MaximumPC - Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is a Disappointment

Comparing Mass Effect to Baldur's Gate is way beyond apples and oranges. It's more like comparing a TV to a bed. They both fit in a house and that's about it.

The comparision was derpy, but the statement still holds water. This "enhanced edition" fixed almost no issues, that the original game had; added a bunch of unneeded stuff including DRM; AND it introduced a truckload of new bugs. Overhyped cashgrab 101. I hope Overhaul games sinks before they get to "enhance" PST (They're too far into BG2, so it will unfortunately get released).

They're not going to sink. I believe it was quite a hit - and considering the effort required, I think they're laughing all the way to the bank.

like dropping the whole D&D system

AD&D is at best a mediocre RPG and a piss poor cRPG. Dropping it was a good idea.

Now if they had used something like the engine for ToEE that would be something else. Imagine the ToEE engine (better yet updated for Pathfinder) with the BG series setting and story. Squeee! But they did not have the license from Hasbro who seems to have decided to milk the last dregs of profit out of D&D and let it die.

Note that I have played D&D since 1976, just a couple years after it first came out.

AD&D is at best a mediocre RPG and a piss poor cRPG. Dropping it was a good idea.

I've spent many hours enjoying D&D both the RPG and CRPG's based on it. Our group is playing through the 2nd Ed Dragonlance campaign at the moment and loving it! :D

Daniel.

Mages are the WEAKEST part of D&D, especially the older editions. They start out pathetically weak and then zoom past all the other classes in power. You can still have a lot of fun with a flawed game, we certainly have, but just because it is fun doesn't mean it is not terribly flawed.

BTW, I play in a D&D 3.5e group right now that has been together since 2000. I previously played A&D before that back to college in 1978 and earlier editions before that.

Do you remember playing with the paper chits before the first set of dice started coming out? I'll never forget popping all those chits out from the laminated paper that was inside the Chainmail stuff :)

I've never seen a mage done better than using D&D, so I love it to hell.

I've spent many hours enjoying D&D both the RPG and CRPG's based on it. Our group is playing through the 2nd Ed Dragonlance campaign at the moment and loving it! :D

Daniel.

He didn't say it couldn't be enjoyed. He just said it was mediocre, which is completely true. A good group can have fun no matter how awful the system is, and a bad group will be tedious no matter how good the system.

Back
Top Bottom