Ember - Video Review @ ACG

That reviewer needs to catch a breath or three, he's either high or his electricity was about to be cut off… Seems like a fairly decent game for the price, might have to indulge.

Might try this, looks quite nice. I wonder how the game play and writing are.

I posted this in another thread. I liked it.

Quick review of Embers. Picked it up and played all day.
In no particular order.

Pros
- Story decent
- Sound, Music (both are surprisingly well done, didn't' expect it)
- Combat simple but effectively tactical
- Exploration and varied environments
- Seamless world load
- Crafting system useful but not complex.
- Price is ridiculously cheap.
- No microtransactions, ingame store, pre-order BS, RMT etc!

Cons
- Lack of subtitles (I love subtitles)
- No natural regeneration (Consume item or sleep), can feel odd sleeping 10 feet from the enemy.
- Lack of passive style skill tree
- Sometimes the drag-skill-to-enemy/partymember can feel clunky.
- Occasionally something won't stick to hotbar.
- Light on some RPG elements
- Enemies disengage if you run away.

Neutral
- Voice over can be quirky and spotty.
- UI can take a bit to get used to.
- RTWP works for the style and nature of the game.

Overall definitely worth it. Mixture of Torchlight, IWD, BG, Diablo. I enjoyed it more than the abomination that is Deus Ex Mankind for 4x the price….. (yes yes, I know they are completely different genres). The 'carry bedroll' reminds me of Divinity and Ultima.

So…how close is it to Dungeon Siege I/II? Haven't played anything like it in quite a while…the whole light hearted adventure( Kurr, kurr!).
Karak does comprehensive reviews, but he can be a bit too positive.

You can compare it to the first Divine Divinity Action RPG.

I woudln't compare it to the first DD; the first DD was far more complex than this game not just in story, skills, but also world layout (hidden items, traps, other stuff). Would love to see DD with updated graphics but that is a side issue.
-
One really annoying thing I found with this game is i like to split enemies up (divide and conquer) but if you drag one of them too far from their 'area' they auto re-heal even if you are still fighting them. Had a bear down to near 0 hp and then one step too far and it is back to full hp.

One really annoying thing I found with this game is i like to split enemies up (divide and conquer) but if you drag one of them too far from their 'area' they auto re-heal even if you are still fighting them. Had a bear down to near 0 hp and then one step too far and it is back to full hp.

Sounds like an un-bear-able bug to me.

That reviewer needs to catch a breath or three, he's either high or his electricity was about to be cut off…

Seems to be the trend in videos nowadays. A lot of people talk super fast and make a million edits. I noticed it awhile back when checking out a few different video game reviewers/YouTube channels in general. Some of the different videos were edited so many times it was insane. Like an edit every 2 seconds. And the hosts/people doing the videos were talking so fast. If you watch some younger folks play games, too, you might notice them rushing at light speed as well. I guess it's a generational thing or something. I know my dad used to tell me to slow down all the time when I was growing up. Now I understand what he was saying. :)

Anywho, thanks for the coverage/comments on this game. It sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in.

A nod to Ultima

Love when Devs respect their history:

Attachments

• 20160911190058_1.jpg
    20160911190058_1.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 42
No subtitles? Ouch. Sad to say, that issue makes me not buying it (and I was considering it). Not being a native english speaker, I often do need subtitles to get what's being said. (It doesn't have to be in the Hero's tongue of course. When watching DVD's and such I usually turn on English subtitles in stead of Norwegian, if available).

Additionally, reading is usually faster than listening.

pibbur who also prefers reading reviews over watching them on Youtube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom