Deus Ex: IW - Remembering the Game @ IGN

The third video should be posted next week according to IGN.:)

I never played Invisible War - the reviews were not so good back then.
So I can't say much about it.

I never played Invisible War - the reviews were not so good back then.
So I can't say much about it.
Well to put in simply you either love, or hate playing Invisible War. As Warren said it was simplified for consoles, and they made the game more accessible then Deus Ex.

As for me I enjoyed the game with various mods installed.:)

I think it's just about average, if you manage to forget its legacy :)

It's just that average is pretty bad when the previous game was a masterpiece.

I think it's just about average, if you manage to forget its legacy :)

It's just that average is pretty bad when the previous game was a masterpiece.

Exactly this ... and honestly I still remember being affronted by the level of 'consolitis' and the incredibly awful performance, particularly on even the highest end laptops. It was a step-change in awful performance for no real gain in visual appeal.

So I definitely confess to holding a grudge that makes me very non-objective when I try to replay. I realized last night I'd reinstalled already ... perhaps I should try again :)

I managed to tweak it to the level of "as good as it gets" yesterday.

I was actually somewhat keen to continue playing, but the GF wanted to watch True Detective, so I had to leave it ;)

That said, the last thing I did before stopping was killing a guard during the introduction sequence - and I was reminded of how shooting people in the head didn't kill them.

Ugh!

I don't even remember IW that well to be honest, though I'm quite sure that has more to do with it being forgettable rather than the passage of time.

The only tweak I can recall had something to with expanding the HUD so that the onscreen icons were closer to the outer edges of the screen.

I don't even remember IW that well to be honest, though I'm quite sure that had more to do with it being forgettable rather than the passage of time.

The only tweak I can recall had something to with expanding the HUD so that the onscreen icons were closer to the outer edges of the screen.

The default textures are awful, and you can't get it to run in proper widescreen mode without tweaking some stuff.

I also had to turn down mouse sensitivity a lot, as it suffers heavily from "controller" inspired issues in terms of feel.

But now, it's ok.

One of the worst parts of the game remains, though, which would be the tiny levels and ridiculous load times.

IIRC, someone made a mod for Thief 3 (same team, same engine) a while back - which apparently eliminated most of the level loading. I would have hoped a similar mod would be out for IW, but no such luck.

Hey - if you don't own it yet, GoG is having a Squeenix sale including the Deus Ex games (and Thief, etc): http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_pr...e?pp=904f2cc1c3677bb35876e91f4716341c06769cc6

IIRC, someone made a mod for Thief 3 (same team, same engine) a while back - which apparently eliminated most of the level loading. I would have hoped a similar mod would be out for IW, but no such luck.

IMO - Thief 3 represented what that engine COULD do ... it was so much better on PC, worked great on laptops, etc.

I can't take any negative comments!! Deus Ex is too precious to me!! Leave DX2 alone!! …ok, with that out of my system, yes DX2 had issues. But what nobody seems to talk about (not even that video) is DX2 is the proper conclusion to the Deus Ex story! This means it is a MUST PLAY. I thought the story and choices elements were as good as DX1.

I've said it before: I've finished DX1 3 times, DXHR 4 times, and DX2 once. That pretty much makes it obvious which are the great ones.

I didn't love or hate IW, it was okay, worth playing and finishing once.

Deus Ex has had a huge influence on modern game design.

For the better? Seems to me the whole genre turned to shit right about then, and never really came back.

Back
Top Bottom