No Enemy Respawn In PC RPG's

Nedwin04

Traveler
Hi everyone.

I find myself in a minority of people who like single player rpgs with no respawning enemies. The idea of completely wiping out the whole map is something I love doing, and makes me feel like my character is making the in-game world safer.

However, searching forums for a list of rpgs with this feature has proven limited.

So, I thought I'd come up with a list for anyone like me, who hates it when you wipe out an area only to come back 5 minutes later and see it infested again (eg. the Sacred games).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why enemy respawn in games is usually needed, but I just personally don't enjoy it as much.

So here's my list:

1. Two Worlds (This game is a perfect example of why no enemy respawn works)
2. Gothic 1 and 2 (enemies do reappear in each chapter, but only a few here and there)
3. Gothic 3 and Forsaken Gods
4. Arcania - Gothic 4 (I never actually completed this game because it got boring)
5. Risen 1 and 2 (very much like the first Gothics with the chapter system)
6. Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity (loved the first one… couldn't stand the second)
7. Divinity 2 (the flames of vengeance expansion dungeons do have respawn however)

Okay, so it's a short one but if you know of any others do let me know below.

The reasons for respawns in G1 are for a specific storyline plot reason, they are not just some extra beasts to kill for exp' - similar in G2, the purpose relates to the fact that NH is an avatar of Adanos the god of animals, there is a timed (quest sequential) purpose when you may and when you may not kill beasts or orcs, a very little understood aspect of the gothics by the many who have played. It is all written in a *subliminal* (indirectly suggestive) way in the game's lore books.

For these reasons the gothics examples used this thread are meaningless, try some other examples such as Inquisitor etc' - you must also ascertain the differences between hack-&-slash (action oriented, eg: filler respawns) and quest related (plot) respawns.

Also distinguish and clarify "enemy" ? - do you mean "anything that can be killed? or what?

@Wulf - this is a 'No-Respawn-List'

Fallout 1 & 2 have no respawn.

Torment too, I think. Except in a dedicated "underworld" for grinding XP against tough opposition.

And, of course, I'm just discovering that King's Bounty does not have respawning enemies. Though whether it's an RPG is up for debate, I guess.

@Wulf - this is a 'No-Respawn-List' - Fallout 1 & 2 have no respawn. :lol:
Wikipedia, Spawning (video gaming) - note that the term respawning was coined (first use identifier) by id Software within the game 'Doom'

I like this bit ->

In some games, enemies may be respawned (or, equivalently, new ones spawned) to keep players on their toes and create tension. :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawning_(video_gaming)

m&m 3-5 some respawn in 6-8 (about once a year in-game time)

I actually like respawning if done sparsely and smartly. What I do hate is stomping through an entirely empty world with finite resources. Makes me feel like playing in a snow globe.

Agreed. Very few game mechanics are good/bad per se. It all depends on context and implementation.

Best respawn game mechanics:

Might & Magic: Enemies type X respawn until you clear the hideout with the boss-enemy X.

I recall when I was in a dungeons of Ultima VII black gate there respawned various times some headless, It didn't bothered me, but while in Inquisitor clearing the mines of the infested orcs, particulary where the mages that where annoying and were hard for my paladin it bothered me alot.Add then to your list Darklands,Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima series except for UU 1,2 and don't forget Wizardry.To forgive the flaws of a game and don't to other, is your choice and mistake.

Last edited:
I've grown tired of respawn. It just doesn't give me the sense of "fulfillment" I need to have [for these games].

Joxer? Is that you? ;)

No.
If it was me I'd talk about norespawns and noannoyingrespawns. There are games with mobrespawns that are not a torture, for example they respawn but you can avoid them or you can get to another area by some other means (example: Septera Core and the ship to fly over already cleared maps). Skyrim, where bloody ranged mobs attack you although you've looted a castle, is one of those games where I find endless mobrespawns very annoying.

Magic Candle had partial respawning: in dungeons the monsters were respawned if you re-entered. However the monsters on the world-map only respawned after like 30 days of game time, plus you could see their locations. The latter was a new mechanic for the 8-bit era CRPGs and one of the reasons I loved the game.

Two Worlds 2 - Only wild life respawns and you can disable that with a fan made patch.
Evil Islands
Adventures of Van Helsing
IE Games
Drakensang games
Diablo 1

These are the games that comes to my mind that has no respawning.

I also hate respawn. Especially the ridiculous ones like in Sacred 2. Now mix this with level scaling, result is complete disaster. Ex again Sacred 2. Respawning is one of the reasons why I don't like MMOs much.

But there are some games that use respawning mechanism nicely like Divinity 2 Flames of vengeance or MM3

I normally don't mind respawning, but respawning mixed with level scaling really can be awful. It single handedly prevented me from enjoying the original Sacred, and from what your saying, I made the right choice by avoiding Sacred 2. That combination was also really bad in Wizardry 8, and was ultimately why I stopped playing it.

I also hate respawn. Especially the ridiculous ones like in Sacred 2. Now mix this with level scaling, result is complete disaster.

Two Worlds 2 - Only wild life respawns and you can disable that with a fan made patch.
[...]
Drakensang games

Wildlife also respawns in Drakensang (but these are like 70% of all enemies); the undead respawn until you clear the generators. Can't remember about TRoT.

Back
Top Bottom