Telepath Tactics - Fluent's Thoughts (Video)

D

Deleted User

Hi everyone! In this video I take a look at the recently-released strategy-RPG, Telepath Tactics, and give you an idea of what to expect in the game, why I like it and why I think you will, too!
smiley-laughing.gif

Hi! Thanks for joining me. In today's video, we take a look at the Kickstarter-funded, turn-based strategy-RPG, Telepath Tactics!

The game is a ton of fun and I highly recommend it. If you like games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and the like, you will definitely find something to enjoy in this gorgeous adventure!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Links:

More info on the game - http://sinisterdesign.net/products/telepath-tactics/

Buy it on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/357940/

Support me on Patreon - http://www.patreon.com/fluent

Check out my stuff on RPGWatch - http://www.rpgwatch.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you like the game, leave me a comment and let me know what you think about it! Also, LIKE/SHARE/SUBSCRIBE for more!

Please check out my Patreon page if you like what I do here on YouTube and RPGWatch!

Thanks for watching!
So, have you played the game, and if so, what do you think about it?

More information.

I haven't played this one. I played and enjoyed the telepath RPG, which had a good story and very well done battles, but the rudimentry inventory, character development, and exploration I found sort of lacking, and I suppose I had many of the same issues I did with the Banner Saga, and to a much lesser degree with Blackguards. I'd be really curious how much choice or exploration is in this game, or whether you're just following a story from point to point like with lots of battles in between.

@forgottenlor, The more I see you post the more you sound like my twin. :D

My biggest gripe about this game (and I don't think I mentioned it in the video), is that it's mostly combat-focused with story cutscenes in between. The story and characters are good, but there's simply not enough 'other stuff' for me. There's really no exploration, very limited inventory management and zero (as far as I can tell) character development, as your characters level up automatically and gain what they will gain without your input. There is also limited choice, and only one part in the story where I was able to freely explore a very small area. So it's simply very limited in those elements (which I should have spoke more about in the video!).

I think if these things are added in a future game in this series, it could really be stellar. As of right now, it's still a very fun game and I'd rate it a solid 8/10 so far. The combat is really well done (and the main focal point of the game), the story has some mystery and the characters are surprisingly fun and quirky. Definitely worth playing to see the foundation that has been built.

Thanks, Fluent. It may not be a game for me. I really think the developer has made an epic tactical combat engine and is a decent story teller, its just there are other games which sound more interesting to me and I haven't picked up yet, or that I'd like to replay and haven't found time to do so.

@forgottenlor, True. The foundation here is very solid, but it's basically combat + cutscenes the whole way so far.

Count me interested in their future games, and I'm still going to play this one, but I will need to see some exploration/character development/loot in the next game from them. :)

Thanks for this thread Fluent. :)

I understand why some people might enjoy it, but I personally don't really enjoy games that are only focused on combat. So I will probably pass on this one.

Have you tried Sinister's previous game: Telepath RPG ? This may be more in your alley. I really liked the demo.

Haven't played very far yet, but aside from the shortcomings Fluent mentioned above, I I'm really not a big fan of the durability mechanic (i.e., weapons have a limited number of uses). It seems like it will be irritating to have to guess how many weapons I need to stock up on so none of my characters find themselves unarmed... It would be more tolerable if you could choose to visit the merchant in between every battle but I'm not sure if that will be the case.

Bought it yesterday, great game indeed !
Gameplay is quite hard, but very rewarding in the end (mentally that is).

My biggest gripe about this game (and I don't think I mentioned it in the video), is that it's mostly combat-focused with story cutscenes in between. The story and characters are good, but there's simply not enough 'other stuff' for me. There's really no exploration, very limited inventory management and zero (as far as I can tell) character development, as your characters level up automatically and gain what they will gain without your input. There is also limited choice, and only one part in the story where I was able to freely explore a very small area. So it's simply very limited in those elements (which I should have spoke more about in the video!).
Is this even an RPG, then? Blackguards at least let you develop your characters as you wanted and manage your inventory. This sounds more like a battle simulator with a story. (I said the same thing about Valkyria Chronicles.) Swords & spells do not an RPG make!

There is inventory management. You can give your characters special items to use, such as Bandages, Focus Pills, and more. You can equip weapons and armor, too, but it seems like a very simple system.

There isn't any character development as far as I can tell.

Is it an RPG? It's a strategy-RPG, in the vein of Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics and the like. It's main focus is definitely combat, though, as you can tell most of the time went into combat + story.

You'll have to try it to get a better feel for it.

It's a tactical combat game that features many CRPG elements.

Some elements like free exploration, quests, free character building are missing.

^ Yeah, what he said! :biggrin: ^

@CelticFrost, I happen to like these "old-school" type experiences more than big budget "modern" experiences, but that's just me. I will definitely play Witcher 3, but I already have a ton of games to play and more coming all the time. :)

How is The Witcher 3 going to "break new ground in the world of RPGs"? It's seems to me that it's simply going to be another game like Dragon Age: Inquisition - a big budget, modern RPG.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the things that interest me in RPG gaming are found in the indie world. I am more of an old-school RPG head. I like these little 'underdog' titles. But that's just me. :)

And you're all welcome for the video! Sorry for going a bit off-topic. Blame CelticFrost. :)

Enough people will be covering Witcher 3, I don't need to do it. I will stick with my C-64 games, thank you. :)

Back to Telepath Tactics. The game is HARD! Bring your hard hat if you plan on playing this one. :)

How is The Witcher 3 going to "break new ground in the world of RPGs"? It's seems to me that it's simply going to be another game like Dragon Age: Inquisition - a big budget, modern RPG.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the things that interest me in RPG gaming are found in the indie world. I am more of an old-school RPG head. I like these little 'underdog' titles. But that's just me. :)

And you're all welcome for the video! Sorry for going a bit off-topic. Blame CelticFrost. :)

I also don't see anything 'ground breaking' about Witcher 3, except that it has great graphics.

Well, I'm simply not that interested in the Witcher 3. Maybe because I haven't played the first 2 games in the series to really get into the lore and world of it all. Also because it's a game that is going to get so much press coverage and already has a ridiculous amount of hype, that I'd prefer to shine my little light on games that get overlooked. Witcher 3 will not get overlooked.

Telepath Tactics, Elminage Gothic, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. etc.? They may get overlooked, therefore it's more important for me to shine a light on them.

So I'm just doing my duty. :cool:

Stay tuned in 2020 for my official Witcher 3 Retro Review. :D

Back
Top Bottom