibly -while fallout maybe 8-10 times finishing it differently. baldur's gate maybe 3.
they are much more mature games also than that weird solo helper combo with pause.. the plot also, pretty damn generic.

rikus said:
i was talking about single player. nothing compares to fallout 1 or 2 in role playing. period.

However, the magazine you seemed hellbent on ridiculing wasn't evaluating single player gaming experiences, they were evaluating games as a whole. And as a whole package NWN wipes the floor with Fallout 1, which was why it received a higher score.

couchpotato said:
Really I only played single player with all the mods therefore it was a single player game to me. To each there own. I never touched any of those online persistent worlds.

If you're playing NWN for it's single player campaign then (I'm sorry to say) you've almost wasted your money. There's better single player games out there and you've kind of missed the point of NWN anyway. NWN allowed people to:

In a gaming first, Neverwinter Nights allows gamers to design, build, and share their own role-playing modules using the ‘BioWare Aurora Neverwinter Toolset.’ Gamers will take the role of online ‘Dungeon Master,’ creating and presenting their challenges to the Internet community with support for up to 64 players simultaneously.

Which was the actual purpose of NWN. The aurora toolset is still by far the most powerful toolkit to be released to the public and it made NWN one of the best games ever to be released (as long as you're in to multiplayer gaming).

The toolset was obviously a major part of NWN2 but, despite what some people say, the single-player campaign was hyped with all the usual terms "epic, groundbreaking", etc, so you can't blame people interested in SP for taking it as stated. And you can't blame them for subsequently being disappointed.

If you're playing NWN for it's single player campaign then (I'm sorry to say) you've almost wasted your money. There's better single player games out there and you've kind of missed the point of NWN anyway. NWN allowed people to:

Nah I swill say it again I missed nothing, I had 100hrs of enjoyment from all the single player mods made by the community. Same with NWN 2 all thanks to the module creators. I don't care if mp was the intended focus.

and it made NWN one of the best games ever to be released (as long as you're in to multiplayer gaming).

I don't care about MP.

That's why the major gaming contributors are slowly but steadily squeezing me out of the gaming business. *Everything* becomes more & more MP-oriented these days.

But enough of this ranting. I said it several times before and I feel as if there was nothing anymore to dd to it.

Of the major RPGs released that year - one of the Gothics, Arx, DivDiv and NWN -, NWN single player was certainly not in the top 3 in terms of quality. Not even close.

Back
Top Bottom