Video games don't cause more violence, new study finds

lostforever

SasqWatch
Doh!

Found it here,
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...t-video-games-and-youth-violence-9851613.html

Link to the original research paper
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/full

Its fairly clear now (after so many research papers) that being a violent bastard in games does not turn you into a violent bastard in real life. I hope people applies the same logic to other aspects of video games too. I like to pick flowers in games but that does not cause me to pick flowers in real life as well ;)

I guess video gamers aren't so bad after all, eh. If you listen to some quarters they are the most evil scum of the earth. :roll:

I've never been that mad at a video game the most I do is quit and then play later.

I did throw a pop can at the tv once during a lions game though. Maybe they should do a study to see if watching football causes violence.

Social studies are always flawed in some way, I don't put too much stock in them.

I have no doubt that we are influenced by the media we consume, even if it doesn't result in violence, it might result in more uncouth behavior or it might foster feelings of apathy or laziness or a search for instant gratification among other such sensations. We still understand very little as to how the human brain works.

Social studies are always flawed in some way, I don't put too much stock in them.

I have no doubt that we are influenced by the media we consume, even if it doesn't result in violence, it might result in more uncouth behavior or it might foster feelings of apathy or laziness or a search for instant gratification among other such sensations. We still understand very little as to how the human brain works.

Or it could be fear of the unknown. If there's one things humans are good at, it's finding fun things to do with what little free time we poses in our lives, from theatre to gladiatorial spectacle and from knitting circles to golf clubs.

And, without fail, there will always be another section of society who, for whatever reason, attempt to curtail the fun aspects of life with the promise that we could all be doing something more productive.

The fact that the productive element always seems to lead us to either war or slavery is of equal consequence to those who become so addicted to fun that society crumbles in a state lazy apathy.

To quote Douglas Adams (who was probably quoting someone else) "Life is wasted on the living".

I find it interesting how the media pounce on studies that manage to find a causal link between video games and violence, but tend to ignore all those (like this one) that don't. It's easy to see why non-gamers often have such a skewed perspective of the medium. Still, why bother dealing with poverty and social problems when you can just as easily point your finger at something that costs you nothing to change :roll:

I find it interesting how the media pounce on studies that manage to find a causal link between video games and violence, but tend to ignore all those (like this one) that don't. It's easy to see why non-gamers often have such a skewed perspective of the medium. Still, why bother dealing with poverty and social problems when you can just as easily point your finger at something that costs you nothing to change :roll:

All it takes is for the next dude that kills someone to have played any video game in the last 3 years before the crime for the media to scream "VIDEO GAME PLAYER WENT ON A MURDERING RAMPAGE!!!".

Another study in the past found out that video games don't make people more violent - because only those people who already are violent to some degree play games with violence in them ... That's how I remember it ...

Also, video games don't turn normal people into psycho killers. They already have to be that way from the start. Video game violence just desensitizes and lowers the barrier to shoot someone for those already disturbed.

Back
Top Bottom