Devilian - RPS Preview

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Rock, Paper, Shotgun is calling Devilian, a new Korean Diablo-like MMO, an "afternoon nap in gaming form". Ouch.

dev1.jpg

Devilian is the gaming equivalent of a convincingly painted view of scenery. It looks pretty decent until you get too close, and bang your head on the wall. It’s a cross between an action RPG and a free-to-play MMO, that offers an expanse of entirely free content, eight hundred thousand different in-game currencies, ninety-seven billion menus, and an almost hypnotically bland grind.

Which makes me think: there must have been so many talented people working on this. It looks great, it’s functional, enormously complex systems are all interacting and working, thousands of players are simultaneously on one server… none of this is easy to get right. And yet the result is something completely without inspiration, wholly derivative, and existing only to hopefully pull in some of that sweet, sweet Marketplace purchasing before the next game exactly like it comes along. What a strange thing to work so hard to create.

More information.

LOL My thoughts exactly.

It's an extremely competent game; nice to look at, very responsive controls, satisfying combat.

Yet ... I cannot bring myself to log in again. I'd rather log into Rift which I've been playing since release.

Such a shame.

Dunno about Rift, I just logged on League of Legends to make sure I forget this one exists.

Good analysis. Shows how good minds can be invested, and a lot of money and resources involved, yet the end product is bland and forgettable.

Last edited:
Such a shame.

After playing Path of Exile I found a promising D3 alternative, it looks like a pretty good MMO called Lost Ark.

It does look good. I wonder if it will even be available in the US?

As far as I know it hits the Korean market next year, so hopefully we'll see a NA/EU release sometime in 2017. By that time it should end up more polished as well which is a bonus.

Korean market needs revolution to jump in.
If a game provides nothing new, and this one looks like yet another clone of clones, noone there will touch it.

The art style is definitely Korean... But it's acceptable because it's not ridiculous... This game has dope skill systems... something called a Tripodo Systema which kicks ass and others.

Back
Top Bottom