Bottom 10 CRPGs Of All Time

Check out my review at the Dot for everything you want to know about Seal of Evil!!

1- Ultima 9 - what there was, was good but compared to what it could have
been......
2- Oblivion - I loved Morrowind and was SO MUCH looking forward to Oblivion but
while MW as a PC game ported to Xbox, Oblivion was an Xbox game poorly
ported to PC. What a let down!!!
3- DL - others said it all....
4- Dungeon Siege - borrrriiiing!
5- IWD - not a terrible game on it's own but what a comedown from the level of
BGII!
6- Gothic 1 - not a bad game but the sheer mysogeny of it turned me right off.....

I would like to thank those who have helped me repress the desire to purchase and play Pool Of Radiance : RoMD and Ultima 8 & 9.

I don't know what I'm missing, but I trust what you know about what I don't know.

Check out my review at the Dot for everything you want to know about Seal of Evil!!

LOL! I have that game and never bothered to play it. Is it WORTH playing?? If it is, I might as well play since it's just sitting on my comp desk.

Yes, it's worth playing IF you enjoy that style of game. Check out my old review to see if you would. Basically, its style is closer to a console JRPG, than a traditional western rpg. It's similar to Prince of Qin.

I tried to play the demo, but it's just too hideously voice acted for me to overcome. I had the same problem with Beyond Divinity.:(

Seal of Evil is a good game in spite of a some terrible flaws (main character's voice acting, linearity). It has a great story with interesting quests, its slick (at one point you go back in time and colors change to sepia), its reasonably well translated for a Chinese game, but above all its got the best crafting I've ever seen in a game. Its fascinating!

--

This is a tough topic. Bad games I generally don't play for very long.

If I had to list anything I'd think

Ultima 9 - obvious
Gothic - overrated, terrible controls, clipping, ugh!
IWD:Heart of Winter-the most disappointing game I ever played. It was $30 and I finished it in 10 hours. The story was not the least bit interesting. It had none of the charm the first one had.
Wasteland: a poor Ultima 3 clone that thinks way too highly of itself. Post-apocalyptic out of the dungeon? Big deal!
Gold Box Games: a poor imitation of their much better competitors. They have too much of the typical SSI number crunching tedium and their dungeons are generic and ugly. D&D name on the box? Big Deal!

But its hard to qualify many games. I liked Diablo for the only 3 days I played it (straight). I like Wasteland now. I dislike PS:T bogging me down with scads and scads of text but playing it again it was pretty funny for awhile. I used to hate Questron. I appreciate the combat system in the Gold Box Games. I played Ultima 9 all the way through. MM9 was bad but I returned it to the store the next day. If the company had more money could they have done it right? The same goes with Lionheart.

Gothic - overrated, terrible controls, clipping, ugh!

You think Gothic was overrated? The game received almost no attention or recognition whatsoever in North America, and the few reviews it did get were not overly postive.

Never experienced any issues with clipping during any of my playthroughs.

he's talking about overated by those long time fans with good taste;)

Yes, it's worth playing IF you enjoy that style of game. Check out my old review to see if you would. Basically, its style is closer to a console JRPG, than a traditional western rpg. It's similar to Prince of Qin.

Aaah, yes. I've heard of the voicing issue of that game. Where can I find your review, Corwin? I think I will give it a go, if it sounds ok... I was thinking of selling that game on e-bay...

It's somewhere back in the archives of RPGDot. Someone actually provided a link to it not long ago, but if you go there and do a search, you'll find it. OR, send me your email via PM and I'll email you the text without all the pics and formatting!! :)

You might be thinking of Soulbringer. If that's the game you're thinking of, then it makes sense, as I also never quite got what I was supposed to do in that game. I can't put it on my top 10 worst, though. I only played maybe 2 hours, gave up, played another 2 hours a few weeks later, gave up again. Too boring, but I didn't experience enough to give it a fair rating.

I have exactly the same opinion on Soulbringer. It is just good enough not to be bad but just bad enough not to be good lol. I think I managed to get about halfway or so through the game before I finally gave up because I was tired of running around.

I never played Seal of Evil. Was it otherwise as good as PoQ? Or did the bad characters you mentioned spoil it?

They seriously need to fix or update rpgdot. It's impossible to use search and when going through the database it only shows 4 at a time. I'm surprised they even bother to do the news still. Anyways here is Corwin's review of Seal of Evil
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1070

His review pretty much sums up anything I would say about the game. I did like it and was pleasantly surprised by how all the text wasn't horrible Chinglish. I still laugh my butt off when I think of one of the encounters from PoQ. Quote "Let's see how hard you're tongue is." Priceless just priceless.

