BGEE: Siege of Dragonspear - Interview @ PCGamesN

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
PCGamesN talked to Trent Oster about the new Baldur's Gate Extended Edition add-on Siege of Dragonspear, which teaches us that Chris Avellone has had something to do with is as well.

Baldur’s Gate 1 ended in unambiguous triumph, but its sequel started players off in a very dark place - literally and thematically. Beamdog have closed that tonal gap cautiously, with a story that deals with the dark blood running through the player character’s veins - while offering a new, grounded threat for them to tackle.

A crusading army to the north of Baldur’s Gate has the dukes concerned: it’s brought local instability, and refugees are flooding through the gates of the great Sword Coast city. After a number of unsuccessful scouting attempts, the player is recruited to gather information and, inevitably, become exposed to larger machinations.

It sounds like a natural fit for the geopolitics of Baldur’s Gate 1 - what other RPG can you name that kickstarts its drama with an iron shortage? Dragonspear’s plot promises political maneuvering that you “start off essentially oblivious to but then become aware of”.

“Let’s not burn the Forgotten Realms to the ground,” Beamdog decided from the off. “But let’s play with a big story. We’ve got to do it justice. It’s got to feel epic, it’s got to feel worthy. When you’re going through this storyline, we want you to have those moments when you uncover new truths about yourself, and you uncover the magnitude of the threat.”

There’ll be no equivalent to Baldur’s Gate’s “psychotic maniac who just wants war and blood and destruction”, however - Beamdog are keen to get away from evil for evil’s sake.

“Evil is paved with good intentions,” said Oster. “You start off trying to do something right, and it goes a little wrong. And then it goes a little more wrong. And eventually, it’s just this web. I always find those characters much more appealing and much more human. We really wanted to engage with the humanity of your opposition.”
Here is the annoucnement trailer.

More information.

“We’re really trying to balance that almost novelesque feel of Baldur’s Gate, and at the same time be more sparing with our words. Let’s not hit people in the face with a wall of text.”

Dragonspear’s journal system is a microcosm of that - unusually succinct, focused and goal-oriented for Baldur’s Gate, it tells you only what you need to know. And a certain well-known RPG writer has been involved with it all.

“There’s this designer fellow named Chris, who may have recently become a free agent,” said Oster, meaningfully. “I want to collaborate with him in any way I can. He’s a fun individual.”

Is this a solicitation for help through a journalist, we wondered? Or might there already be something in the works?

“That’s a great question. Possibly a bit of both, maybe.”

So what do we (rpgwatch people) make of the fact that Chris is keen on condensed writing? Perhaps not a fan of the Beamdog style? Less is more? All things considered they could really use a talented writer, like really really badly. I hope he helps them out so we don't have to suffer through fan fiction dialogue etc.

I am still to play throught the Enhanced Edition content of BG1/2, so I can't say anything about the quality of the writing, but man am I excited about something new Baldur's Gate!!!
I'm currently playing through Icewind Dale EE (having played Trails of the Luremaster and Heart of Winter for the first time) and that Infinity Engine feeling is still strong. There have been 10 years between the last time I played ID or BG, but I was at home instantly. Still some of the best games ever made! Fingers crossed for Beamdog (since it already seems clear that Swordcoast Legends is going to suck a bit).

So what do we (rpgwatch people) make of the fact that Chris is keen on condensed writing? Perhaps not a fan of the Beamdog style? Less is more? All things considered they could really use a talented writer, like really really badly. I hope he helps them out so we don't have to suffer through fan fiction dialogue etc.

He's obviously got talent, and my dislike for his work is more about simply not liking his particular approach.

Not sure how I would respond to more "condensed" writing, as I'm not convinced people can just change their style in such a practical manner and be good at it, but I have to say I'm curious.

Is this the longest gap between a game's original release and an official expansion?

Said cashgrab in another thread.
New BG content, sure. I'd buy.
But same old Infinity Enginesque adapted to phones system? Absolutely not.

Buying only if they do an engine and UI similar to D:OS.

Is this the longest gap between a game's original release and an official expansion?

I'm going to say yes, usually you get total remake after 17 years, not expansion.

That's a fun observation! Yeah, pretty crazy. It is sort of like we all stepped back in a time warp (...it's just a jump to the left!).

Said cashgrab in another thread.
New BG content, sure. I'd buy.
But same old Infinity Enginesque adapted to phones system? Absolutely not.

Buying only if they do an engine and UI similar to D:OS.

agreed

The comments about "not hitting them with a wall of text" and "telling them oonly what they need to know" is a little concerning. The text is important, it adds flvor and context to the story. Hope this doesn't mean that the text will be simplistic and not well written - that would have a huge negative impact on this.

@HellRazor

'Brevity is the sole of wit'

I wouldn't worry about the overall quality; if anything it sounds like its been improved substantially by Avellone. I was more commenting on the fact that the wordiness was an issue in the first place. Not a lot of genuine wordsmiths at Beamdog I think which is why the text has been pruned so much.

The comments about "not hitting them with a wall of text" and "telling them oonly what they need to know" is a little concerning. The text is important, it adds flvor and context to the story. Hope this doesn't mean that the text will be simplistic and not well written - that would have a huge negative impact on this.

Why would it be simplistic and not well written? Is verbosity quality to you?

Great interview and I couldn't be more excited for Beamdog going forward. I hope this expansion does well and they continue working with Baldur's Gate and classic RPGs in the future. The future is bright for these guys and gals, and I for one can't wait to see how they handle this.

And I also can't wait to see the new D&D RPG they create after this expansion. Maybe not Baldur's Gate in name, but hopefully in spirit.

What a great time to be an RPG gamer. =)

Will wait for reviews before deciding to purchase. I just play the games with a bunch of mods as I didn't feel the enhanced versions added enough to be worth it. If they add 25 hours of new stuff and its well reviewed than that could be a potential purchase for me.

Many times when they use "simplistic" writing, it means its poorly written using words a three year old can understand.

Verbose has nothing to do with quality, but you need enough words to form a good mental image.

"See duck run." Is pretty simplistic, but its bare bones.

If the goal is not to reduce every sentence to its most concise form but to avoid distractingly extraneous wording and phrasing then I'm for it. If its just a shortcut to be able to hack some hours off of good story writing, then I'm against it.

Anyone with a basic grasp of English could follow IWD, BG, BGII, etc stories.

Wasn't the reducing number of words part only about that new quest log UI and how they put each quest into short sentence that will show up on main screen while players can then go into quest log to read the rest?

No, not necessarily. But any writing used in the game can have a big impact on how immersive or non-immersive it is. So I hope they aren't just considering the writing (i.e. dialogue, descriptive text, etc.) to be not important.

No, not necessarily. But any writing used in the game can have a big impact on how immersive or non-immersive it is. So I hope they aren't just considering the writing (i.e. dialogue, descriptive text, etc.) to be not important.

Ah, ok. Don't think that's the case here, though.

Back
Top Bottom