BioWare - Working On An Unreleased Original IP

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Bioware may be working on an additional original IP according to the Linkedin Profile of former Senior Producer Daniel Roy. In the profile it states that he was the senior producer at Bioware for an unreleased original IP from January 2008 - June 2009 (1 year 6 months).

More information.

Again? Meh. I mean, ME and DA were nice, but honestly, why don't they work on D&D or SW again, I'd much prefer that over the kinda dark and gritty new worlds of theirs.

Jade Empire 2 ?

Again? Meh. I mean, ME and DA were nice, but honestly, why don't they work on D&D or SW again, I'd much prefer that over the kinda dark and gritty new worlds of theirs.

Honestly? DA had a far better RPG system than any DnD 3.5 or 2.5 games. And DA wasn't (I haven't finished the game yet, but I played over 60h) really more gritty than Neverwinter or BG. At least story wise - the graphic is a little more bloody but meh).

And I really would like to see more original IPs than the XXth DnD game unless it's like a Mask of the Betrayer 2.

@Alrik
I would like that a lot.

Imagine Dragon Age scope, but Jade Empire setting. Oooh, that has a lot of potential.

Honestly? DA had a far better RPG system than any DnD 3.5 or 2.5 game.

Definitely a matter of opinion. ;)

Imagine Dragon Age scope, but Jade Empire setting. Oooh, that has a lot of potential.

Honestly, I liked JE, but I don't think I would want a game in that setting to be that long. How about a game with multiple settings, one of them being a pseudo ancient China?

Last edited:
We definitely need more Asian themes. The culture is so rich over here, especially when going back centuries. It is a gold mine for lore.

I don't know why it hasn't been done more often. I mean look at how many Jean Claude movies there are and he sucks big time. If he can make a decent living off of it then any game could do 100x better.

Forget D&D and SW. I would rather take somthing that havent been done thousand times allready, somthing like i.e Runequest.

I know only one computer game based on it and even that loaned only the world history. Id pay lots of money to get into virtual dragon pass!

I'm still hoping for a Forgotten Realms game where you get to visit Kara-Tur. It was referenced multiple times in Baldur's Gate 2.

A friend of mine had the Oriental Adventures rulebook, but we never got around to actually playing it. I just drooled over the monsters and locations.

You have a better memory than I because I can't remember any mention of Kara-Tur, but it's been quite a while since I replayed that one to the very end. That would be great if someone actually made one in that setting.

If you are really interested (and not many people are) Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures has a bunch of adventures set in Kara-Tur. You can read a bunch of reviews for some of the modules here.

Don't let the graphics dissuade you. Those guys have done some amazing things with that ancient gaming engine.

Edit: I read that website too fast. Those reviews aren't just for Kara-Tur. That newsletter just had the worldhack getting a Kara-Tur game up and running and an adventure called Tale of the Twin Dragons that used that worldhack. Here it has the overview of the games that ran on that worldhack, Tale of the Twin Dragons Part 1 and TD: Flight of Fury. I'm definitely going to have to check around for more of these later.

Last edited:
It's said "original IP"... So I don't believe it will have anything to do with Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate or something released before.

But if you ask me, I believe it will be a mixture of everything Bioware made before. And why not? Why shouldn't someone put a kung fu master in some space opera that takes place in prime plane? ;)

What I wish for is steampunk, cyberpunk, post apocalyptic or space western setting and not another fantasy variation.

If you are really interested (and not many people are) Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures has a bunch of adventures set in Kara-Tur. You can read a bunch of reviews for some of the modules here.

Don't let the graphics dissuade you. Those guys have done some amazing things with that ancient gaming engine.

What game engine are they using?

They made the games using Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventure . Though they have a hack called UAshell that enabled them to do some pretty cool things with it. Mind you it's not even close to being on the same level as the graphics produced now, but it's not bad for how old it is. The modules are what makes it great. Tons of different settings to choose from.

Here is some more info if your interested:
http://www.eledar.net/Gaming/Frua/frua.htm
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/jk9t/ua/

FRUA Forum: http://ua.reonis.com/

Dungeon Craft is an attempt to update it slightly (still basic graphics, but better than FRUA)http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

Meh. I mean, ME and DA were nice, but honestly, why don't they work on D&D or SW again, I'd much prefer that over the kinda dark and gritty new worlds of theirs.

D&D? I don't think Atari's dying to have an EA subsidiary working with its IP.

I wouldn't call ME's or DA's worlds or character systems very strong. They certainly wouldn't succeed as PnPs in reverse (though they're doing so for DA, aren't they?): the gameworlds in both are too unoriginal, and the character systems too simplified, even compared to the already-tepid D&D. But both function fine as cRPGs, especially cRPGs of BioWare's mould, so I have no issues with them sticking to it.

Hell I'm always pro-new IP. Just hope it's an original one this time.

A friend of mine had the Oriental Adventures rulebook, but we never got around to actually playing it. I just drooled over the monsters and locations.
I still have my 1st edition AD&D Oriental Adventures. Like you, I never got around to playing it. But I really liked what it had to offer.

There's nothing I'd like to see more than more things set in Planescape (and not just because of Torment, I just love the Planescape campaign setting). But I don't expect Bioware to be the one to take me there. Recent D&D editions have left me utterly cold, as well.

I feel, despite some missteps in game play, Bioware has done a good job with original IPs and am happy with them doing another. Although I agree I'd prefer to see more in the Jade Empire universe than another IP.

Space Vampires with advanced science who land on a planet of magic wielding Dragons. Lots of political intrigue since the Vampires are led by an over-bearing ruler and the Dragons are led by an old-school or nothing Matriarch. The entire Cosmos can only be saved by a solution combing science with magic. :roll:
I thought my guess was as good as anyone's.

No Jade Empire, no SW, please.
I still dream about a huge RPG based on Frank Herbert's Dune. That would be just perfect.

Back
Top Bottom