All hail to them who actually know the really bad games that have no saving quality about them at all while still being almost bugfree. When you play a game like that you have to wonder what sinister force managed to put those games on the market at all. To honor the poor people who reviewed them, here comes the 12 worst windows RPG's of all time according to mobygames:

Sniper: Path of Vengeance
MetalHeart: Replicants Rampage
Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest
Clans
Brigade E5: New Jagged Union
Deathkeep
COPS 2170: The Power of Law
Blade & Sword
Neverend
Etrom: The Astral Essence
Shadow Vault
ArchLord

Creating a list of the bottom 10 have many problems. You probably never played the worst RPG's and you probably never heard about them either. If you read reviews you have probably skipped the worst on the market.

Three reasons why you might have played the game:

1. The previews seemed promising or it had a popular frenchise
In this case it's not neccessary that the game was bad, it just did not meet up to the expectations. Both sequels (Lands of Lore 2+) and popular frenchises (Vampire: Redemption) fit well in this cathegory.

2. You just picked a game you never heard of
This is probably rare. I wonder how many had actually seen anything about Gorasul before they tried it.

3. Because it was popular
And the problem might just be you. Many games mentioned in this thread got awesome reviews and much praisal by even the RPG community, several are even known to be "best RPG of all time".

Three reasons why it was bad:

1. It's broken beyond belief
Gothic 3 was a great game... if you could ignore the fact that it was 50% broken and erased your savegames all the time.

2. It met noones expecations
Neverwinter Nights OC...

3. It did not reach your expectations
Again, many games in this thread got awesome reviews.

Last edited:
Quote "Let's see how hard you're tongue is." Priceless just priceless.

Ouch. That hurts.

Reminds me of "all your base are belong to us".

he's talking about overated by those long time fans with good taste;)

In not so many words that sums it up...

You think Gothic was overrated? The game received almost no attention or recognition whatsoever in North America, and the few reviews it did get were not overly postive.

Never experienced any issues with clipping during any of my playthroughs.

just overrated here. if this were like anywhere else in the world I wouldn't need to mention it.

by clipping I mean I was unable to hit anything to save my life despite being point blank.

I may try these games in the future to once again just to triple and quadruple check that I'm not imagining it, I really don't like these games.

His review pretty much sums up anything I would say about the game. I did like it and was pleasantly surprised by how all the text wasn't horrible Chinglish. I still laugh my butt off when I think of one of the encounters from PoQ. Quote "Let's see how hard you're tongue is." Priceless just priceless.

Really? What changed with Seal of Evil? I was completely expecting a bad translation with it. Its too bad about the voice translation. If they'd only swapped the voice actor for the lead character with the other actress.

--

Back in the day a lot of people hated Moebius aka Windwalker. It was Origin's first follow up to Ultima and was an RPG with Fighting Game elements. The combat was stiff and was somewhat Ro Sham Bo but it was neat. The first game was a little contrived but the sequel was tight but unfortunately, short.

--

Jemy, you've categorized why this is really a tough list. Its tough to really hate something you know is bad right off the bat.

Last edited:
just overrated here. if this were like anywhere else in the world I wouldn't need to mention it.

There's a reason why some of us are as outspoken as we are about the game. You really should give it another try some time.

by clipping I mean I was unable to hit anything to save my life despite being point blank.

I thought Gothic's hit detection was spot on, I never had an instance where I thought it looked like my weapon had connected without registering.
Now "The Witcher" on the other hand......

Unless you're talking about ranged weapons, in which case perhaps you didn't realize that those are reliant upon your character's skill level as far as hit\miss is concerned.

I thought Gothic's hit detection was spot on, I never had an instance where I thought it looked like my weapon had connected without registering.
Now "The Witcher" on the other hand......

Unless you're talking about ranged weapons, in which case perhaps you didn't realize that those are reliant upon your character's skill level as far as hit\miss is concerned.

I was thinking that might be it on further reflection.

Thanks to Oblivion this may be the beginning of the end of stat based "to hits". There's been mumblings against the system since EQ, and there was complete confusion for young console Morrowind players. This might be a good thread. They were controversial in the last Vampire IIRC.

Aaah, yes. I've heard of the voicing issue of that game. Where can I find your review, Corwin? I think I will give it a go, if it sounds ok... I was thinking of selling that game on e-bay...

Here's the discussion thread, purpleblob: Anyone played Seal of Evil? and here's the post with the link to Corwin's review at the Dot and also an old review at RPGCodex: LINK

Somewhere in the thread there's a link to the demo also. Hope you have better luck with it than I did. :)

Thank you. I've checked it out and played SoE for a bit but I dont think I like it. Might sell it on ebay :p

Back
Top Bottom