ThinkProgress - Felicia Day Targeted in Hate Campaign

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Actress Felicia Day announced her fears about GamerGate and safety issues for women gamers, and had her private details released online afterwards.

“I have been terrified of inviting a deluge of abusive and condescending tweets into my timeline. I did one simple @ reply to one of the main victims several weeks back, and got a flood of things I simply couldn’t stand to read directed at me. I had to log offline for a few days until it went away. I have tried to re-tweet a few of the articles I’ve seen dissecting the issue in support, but personally I am terrified to be doxxed (having personal information such as an address, email or real name released online) for even typing the words ‘Gamer Gate.’”

In fact, Day was reportedly doxxed within an hour of writing her post on GamerGate. The immediate doxxing of female GamerGate critics, including Day, has been pointed to as an example of the sexism of the movement. Former NFL player Chris Kluwe, who wrote his own post calling GamerGaters “basement-dwelling, cheetos-huffing, poopsock-sniffing douchepistols,” said Day was only targeted because of her gender.

“None of you fucking #gamergate tools tried to dox me, even after I tore you a new one. I’m not even a tough target…Instead, you go after a woman who wrote why your movement concerns her,” Kluwe said on Twitter.
shutterstock_86697478-638x499.jpg

More information.

More information.

Not sure what that reply is about :-/

These people must be a bunch of Neanderthals who haven't been notified that it is allowed for women to have an opinion, even when it is opposite to your own. It sure becomes clear that they feel freedom of speech does not apply to to women and gaming is something only men should have something to say about.

Not sure what that reply is about :-/

These people must be a bunch of Neanderthals who haven't been notified that it is allowed for women to have an opinion, even when it is opposite to your own. It sure becomes clear that they feel freedom of speech does not apply to to women and gaming is something only men should have something to say about.
Point is this isn't gaming news.

Ouch! I used to live in a basement for a while and I resent basements being tarnished by being connected to this gynophobic scum.

So much for my youthful beliefs that funny fantasy avatars might help build gender-, race- and age-agostic online communites…

Oh, and Ms. Day has starred in at least three high-profile RPGs and has been a prominent figure carrying the word of particularly role playing games as a socially acceptable pastime to a new audience.

Last edited:
Point is this isn't gaming news.

It is gaming news.

But if you don't feel like it's important, please feel free to take your comments elsewhere.

It is gaming news.

But if you don't feel like it's important, please feel free to take your comments elsewhere.
Yeah, this post only confirms my suspicions of why this was posted.

This is nothing more than a twitter fight and a woman who was in a game once got caught up in it. The news section is not the place to be pushing your agenda against gamergate.

I fear that this thread will turn into ugly side really fast…

I mean there is very little I think is worth of saying because in my opiniong doxxing is something only crazy people would do… Sometimes I just wonder why people keep taking these videogames issues so personally. There are plenty of senstive discussion topics, but videogames certainly shouldn't ever be one of them.

Btw this "doxxing" is a whole new term to me so thank you for translating it in your news post, because I'd have been entirely lost otherwise :)

I fear that this thread will turn into ugly side really fast…

I mean there is very little I think is worth of saying because in my opiniong doxxing is something only crazy people would do… Sometimes I just wonder why people keep taking these videogames issues so personally. There are plenty of senstive discussion topics, but videogames certainly shouldn't ever be one of them.

Btw this "doxxing" is a whole new term to me so thank you for translating it in your news post, because I'd have been entirely lost otherwise :)
As someone who only recently left the gamergate camp nobody ever called for doxxing in our communities. There is evidence it's coming from SomethingAwful, a site notorious for stirring up shit on the internet.

We had the case of a heavily Christian site which even reviewed RPG's but the community didn't feel like it pertained to the site's focus. I don't think a list of every woman who ever received a grumpy tweet does.

I don't normally post but I have been following this site for years.

Wow, I can't believe what I am seeing. In my view this is absolutely gaming news. If the article doesn't interest you then just move on to the next one.

As someone a little older it really feels like we are regressing to the views of 30 or 40 years ago. If there were things like this happening to male personalities then it would be news so why isn't it when it is about female personalities? I think it is really sad to realize just how far we HAVEN'T come in seeing everyone as equal.

If there were things like this happening to male personalities then it would be news
Men have lost their jobs because of gamergate. Milo Yiannopoulos had a syringe with an unknown fluid mailed to his house because he was supporting gamergate. Was that covered? No. Gamergate is not related to the focus of this site.

Men have lost their jobs because of gamergate.

Of the many prominent men who have spoken up about this (Tim Schafer, Chris Kluwe, and Patton Oswalt spring to mind) none has been targeted for this kind of harassment.

A woman opens her mouth, and the reaction is swift.

But since you bring it up — who are the men who have lost their jobs, and why?

Men have lost their jobs because of gamergate. Was that covered? No. Gamergate is not related to the focus of this site.

Why did they lose their jobs? I would bet it is not because they were lumped into one category and attacked. I would guess it would be because they were on the attacking side. But I don't know so please enlighten me.

This whole thing seem to be because of the idea of developers doing things to get favor with reporters. That has been going on since the beginning of time and takes many, many different forms. There is no need to try to single out just one type of corruption. All the corruption should be stopped and any attacking of personalities (male or female) just for having an opinion should never be tolerated.

This is a gaming industry issues at the moment and I guess we will have to agree to disagree as to whether or not we want news on this subject.

Of the many prominent men who have spoken up about this (Tim Schafer, Chris Kluwe, and Patton Oswalt spring to mind) none has been targeted for this kind of harassment.

A woman opens her mouth, and the reaction is swift.

But since you bring it up — who are the men who have lost their jobs, and why?
Steve Tom Sawyer was doxxed and his work place called, which resulted in his termination, because he came out in support of gamergate. Boogie2988 and his wife have been doxxed and threatened because he came out in support of gamergate.

Why did they lose their jobs? I would bet it is not because they were lumped into one category and attacked. I would guess it would be because they were on the attacking side. But I don't know so please enlighten me.

This whole thing seem to be because of the idea of developers doing things to get favor with reporters. That has been going on since the beginning of time and takes many, many different forms. There is no need to try to single out just one type of corruption. All the corruption should be stopped and any attacking of personalities (male or female) just for having an opinion should never be tolerated.

This is a gaming industry issues at the moment and I guess we will have to agree to disagree as to whether or not we want news on this subject.
You are clearly ignorant on this. When someone like boogie2988, whose biggest fault is being too nice, is doxxed and threatened because he came out is support of gamergate it's clearly not just 1 side attacking people.

So, all these posts seem to prove that it is indeed a gaming issues and should be reported on from both sides so that everyone can be informed and make up their own mind.

So, all these posts seem to prove that it is indeed a gaming issues and should be reported on from both sides so that everyone can be informed and make up their own mind.
This is a site for news relating to RPGs.

Back
Top Bottom