Everquest Next - Franchise Updates

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN has a new video with the developers of EverQuest, EQ II, and EQN: Landmark.

Also if your interested in playing the alpha Gamezone has information on the date.

When asked if EverQuest Landmark alpha is still planned for January, Smedly responded, "Yes." Unfortunately, that's all he offered on the subject.

So there you have it — you can expect EverQuest Next Landmark to enter alpha some time between now and the nine days left in January. I'm assuming invites will be extremely limited at first, perhaps open only to veteran SOE game players.
More information.

Last edited:
I'm assuming invites will be extremely limited at first, perhaps open only to veteran SOE game players.

Pffftttt. I'm a veteran SOE (actually it wasn't SOE when Everquest was released but whatever) game player. Veteran enough I remember how all this turned out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verant_Interactive

In April 2000, Verant hired former Ultima Online developers Raph Koster and Rich Vogel. They formed an office in Austin, Texas, to develop Star Wars Galaxies for LucasArts. SOE acquired Verant in June 2000, and eventually promoted Brad McQuaid to be its Chief Creative Officer. In October 2001, McQuaid resigned and then founded Sigil Games Online, drawing many of the original developers of EverQuest from SOE.

There's about a snowball's chance in hell they want their new Everquest tested by anyone who was around and active in original Everquest and on the Everquest forums, back then. My guess is they'll have the game tested by their own employees, and nobody else. I'll refrain from making all the comments about certain industry douchebags that I'd been intending to make. It's effing amazing to me that the very people who so badly screwed up major titles in the past are the ones who keep getting promoted to bigger and better things. Which they also screw up.

I agree, stunning how badly Everquest franchise is being handled. Despite it's forced premature release, Vanguard was clearly much better and much more innovative.

And now Vanguard and a few other SoE properties are being shut down. I've played EQ products since 1998, and I have to say I don't like where they seem to be headed. This easy mode, almost no grouping required current state of most mmo's will be the death of the genre at some point. Probably sooner than later.

"I want to see epic raid zones like NToV"

Ok, ok, I'll pledge damnit! Thanks for the heads-up on this guys! Still, I don't see how they can possibly make an MMO of this scope with Kickstarter.

Back
Top Bottom