GTA 5 Thread

Hey all, seems like the latest game informer magazine has a bunch of new info on GTA 5. And man does it sound promising. Here are the links and a summary. The size of the game sounds enormous if they really pull it off like that. And having 3 main characters sounds cool. I just hope it's less realistic and more fun than GTA 4 was.

http://www.gtav.net/news/4473/game-informer-gtav-preview-now-available

And some new screenshots from the game

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=267&t=531419

Too bad they're being jerks about the PC version and not announcing anything. Even thought it's innevitable they'll release it too. I just hope it'll be in better shape than GTA4 was.

I've never played any of the GTA series for moral reasons but I've always been impressed by the feature list of the game (not the crude aspects of the features, but the features they build into the game itself are varied and interesting).

But I just can't bring myself to play this kind of a game. I don't think people are 'evil' who do play the game, it just isn't for me.

I have had a lot of fun with the series since the first game was released for PC. I loved the Vice City setting, and the city of GTA IV was impressively varied and detailed. San Andreas was my favorite though, and this looks like San Andreas on super steroids. Beefed up like Bane overdosed on venom. I'm stoked!

I've never played any of the GTA series for moral reasons but I've always been impressed by the feature list of the game (not the crude aspects of the features, but the features they build into the game itself are varied and interesting).

But I just can't bring myself to play this kind of a game. I don't think people are 'evil' who do play the game, it just isn't for me.

That's exactly me as well. The setting and role turn me off, everything else sounds great.

Not a big fan of the GTA series in general, but I liked Vice City. I thought they really nailed the pseudo-Miami atmosphere, and the soundtrack is great.

I couldn't get into San Andreas because I hated the look of the player-character and the fact that you couldn't change it.

Purchased GTA IV + expansions during the Steam summer sales, but I haven't played it yet.

Not a big fan of the GTA series in general, but I liked Vice City. I thought they really nailed the pseudo-Miami atmosphere, and the soundtrack is great.

I couldn't get into San Andreas because I hated the look of the player-character and the fact that you couldn't change it.

Purchased GTA IV + expansions during the Steam summer sales, but I haven't played it yet.

Vice City is, by far, my favorite GTA. Everything came together - and the whole 80s thing was just perfect. It was truly like stepping back into my childhood :)

San Andreas was better in terms of features and mechanics - but I just couldn't get into the "Da Hood" setting. I don't know - it just didn't appeal to me at all.

GTA4 was very pretty - but instead of expanding the freeroaming stuff, they chose to focus on linear storytelling and the pointless side activities for dates and stuff. Nice enough, but took too much time. They also focused WAY too much on trial and error mission design - which has been a fault of the series for a long time.

D'Art, if your childhood was like GTA, I undestand a few things better now ;)

All I know is that I was a member because I knew some "questionable" individuals who wanted me to join. I never actually did anything gang-like, apart from destroying some property and a few vehicles.

Not very smart - but I was very young and stupid :(

I played only GTA IV and i was hooked. Really expecting the new one. To be honest is the only game i would never suggest to a mom for her kid.

I'm curious, TheMadGamer and GBG, are there other games that you don't play based on moral objections? I'd say murder is a pretty big deal morally, but it's done in just about every game.

When I think about it, it is actually a complicated set of reasoning that is addmittedly flawed. But there is just someting about the spirit of those games that crosses a line with me. Can't quite put my finger on it exactly but in short the contemporary & gratuitous nature of the game rubs my sensibilities the wrong way.

At the same time, I really don't make any judgements toward people who like playing it. The features of the game are admittedly quite interesting.

In the 30 years I've been a gamer, GTA isn't the only game I've steered clear of. I've pobably passed on a dozen or so games / game series because I had moral issues with them for one reason or another. One of the last games that peaked my interest but passed on for similar reasons was Bully.

I've heard a lot about this series in the past, never played any of them because they just seemed too......crude to me. Even just the commercials turned me off, tbh. The open world concepts do sound appealing, though, I have to admit.

-Carn

Tried San Andreas for an hour or so long ago and liked the driving and open world but couldn't stand the culture stereotypes and swearing so stopped. Tried GTA IV from an attractive Steam sale and abandon it after one hour due to continuous graphic problems and, again, cultural stereo types and 'boobies' shoved down my throat - I couldn't stand it.

I'm curious, TheMadGamer and GBG, are there other games that you don't play based on moral objections? I'd say murder is a pretty big deal morally, but it's done in just about every game.

I have avoided the Assassins creed and Hitman series for the same reason. "Moral reasons" makes it sound like more than it is - I do not think playing those games makes you any more amoral than playing Gothic, or any other RPG (which almost all involve a lot of killing, if generally for the good of mankind or some such).
It's more something about the role that I am cast as in those games that makes me feel uncomfortable. It's a role I don't feel like playing. I'll probably make an exception for Dishonored, as I can apparently play that one completely or largely kill-free.

I'm only interested in this if it's available for PC or Mac but I'm not getting my hopes up. The port for GTAIV was horrible...

I have no problems with the morality of these games. You play the kind of character you want to play. It's not like you have to run around and murder people. Yes, you have to shoot and kill other gang members and the like but how is that different than killing other humans in say Fallout or Gothic? And is the main storyline really any worse than Maffia, Max Payne or similar games?

It's not like you have to run around and murder people. Yes, you have to shoot and kill other gang members and the like but how is that different than killing other humans in say Fallout or Gothic?

Completely agree with that. I don't understand why some people would be squeamish about GTA for whatever reasons. It's not as if you're forced to go on killing sprees, and there are many games that are a lot more violent.

Now Postal on the other hand….

Back
Top Bottom