Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity - $1.4M, First Stretch Goal Unlocked

What excites me most about the whole kickstarter idea is that going forward there is now an avenue for AAA RPGs that are NOT 'mainstreamed' to death.

I'm not sure I agree, but it may be a question of what 'AAA' means. I don't think Kickstarter is likely to fund games with the cinematic look and professional voice-acting of, say, Mass Effect. If looking and sounding that good is a requirement for a 'AAA' game, then Kickstarter isn't playing in that sandbox. Games like that have budgets of tens of millions of dollars -- at the high end budgets go over a hundred million. And those costs are the reason why we don't see niche AAA games: for games that expensive to be profitable they have to sell a very large number of copies, which means they can't be restricted to niche appeal. It's Lowest Common Denominator all the way, baby!

What I see Kickstarter doing is revitalizing the mid-range -- call them 'AA' games. We had the giant, LCD 'AAA' games, and we had small indie games produced by a few people, but there was very little in the middle. Kickstarter provides a funding mechanism for games that are too large for the 'three guys in a garage working part time' development model but too niche to be attractive to the AAA publishers. And as someone with niche RPG tastes, I think that's fantastic.

Kickstarter's impact on AAA gaming is likely to be indirect: brain drain. A really talented game developer given a choice between the AAA approach and the garage indie approach is likely to choose AAA. But add Kickstarter AA to the mix and I suspect a noticeable number of the really good people would prefer that to AAA because it gives them more control over their own destiny and lets them work on projects for which they feel true passion. What happens to the quality of AAA games, such as they are, when increasingly the best developers prefer not to work on them because they have a better alternative?

I'm not sure I agree, but it may be a question of what 'AAA' means.

That is true - it certainly depends on what anyone means by 'AAA' and everyone will likely have varying notions.

To me, AAA doesn't necessarily mean voice acting or expensive cut-scenes. Both can add to a game but both have a great potential to be just fluff.

To me, a AAA RPG means great art direction, a very high level of polish, a UI that is appropriate for the platform, a suitably sized landmass and dungeons to explore along with enough content built in to keep things interesting, and game mechanics that are fun, varied, interesting, and meaningful.

I do agree with you in the short term that Kickstarters may only have the potential of achieving something above typical 'indie' style games (think Eschalon or Avalon) and below AAA (think Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, Skyrim etc.). But I put games Like Gothic 1 and 2 as AA titles and I thought those two games were fantastic.

But this whole Kickstarter thing seems to be in its infancy and evolving as its popularity grows. That is why I suggested that it may provide an avenue for AAA RPGs that aren't mainstreamed to death at some point. Time will tell.

I say a mac-version is important. Many old PC-gamers have taken the jump to mac and the game market for Macintosh have grown. Since the game targets computer users rather than consoles having a Mac version expands the market quite a bit and shouldn't be too hard to make either since Mac runs standardized PC hardware these days.
Mac running PC hardware these days doesn't have any real impact on the difficulty of a port. The difficulty lies in changing the graphics API you're using (since DirectX is only available on Windows and Xbox) and other OS-specific things.

Anyway, by the same token, since Mac does use PC hardware these days, it's pretty easy for anyone on a Mac to boot into Windows and run the game. My preferred platform and main desktop are both Linux, but I'd rather they spend every penny making a better game, instead of spending any supporting Linux. Playing it on Windows is no big deal.

really impressed with kickstarter and how it has garnered so much good revival projects. wasteland 2, shadowrun, and now this. take my moneyy!

personally I wouldn't fund any stretch goals.

You've picked a date for the release right? then you add stretch goals for the same release date.

I just want it polished, not a swiss army knife

I get the whole idea behind stretch goals to keep the money flowing in, but I wouldn't want to fund them either. The game should include as much as possible and be polished regardless.

I expect this kikckstarter to beat Wasteland 2 numbers, 3mil +. This is what the fans always wanted, right? It's not BGIII, but this is what we wanted BGIII to be like!

They can just use the Wine libraries to port the game over to Linux based oses and if they use Open GL and Xaudio then it will be even easier to have the game for all systems.

I get the whole idea behind stretch goals to keep the money flowing in, but I wouldn't want to fund them either.
I bet a lot of stretch goals are stuff they would have included anyway. Like you said though, they keep money flowing in. Also, they keep the game in the news. Sites like this one will post a news entry everytime it hits the next stretch goal, most likely. Without them, it'd probably go mostly forgotten for a month.

Also, about your other point, I think for many people this is less exciting than Wasteland 2 because of the lack of turn-based combat.

I remember an interview with Chris Avellone in the past where he mentions that they need about $1m every 6 months to keep the company.
That was $1 million per month, not per 6 months- but they've also had lay offs since then so it will have dropped a bit and that was for the full studio so doesn't directly apply to KS funding, so long as they have other projects on the go. You probably get around 1 developer year per 100k funding, as a rough estimate.

Update 3 is up…on the official forum. Not sure when it will be up on Kickstarter. It talk about races, party and other stuff.

There is a particular sentence that I liked a lot:

"Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go."

This gives me a very strong PS:T and MotB vibe, which IMO is excellent news! I guess my $250 pledge will be put to good use :).

Also reminds me of Arcanum, which can only be a good thing!

I actually haven't supported it yet, but I will once they release a bit more info on stretch goals and investment tiers. I suspect it'll end up being a case of "shut up and take my money!" soon enough.

Edit: So Cain, Sawyer and Avellone will work on the same project? If that doesn't lead to a creative overload, the end result could be very, very interesting.

The whole problem I see on the internet is criticizing something that isn't even released yet.

This sounds as if "The Internet" was a human hive.

It's probably not even too far from the truth, in fact ... Although no scientict has yet noticed ...

Back
Top Bottom