GOG - Galaxy: Home to over half of The Witcher 3 PC Gamers

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
With the blockbuster hit The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOG could establish their new platform: Galaxy:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC gamers!

One could say that GOG Galaxy is a simply stellar platform. These past couple of days have been full of good news here at the office! First, our partners in crime CD PROJEKT RED told the world that 4 million copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have been sold.
Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!
Headcount:
Over 693,000 gamers worldwide
Volume:
Over 21.5 petabytes of game and bonus content
Achievements:
3.5 million unlocked
Combined game time:
1,770 years (that’s 646,479 full 24-hour days)
See the video below for more stats about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com!

More information.

The Witcher 3 is for GOG that was Halflife 2 for Steam.

So, coupled with that open '4 million sold' letter they sent that means PC sales accounted for around a quarter of their sales, even with it not being available on the older (and more widely owned) ps3/xbox 360 consoles. Sounds round about usual.

It's good that GOG seems to gather some following.
Especially good for indies looking to get a chance at selling their game at a platform bigger than the (now bankrupt) Desure or itch.io.

Galaxy it's still buggy as hell. I'd say that is an alpha build, not a beta. We'll see how it develops in the future.

So, coupled with that open '4 million sold' letter they sent that means PC sales accounted for around a quarter of their sales, even with it not being available on the older (and more widely owned) ps3/xbox 360 consoles. Sounds round about usual.

A third of the sales , there is a 1.3 millions PC players. Galaxy represent only half of them.

[4 divided by 3 = 1.333333]

I wish Galaxy was better at keeping track of time played. As it stands, that feature doesn't seem to work on my PC. I leave Galaxy open while I'm playing and it simply doesn't track my time played. Other than that I like it.

I wish Galaxy was better at keeping track of time played. As it stands, that feature doesn't seem to work on my PC. I leave Galaxy open while I'm playing and it simply doesn't track my time played. Other than that I like it.

Mine count time properly, but only if I leave Galaxy open a few minutes once I leave the game. I suspect the DB update happens after you exit the game and take some times before it is sent and updated.

This is just a cheap trick to try and urge you to opt into this Galaxy thing. I love GoG, but no thanks. Had enough of all that junk with steam.

I give you money, you give me the game. Fair deal.

Well, I don't blame CDPR trying to hype GOG Galaxy. And given Steam's dubious and seemingly out-of-touch policies at times, I do welcome the competition.

That being said, they leave out some obvious points, the largest being they forced many thousands of those people into the GOG Galaxy version with the nVidia promo codes. Then there's the GMG $32/35 pre-release sale which forced GOG Galaxy. It isn't really that so many players chose "freedom of choice". Rather, they wanted the best deal and GOG Galaxy was required (for those who want all the client benefits like Steam provides). But I have no complaints about my GOG Galaxy version. The client is fast, stable, and works.

Anyway, interesting stats on the game itself. Only 51 players reached 100% achievements. I want to eventually reach 100% but it will most likely take 5 years!

Having a GOG key doesn't mean you have to use Galaxy. You can still download the game via the website as before, Galaxy is totally optional.

It would take something monumental to get me to switch to Galaxy for my games. Nothing against it but it's late to the party and 95% of my games are already on steam. Also steams library dwarfs gogs at the moment. I want to have my games in one place as much as possible.

If they were to expand their library and transfer my games to Galaxy for free then I might switch.

In the end at the moment I don't care about gog vs steam. I'm more interested in PC getting 1/3 of the total game sales. Any time PC sales hold thief own against console it's a good thing.

It would take something monumental to get me to switch to Galaxy for my games. Nothing against it but it's late to the party and 95% of my games are already on steam. Also steams library dwarfs gogs at the moment. I want to have my games in one place as much as possible.

If they were to expand their library and transfer my games to Galaxy for free then I might switch.

In the end at the moment I don't care about gog vs steam. I'm more interested in PC getting 1/3 of the total game sales. Any time PC sales hold thief own against console it's a good thing.

I am in the same boat. I have to many games in steam and i too like it in one place.
Also the patch system in steam is faster/easier.

I actually like multiple clients for different games. I just like the idea of having Steam, GOG, and others to use when I need. I even have Raptr which helps to keep track of time played with certain games, and earns me points to spend on free game contests.

I love Steam and Galaxy. Galaxy was much-needed for my GOG collection, since I have many games there.

I like Uplay because it's a good looking program, but I could live without it. Origin I don't really care for.

Having a GOG key doesn't mean you have to use Galaxy. You can still download the game via the website as before, Galaxy is totally optional.

while it is, i had zero interest in downloading 7, 2 gig files. gog galaxy works fine for me.

Except that most of PC sales account for *far* higher profit per unit for them since they pay no fee to console manufacturers and in the case of games sold directly by them there is no cut to the retailer/distribution service.

Even though steam is great and majority of my games are there, for me the main selling point of gog is that I don't need anything "extra" to run games. Thats why I'm not running gog galaxy. I rather enjoy the freedom.

Yes it is optional as others have noted. But I would be really curious to see the percent of Witcher 3 GOG versions that went with the archaic download of .exe method versus the modern client method. I'd wager it's about 98% GOG Galaxy, 2% ancient keep the .exe yourself method.

I know some here love the idea of having the install files and all that, but that's just tedious. With most of us having fast internet, it would take me less time to re-download the entire game than to find some backed up game installer on some hard drive somewhere. Apologies in advance to those who still back up their games to DVD/CD/Floppy. :)

Back
Top Bottom