Your favorite game location

So many fond memories...let's see:

- The city of Athkatla (sp?) in Baldur's Gate II. Incredibly rich areas, both in encounters and graphically. Music, as in all BG and ID games, stunning.
- The Ocean House Hotel in Vampire Bloodlines. It's only worth it to play this level at night, preferably with some candles on and a storm outside. The first time through I very nearly fell out of my chair of fright. Brilliant.
- Balmora in Morrowind. Usually pick this town as my base when playing the game. It's got great atmosphere and has everything a dark elf needs. Vivec is a close second - first time a big city was properly captured in an RPG I think. Massive.
- The Drow Camp in NWN: Hordes of the Underdark. I love the Underdark setting and it was great to be allowed in a drow city at last. The intrigue, the backstabbing...(many great Underdark mods which arguably look a lot better than this one, but this was the first time I ventured into the dark)
- The Desert City in Secret of Evermore (SNES). A highly underrated game in my opinion. The City had so many quests and events attached to it, plus the music and the market place made this a memorable location for me.
- Tristram in Diablo I and II. Ok, not an RPG of course, but the very first time I arrived in the devasted Tristram in Diablo II I definitely felt a slight regret that I wasn't able to save them. Despite being a hack n slash, the music of Tristram will always be one of my favourite game themes.
- Sigil and the City of Curst (sp?) in Planescape. Such a refreshing change of scenery after BGI. One of my favourite RPG's of all time, partially because of these two locations.

Nice thread.:) Here's my list:

- the town of Kuldahar has to be my favorite location from all rpgs I've played. The minuted I heard the Kuldahar theme song that Jeremy Soule made I was hooked. The overall design and originality also impressed me a lot. I always liked the idea of symbiosis between man and nature, and Kuldahar was it.

- the Old Camp in Gothic 1. The most entertaining thing about the Old Camp is walking through it and watching everyone go about their business. Some diggers mumbling about having to work in the mines, others washing up in the local pond. Some shadows fixing up their cabins, others gossiping with the local guards about this and that. etc. Quite possibly the most social place I've seen in a game.

- the New Camp in Gothic 1. Pretty much the same reasons as with the Old Camp, but this one had a very nice design. I liked the huge cave sheltering everyone, the tavern on the lake, always filled with people drinking rice schnapps. :biggrin:, the damn, the rice fields, etc.

Some faves, in no particular order:
* Hong Kong in Deus Ex: beautiful, rich, complex, atmospheric, with seemingly endless amounts of stuff to discover
* Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Makes Ocean House feel about as scary as Casper the Friendly Ghost. This level alone made the game worth it.
* Ashlands in Morrowind. Simple, harsh, forbidding, yet believable, consistent, and with lots of stuff under the surface (in many senses of the word).
* The Hive in Planescape: Torment. Beyond description; you have to experience it.
* Cordon in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Yup, the first area. Yeah, it only gets more interesting from there on out, but what a perfect entrance to the grim beauty of the Zone! There were other high points in the game (in particular, Pripyat is a work of art, but unfortunately without a whole lot to do there), but nothing produced quite the same thrill as the moment I crawled out of Sidorov's bunker and saw that cruel autumn landscape.

I miss the feeling of coming into castle britain....in the ulima games...pure magic.

Oh, I 've got a couple as well. In no particular order;

1. My cabin on the ANS Yamato in StarLancer (feed the fish, kick back and watch the news, it just felt like home).
2. The Dead Harpy Tavern in Gothic II.
3. The tower that you clear of Bandits near the Pirate camp in NOTR.
4. The mansion in Clive Barkers UNDYING. Ghosts in the halls, pictures of the family members morphing into monsters, and then the monsters themselves. Brrrrrrr, now that's what I call atmosphere!!

I never played Deus Ex 1. Maybe I should do something about that someday as the game was included in a heap of games I bought from an auction site.

EDIT: (This maybe the reason why I did not understand what was so terrible about DX:IW :D - I thought it was okay for an FPS )

all the thief games are also full of wonderfull locations btw..

