Risen - Realistic Screenshots @PC Games

The graphics looked a lot better than this to me when I was shown the game at Gamescom. In motion it is a lot better.
Then again I'm not a graphics junkie and am easily satisfied :)

Looks like screens from AoC.

Character models are awful. But if you take the people out, scenery looks ok.

Frankly, all my drool is lately reserved for GW2 and I find myself looking at anything else rather dryly.

The body proportions are brutal. The worst I have ever seen in a 3d video game.

And most heads are too small. If this stays like this I wont be buying. It is a shame. Call me nuts but little things like this drive me crazy.

I must be getting really lenient, because I think those shots look decent to good...

Nah those shots were horrible.
The ones I posted look much better.

It makes me think where the the ones in the Original Post came from!

nvxqwg.jpg

IMO, Gothic 3 looks much better even though it's THREE (3) years old already.

But I hope they improve the graphics... a LOT.

It's all about graphics and no gameplay nowadays ... even among the RPG players! :(

It's all about graphics and no gameplay nowadays ... even among the RPG players! :(
We can't talk about the gameplay until way have a game to play!

Graphics look pretty good to me. Especially the scenery and double especially in the other linked set of screenshots.

I've seen better looking character models, but the scenery is gorgeous and I just want to start PLAYING!

Like someone else has said, I'll take another full game with Gothic 2's engine. I just want more 3D, real-time, RPG action!!!!! NOW!!!

:)

terrible art direction. they're going for a really cartoony style with the characters and a more organic / natural look with the enviroments. it looks like comic book characters that has escaped into the real world..

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,693573/Ri...12721&image_id=1182220&browsersize=fullscreen

just terrible modelling, looks more like some kind of alien creature than a human. this dude really needs to study anatomy. some of the other characters are less cartoony and has a completely different style, which makes the art direction even stranger.

too bad their artists couldnt work properly togehter to create a more coherent style.

gothic2 had good art direction, it looks like its one artists that has created everything.. gothic3 was worse (looked like a mix of styles) but in comparison to this it looked great.

Like someone else has said, I'll take another full game with Gothic 2's engine. I just want more 3D, real-time, RPG action!!!!! NOW!!!

:)

Go play Velaya (G2 mod) 30-40 hours of new game play in the G2 world space. It's very well done and almost bug free just like a Dev made add-on.

I'm not too concerned about the graphics if the game lives up to its promise. The first Gothic was no Sistine Chapel, but who cared?

As Dhruin said, so long as it plays well - and also performs well - I have no issue with the looks.

The graphics look much better than I require to enjoy a game. I'd even go so far as to say that they are good; great possibly.

Yes, that woman looks weird but I've seen weirder looking people in real life... I don't need every video game character to look like they came straight out of a modeling agency.

The only thing that actually bothered me was the guard in #3, holding his weapon by the blade. If I was that guy's boss, I'd kick him in the back and hope he learned a valuable lesson about not holding weapons like a dumbass...

methinks the people who took screenies are quite self-centered weirdos, like those who not only spend their whole days taking pictures of their mugs to post on faceb00k, but they do it in games as well.

a normal player will never ever see this kind of depictions/perspective during regular gameplay.

besides this, heads are small and hands are like shovels.
but behold, i see worriors of the troo faith (and maybe from michigan) just waiting for this comment in order to start trolling big time. argh
________
VIDEO REVIEWS

Last edited:
IMO, Gothic 3 looks much better even though it's THREE (3) years old already.

But I hope they improve the graphics? a LOT.

afaik that's a rendered image (not screenshot), and it's one of the first three pics that were published by jw for the woeful fogo "expansion" (mod, actually).
________
The cigar boss

Last edited:
I must accept there's something wrong with my eyes when it comes to this game.

Sure, I'd like for it to be great - but that doesn't impede my ability to see.

Ok, it's not the best looking game ever - but I think it looks pretty damn decent. To me, it looks very much like Gothic 3 - and I think Gothic 3 was one of the best looking games when it was released, and it still is.

I don't even see the big issue with body proportion.

I'm serious, I really DO believe there's something wrong with my eyes - because I just can't see the problem.

Is it really that bad?

Gothic 3 looks good? From which side, beacause I must have missed it. I didn't like new NEXT-GEN BLOOM nor art direction.

First Gothic and Night of the Raven still look beautiful for me. And by "beautiful" I mean both graphic techniques (or whatever it's called), art directions and music.

Gothic felt dangerous, environment was rather dark and I was scared at my first playthrough to go to forest (well, I was 12 years old at that time :p ). Great dialoques (different from typical cRPG, btw I'm talking about polish translation, not english which I heard bad things about) and that unsetting music in the wilderness, while calm in Old Camp etc...

Night of the Raven was totally different but not worse, damn it was probably even better. This is how new Gothic should look like. Atmosphere wasn't dangerous but it wasn't calm nor "sweet" (Oblivion) or epic (Gothic 3, Oblivion). It was very (and I mean VERY, I haven't experienced anything like that in another game) mysterious. You didn't know what you'll see in "new world" and that music was GREAT (damn, I lost my original Audio CD that was added to the expansion :'( ). Too bad it was that short, if this expansion would have been 3-4x longer it could be one of the best games ever. And they fixed leveling so you always had to watch for yourself because you weren't uberhero killing army of dragons and orcs by one hand while reading a book second hand.

Gothic 2 was good but when comparing to Gothic or expansion it was mediocre. Story sucks and that destroyed the game. Music don't have any "special" feeling and it's like in typical cRPG. At least dialogues and gameplay were same as in Gothic.

Gothic 3 was a total failure - story, gameplay, combat... I don't even want to talk about this game anymore.

I replayed Gothics (1, 2 and expansion) lately again. They are great as they were. I want MORE.

Gothic 3 looks good? From which side, beacause I must have missed it. I didn't like new NEXT-GEN BLOOM nor art direction.

It's about taste :)

I think Gothic 3 had a fantastically realised world - FAR beyond anything in Gothic or Gothic 2, if we ignore time of release.

Some of the vistas are breathtaking, with amazing waterfalls and a great sense of scale.

The forests are beautiful and feel like real forests, unlike Gothic/Gothic 2 which had relatively sparse vegetation.

You probably just like the dark, ahem, GOTHIC setting - and there are those of us who enjoy fertile green environments - even if G3 had a very atmospheric snowy area, as well as a less accomplished desert area.

The animations are far better in G3, as well.

Sadly, the combat is horribly poor - especially in terms of balance. Also, the story is somewhat less interesting - because it was an attempt at a much grander scale.

They pulled it off pretty well, and I was certainly deeply engaged in the game for 30-40 hours - before I finally realised that I would never be able to deal with certain enemies without exploiting the questionable AI.

The patch improved some aspects, but it's still almost impossible to deal with multiple enemies without exploits - especially if you go dual-wielding which I prefer. Liberating cities just doesn't feel like you're a powerful character, but more like you're scrambling to constantly run away so you can take shots with your bow, and so on. It feels DEAD wrong.

Still, I think Gothic 3 - even with all its failings, is better than pretty much any other freeform fantasy game, EXCEPT for the first two Gothic games.

Back
Top Bottom