InXile Entertainment - Wasteland 2 Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Some quick tidbits from Brian Fargo's twitter. First, while it's not a confirmation, Fargo seems positive towards turn-based gaming in response to a question from "Taxonomic":
Taxonomic
@BrianFargo as a fan of wasteland, and someone disappointed with the lack of turn based crpgs, I'd like to see a proper #wasteland2.
Brian Fargo
@Taxonomic Here here... Nothing beats the tactics of a good ole turn based party game.
Looks like Fargo is having fun with the idea, so far:
It's been a blast to only work on Wasteland this weekend. Writing docs, doing research, talking to writers, listening to music.
...and confirmation of a full box, docs and map version:
It looks like a few of you have figured out one of the tier awards. The $50 tier gets full box, docs and maps the way games used to be.
More information.

It's cute to see the developers talk about how great it'll be to have turn based combat. However, I'll believe it when I see it. When it is found there is little interest in that style of game you better believe they'll drop this notion like a hot poker and then we have something like his Bard's Tale "sequel."

Hopefully I'll be eating crow about this in 4 years when this title is finally released. That is, assuming it ever sees the light of day.

I will be subscribing to this twitter feed.

You know, EvilManagedCare, there have been a fair few turn-based indie games released lately, and many more in the pipe. We won't have to wait four years to find out. I imagine once development starts we'll know definitively if it will be turn-based, or real-time-with-pause (gag).

I'm glad there are a few indies doing turn-based. I'll support every single one of them as much as I can. I keep dreaming that this whole action rpg thing will just fade in time, and games like the gold box D&D's will come back main-stream. It could happen!

-Carn

I think this is pretty cool.

Don't know if you guys know this or not, but the bards tale game for ios(copy of the hated sequel) is getting the trillogy of original games for free with it....portable old school rpg games:)

When it is found there is little interest in that style of game you better believe they'll drop this notion like a hot poker and then we have something like his Bard's Tale "sequel."
Except it's absolutely false that there's little interest about turn-based games.

Except it's absolutely false that there's little interest about turn-based games.

This.

Just check the download count on some of the newer and more popular FO mods and you get a rather rough estimate of (hardcore) players, numbers will increase a lot for a new game with new graphics & hype.

I'd be more skeptical of it being turn-based if this weren't a Kickstarter project. Since they are not bound to the usual mass-market needs of the standard publisher funding route, they should be fine in making a niche, old-school turn-based game.

I wonder how old-school they are going to go though? I'm sure it won't be the 8-bit pixel-based art style of the original Wasteland - though I would love that and it would make the dev time a lot quicker. Isometric maybe?

I'm looking forward to what they reveal.

I think there is room for both action rpgs and turn-based rpgs and if people hated turn-based rpgs then there would be no turn-based games at all that are popular. Why do publishers think turn-based rpgs would fail when there are jrpgs and other genres that have successful turn-based games. I know that some of those are pretty simple in the turn-based elements but there are so many people that complain about games being too easy so I think that there is a large audience of people that would go for a more complex turn-based game and if that game was an rpg instead of a strategy game would it really get less of an audience.

It's cute to see the developers talk about how great it'll be to have turn based combat. However, I'll believe it when I see it. When it is found there is little interest in that style of game

If I remember correctly that's what people said about point and click adventure games too.

That said, I'm also in the skeptical pile thanks to
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...r_Matt_Findley_On_Hunted_The_Demons_Forge.php
Can a company that thinks RPGs were trying to be Action RPGs to begin with be trusted with a turn based RPG? Still that was Matt Findley, not Fargo, so there might still be hope. And I'll be honest, I do think there is a niche demand for turn based RPGs. I'm just not sure if it's as big as the one for point and click adventure games. I guess we will find out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't stand turn based combat in RPGs. I enjoy it a lot in strategy games, but usually only if there's some sort of "quick win" option once I have strong enough armies. Such an option is almost never available in RPGs, so it always leads to a series of long, tedious battles that I was bound to win anyway.

I even play Arcanum mostly in real time, despite the fact that the pacing is very high, making combat rather chaotic.

Back
Top Bottom