Any strategy game enthusiasts?

Recently played Battle Worlds: Kronos.
It's a spiritual successor of the old Battle Isle games from blue byte.
What does that mean?
You play on a Hex based mad and start out with a fixed amount of units. While you cannot build buildings you can conquer them and produce units in them.
The difficulty is rather hard. It has a single player campaign and an asynchronous multiplayer mode. My review was in german for the german version but I guess you get the picture anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86gxLibCqEU

The Problem of that game is, that it leaves not much to do after one or two playthroughs. There isn't too much diversity.
I found it enjoyable and really that is all that matters to me.:p

I was replaying a few 4X space games and the same thing always happens. The late game gets boring as hell. You become way too powerful were the other side can't hope to defeat you anymore.

I did play one 4X RTS game called AI War: Fleet Command that was different. I highly recommend that game with all of the expansions also.

Anyway to get back on topic games like Alpha Centauri all end up the same way, and from my experience most games of this type do.

Before I end the post I just bought Battle Worlds: Kronos the game you mentioned, and it reminds me of the Advance War games. Not bad for a small indie team, and I can say play this game if you have a chance.

Last edited:
I found it enjoyable and really that is all that matter to me.:p Alpha Centauri ended up the same way also, and from my experience most games of this type do.

Well, that's a fair way to see it. But personally when I look a game like that I think more like "I'll spend hundreds of hours in it" - or at least tens of hours. But with this game I don't think you don't get more than 10-20 hours out of it. They are fun, yes and it's not a bad game. You just might expect more.

Another thing I want to recommend isn't a game but a Podcast. It's called Three moves ahead and is located over here: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes
It's an exceptionally good podcast mainly about strategygames, wargames and boardgames from freelance writers who often have developers over there. They don't do interviews with them though but discussions. Jon Schafer (Firaxis/Stardock) is a very frequent guest for example. But they have had all kinds of people there and it's also very interesting as they don't just discuss playing games but also making them. You don't need to listen all of the episodes of course, just check their episode list and you'll find something interesting. XCom, Jagged Alliance, Civilization, Europa Universalis or for example the Board Game "Risk Legacy".

Another thing I want to recommend isn't a game but a Podcast. It's called Three moves ahead and is located over here: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes

It's an exceptionally good podcast mainly about strategygames, wargames and boardgames from freelance writers who often have developers over there. They don't do interviews with them though but discussions. Jon Schafer (Firaxis/Stardock) is a very frequent guest for example. But they have had all kinds of people there and it's also very interesting as they don't just discuss playing games but also making them. You don't need to listen all of the episodes of course, just check their episode list and you'll find something interesting. XCom, Jagged Alliance, Civilization, Europa Universalis or for example the Board Game "Risk Legacy".

Thanks for the link Kordanor. I'll give a look when I have more free time. It's always interesting to see what the developer thought while developing their strategy games.

Is my second favorite genre (after RPGs) and I normally like more RTSs, not turn-based ones.

Some titles I have (series are complete, except when noted)

Age of Empires /Age of Mithology
Command & Conquer
Starcraft
Warcraft
Company of Heroes
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (except Retribution)
Men of War (except Red Tide)
Total Annihilation
Impossible Creatures
Empire Earth (except 3)
KKnD
Cultures
Seven Kingdoms
M.A.X.
Dark Reign
Spellforce
King's Bounty
Heroes of Might and Magic (except 6)
Commandos
Desperados
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
X-Com (except the expansion of the last one)
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Dungeon Keeper
Theme Hospital
Evil Genius
Startopia
Tropico (except 4)
Pharaoh
Zeus
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Zoo Tycoon
Cities in Motion (only the first one)

Is my second favorite genre (after RPGs) and I normally like more RTSs, not turn-based ones.
Theme Hospital I would call this a sim, but yeah it's quote good
Evil Genius
Startopia
Tropico (except 4) What didn't you like about 4 ? or did you not play it ? I felt it was quite fun, played through a few of the missions. Very similar to 3 though.
Pharaoh I only played Caesar III, it's predecessor I believe, but I really loved it at the time. I wouldn't mind another game like this with updated graphics and some new possibilities, maybe added turn-based combat for city defense or raids.
Zeus

My red.

Since were talking about Tropico it seems a part five is going to released. Based on the description it's going to be a little bit different than the others.

Tropico 5

Packed with a whole host of new gameplay features and all new artwork designed from scratch, Tropico 5 takes the series into a new and exciting direction – dynasties!