Seyda Neen in Morrowind. It's ike coming home. The sound of the silt strider, the sun rising over the water, the light house.... it's an amazing game location. Closely followed by Balmora, for all my shopping and business needs.

Pre-searing in Guild Wars. More a time then a location I suppose, but I love the early autumn feel of it. It's my favorite part of the game.

khorinis from gothic 2. somehow, i feel like that city is alive, much alike to real life cities...

everything else seems just like what it is - a video game.

The city of Beyond Good & Evil seems to breathe ... I mean all the small islands surrounding the city (Mammago anyone ? ;) ) and the city itself ... especially the bar ...

And of course the home lighthouse. It feels like coming home.

I've never played the whole game through, and I've heard that this was only meant to be part 1 of a trilogy.

Let's hope they can tell the story further, because this game was imho unique. And unique games are rare nowadays.

I never felt so special for the places in BG&E although when the lighthouse was destroyed I felt sad, just like when the pig seemed death.
It was a good game, made it to the final boss but haven't finished that one yet.

I loved BG&E, not so much for the locations but for the characters, voice acting, and especially music.

I never made it to the point of the lighthouse's destruction, but I plan to try to play the whole game through at one point.

My favorite place in all games I've played must be Venice in The Longest Journey (not Dreamfall). TLJ is an adventure game, but there's something about those 2D screens that just somehow speaks to me...as pr. instinct, not in real life ;)

My favorite place in an rpg is most definetely Seydaa Neen in Morrowind. Great place. Another favorite place in an rpg would be the outdoor place in BG1 where you had to walk past some pine trees and there was a waterfall, beatifully handcrafted, with water running downstream. You don't see that today - in full 3D engine....

There's a place in Fallout. It is not the city in which you meed the Master, I think. It is somewhere in the middle of the story. It has a Cathedral, I think? That City was really well done, too.

And of course Vararlburg in Syberia...

edit:

And yes, for me, too: Seyda Neen was like coming home. The call of the Silt Strider, the Lighthouse, the people living there, the sun setting over the sea. Beautiful :)

Last edited:
Great thread!

Some of my favourites

From Deus ex 1 the whole paris area. It just had that something which made it so memorable I'm unable to define it accurately, but perhaps the gloomy and frightening Paris felt so memorable because the paris I know is nothing like that. there you could really sense how the world had changed.

Gothic 1: the old camp. It was so fun just to observe what everyone was doing there..walk around the ring, practise swordmanship in the arena, chat with the guards, beat up some diggers, buy stuff from skip and go hunting scavengers and roast their meat. later on when the sun sets few beers with the guys at the castle.. Isn't it life? :greengrin:

Outcast: Shamazaar. It may not look much at these days, but when I saw it first time. It was nothing like i had seen before. So much to explore..

Hitman 1: I have to mention "traditions of the trade" = the Budapest hotel mission where you have to assasine two different targets during the world peace summit. It was so tense,because you had all those hotel quests, hotel staff and law enforcement officers there with metal detectors and other security measures. In addition the gameplay in that map was tremendously fun, because you had dozens of different ways how to solve the mission.

stirling birdge in Medieval Total War, i know its not an rpg but that place was awesome.... Anvil in Oblivion, very beautiful place.... a small house in north Vice City where you could get on the porch and hold off the cops all day, lol, and im with alot of other people on that in the great game that is Morrowind, Seyda Neen was a very home kind of place (even though there wasnt much of anything helpful there)

Skara Brae (Bard's Tale 1). Yes, the graphics were poor by modern standards. It came out in '86! However, I didn't see just blocks with yellow colored roofs. I saw a tumbled collection of houses and shops, thatched or roofed in straw; windows dark and cold in the chill air. Gates frozen shut and buried beneath a massive drift of snow. Strange and dangerous beasts wandering the streets. To this day, on those social networking sites, I always post Skara Brae as my location. Both for the imagery, the memories, and the fact that the gates of Skara Brae were my gateway to other worlds; to books and games and even movies through the years. Bard's Tale 1 is my first game ever; the start of an affair with fantasy in all forms, reading, as well as my eventual study of history and western martial arts long lost, such as the long sword and quarterstaff.

Back
Top Bottom