Daggerdale - Review Roundup

aries100

SasqWatch
Reviews for this game has been published. I'll quote one of them and list the others.

First we have PC Gamer - 35/100
It’s got glitches. Glitches everywhere. Enemies regularly get stuck in the ground, armor graphics fail to load, and NPCs have a habit of disappearing without ever having the decency of offering to take me out of this hell with them. Which all brings us back to Daggerdale’s cowardly main character. He runs in terror from a fight with a giant rock monster, and that’s exactly what you should do if confronted by this game.
And then the others:
Gamers Daily News - 5.5/10
Game Forward - 2/5
Next Gen News - scoreless
More information.

When are devs going to realize you can't make a good mainstream D&D game. D&D PNP is not a mainstream game.

This is one of the worst games based on the DnD franchise that has been ported to the PC I have ever seen! How it managed to get 5.5 on Gamers Daily is beyond me. This is better off left to console gamers instead of tainting the PC with it's presence.

I love bad games. It's always fun to read how they are thred to pieces in the reviews. XD

This is one horrible game. Don't play it, don't even think about playing it. It's not as bad as Dawn of Magic (1 & 2) or Ancient Evil (which are the worst RPGs that I have ever played), but it's baaaad.

When are devs going to realize you can't make a good mainstream D&D game. D&D PNP is not a mainstream game.

Could it be that Atari was the pressuring force behind all of this ? That they WANTED to have ... be as successful as Blizzard as long as they still hold on to the (A)D&D license ?

Could it be that Atari was the pressuring force behind all of this ? That they WANTED to have … be as successful as Blizzard as long as they still hold on to the (A)D&D license ?

Almost certainly Alrik, because they can't afford to make non-mainstream games. So if we take the quoted position that D&D cannot be a mainstream game then the conclusion is we can't have D&D games as long as it costs money to license D&D, which it most definitely does.

So blame passes to the people who license D&D. Only they only do that to cover the cost of actually paying people to research and develop systems, with full QA etc.. So the blame passes to those making a decision to create a professional role playing system. But they only do that because the player base demands a high quality D&D system that doesn't go stale, so the blame passes to the people who want to play a high quality D&D and not some other homebrew RPG system.

Then if we're happy with non D&D games then we don't need to worry about poor games like Daggerdale, and we can go play The Witcher instead ;)

Bottom line: If you care about D&D games then you're part of the problem. If you don't, then you don't have a problem in the first place :p

Almost certainly Alrik, because they can't afford to make non-mainstream games. So if we take the quoted position that D&D cannot be a mainstream game then the conclusion is we can't have D&D games as long as it costs money to license D&D, which it most definitely does.
Counterpoint.

Irrespective of whether the game ought to be D&D or not, the widespread impression is that it fails even on its own terms, as a hack and slash ARPG. Can it really be so difficult to design a decent ARPG? The only recent(ish) example which seems to get good feedback round here is Dungeon Siege 2.

That's not D&D :/

Have you played the demo? I recommend you try it, or at least read the review on the Codex which called it RPG of the Year.

Have you played the demo? I recommend you try it, or at least read the review on the Codex which called it RPG of the Year.

Indeed, and I can name dozens of other non-D&D games that are excellent. Like I said, those of us who are happy with non-D&D games don't have a problem!

Too bad, that probably none of the reviews factor in the patch that was released recently. It was quite extensive and I would have liked to know, if it's still so bad in its current version.

Back
Top Bottom