You, as El Presidente, will first take control of the infamous island of Tropico during early colonial times and then guide it through the centuries as the world changes and moves ever forward. You must tackle the changing needs of your people, as well as opposing governments and factions, and thus lay the foundations for your own dynasty. As you move through your years in office you can promote members of your extended family on the island to positions of power: such as ambassador, commanding general or even Supreme Ruler, to ensure your legacy thrives through the eras. As your influence and wealth grows, so do the threats to your burgeoning island superpower. Can you survive both World Wars, prosper through the Great Depression, rule as an iron-fisted dictator through the Cold War and advance your country to modern times and beyond? From the 19th to the 21st century, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities.

As well as a wealth of other new features, including advanced trading mechanics, technology, scientific research trees and island exploration, Tropico 5 will add cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players for the first time in the series’ history! Viva El Presidente!

Features of Tropico 5
  • The Eras - From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
  • The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
  • Research and Renovate - Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
  • Advanced trade system and trade fleet - Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
  • Explore your island - Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
  • All new art - All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
  • Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.

Since were talking about Tropico it seems a part five is going to released. Based on the description it's going to be a little bit different than the others.

I am glad they are making more effort here.Tropico 4 had too little changes compared to 3 it felt more like expansion pack, not full priced sequel, and they managed to make easier what was already very lite game with instant building option. I hope they don't do that with 5.

Last edited:
Yep, that was the reason why I didn't buy it at all. I mean I'd really love to play a tycoon game again, but my problem with them is: There is only going forward and no challenge. I want to be punished when I do bad like in Dwarf Fortress ;)

Anyone play Conquest of Elysium 3? Just bought it for $1 US (found a 90% off coupon). Reading the manual now.

I messed around with CoE a bit. It's a trimmed down version of Dom 3, done by the same guys. Good for people who aren't interested in all the micromanagement Dom 3 requires. Moves quite a bit faster than some other strat games, including Dom 3. But, it lacks some complexities and customization from Dominions.

I have a coupon for 75% off Dom 3. I was thinking of picking it up but even at $5 it's hard for me to justify yet another purchase for my backlog.

Children of the Nile is a more modern take on Pharaoh
Anyone play Conquest of Elysium 3? Just bought it for $1 US (found a 90% off coupon). Reading the manual now.

I've played it. It is a good game, but after a few rounds (which by the way go by quickly) I felt done with it. For $1 you'll most likely get more than your money's worth of fun out of it though. Dominions 3 (and now 4) are far better though. Sadly with the release of Dom 4, it's hard to recommend Dom 3. Not because Dom 3 is bad or anything like that, but because Dom 4 just takes what Dom 3 did and refines it even further. At this point it feels like the main two reasons to get Dom 3 over Dom 4 is because of Dom 3 mods and the far superior use-made resources (Dom 3 has an excellent Wiki, which makes it a lot easier to get into, and also to look up things. Dom 4 does not have this yet)

Yeah, CoE3 seems fun, but it's a little too simple, I think. I prefer more things to do in strategy games, like city-building and stuff. Someone mentioned the Dom series has more micromanagement...is there city-building, diplomacy, etc.?

Yeah, CoE3 seems fun, but it's a little too simple, I think. I prefer more things to do in strategy games, like city-building and stuff. Someone mentioned the Dom series has more micromanagement…is there city-building, diplomacy, etc.?

No to both. Dominions is really an odd beast, it skimps on things that most strategy games of that type focus on. Improving a province boils down to 3 basic build types (and in 4 some upgrades to those). The main depth (and micromanagement) of Dominions comes from how you build and organize your armies. What units you have, where you have them and what orders you give them is very important for your success on the battlefield, and with mages you can (and should) tell them what spells to cast, instead of letting them decide on their own. The other micromanagement parts are looking magical sites, crafting magical items for your commanders and research, all of which is hugely important (exactly how important depends on what faction you play, but no faction can completely ignore any given part)

Another SP game by design going to the bin. Lots of change indeed. Bye, bye SP.

No to both. Dominions is really an odd beast, it skimps on things that most strategy games of that type focus on. Improving a province boils down to 3 basic build types (and in 4 some upgrades to those). The main depth (and micromanagement) of Dominions comes from how you build and organize your armies. What units you have, where you have them and what orders you give them is very important for your success on the battlefield, and with mages you can (and should) tell them what spells to cast, instead of letting them decide on their own. The other micromanagement parts are looking magical sites, crafting magical items for your commanders and research, all of which is hugely important (exactly how important depends on what faction you play, but no faction can completely ignore any given part)

That still sounds like something I'd be interested in. Thanks for the breakdown!

Back
Top Bottom