Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Why Black and Gold?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We've seen umpteen interviews on the Deus Ex: HR art style but CVG finds out why it's black and gold. Because of an ad!
"Okay, so that was just one day... one picture. I think it was like a Sunday, and I saw this black and gold advert - I have no idea what it was. But it just struck me - this could be a great palette, it's never really been used in videogames. It was great for communication, packaging, bags so on," Jacques-Belletête explained.
More information.

I know he's probably a French-Canadian. But that could have been a quote from one of those japanese developers. He fits well with the new management.

Well, what did you expect? It's an art style! It's based on some artists vision of what could look cool in a game setting. Of course it's initially triggered/inspired by something that person saw - and then developed on, using concept sketches etc, until that person think it's right. The trigger might as well be an ad as anything else.

Please note, I'm not making any statements on whether or not the art style is good or if the game looks cool (haven't followed it much). I'm just saying that it's very wierd to bash the guy simply for saying he was initially inspired by the color palette of an ad. Why not?

Who cares how they're inspired, as long as they care about their work.

Personally, judging from the videos, I think the game looks positively fantastic - and I really like this palette.

Its doesn't matter where the source draws from but imo its a bad choice. Its like living life looking through colored glasses - you just don't know what your missing.

Those colors are meant for ads. You don't just go coloring your food black and gold just because a bag looked cool with those colors. Now that's weird. Then again you might be weird that way ;)

I personally hope they tone it down a little bit, since I think it would work better if it was subtler, but I don't mind the black & gold color palette. It certainly makes the game look positively unique, in a market made of browns and greys.

If the gameplay and level design are comparable to the first game, I won't even notice the color palette. :)

deusex.jpg

Its doesn't matter where the source draws from but imo its a bad choice. Its like living life looking through colored glasses - you just don't know what your missing.

Those colors are meant for ads. You don't just go coloring your food black and gold just because a bag looked cool with those colors. Now that's weird. Then again you might be weird that way ;)

It depends on what they're trying to convey.

It seems they're going for a very visual experience, and they're creating a mood and a setting - much like Blade Runner.

Now, I'm a big fan of Ridley Scott's visual aesthetic in films - and I think he's one of the best in the world at creating a strong atmosphere.

A game like Deus Ex - would be perfect for this, and if it's done right - I'll love immersing myself in such a world.

Naturally, gameplay is key - and it won't do anything if the game itself sucks. But, much like music, it can truly enhance the experience - as long as it's consistent and based on a strong vision. If they just slap it on to be "hip", that's another story. But something about the interviews I've read with them, tells me they really DO care about Deus Ex - and I think they're going to do a very good job.

Certainly better than Invisible War :)

I also think that it might not end up being such a good idea. I'm getting more annoyed by it with every video I see. I have no doubt that people who make adverts can potentially be very creative… depends… but what will be impressive for an advert that lasts a few seconds might not work at all for something that lasts hours upon hours.

Admittedly though, the biggest problem I have with it is that it reminds me too much of the photo 'Piss Christ' by Andres Serrano. I… just… can't get that out of my mind

Its doesn't matter where the source draws from but imo its a bad choice.

Now, that's fair enough :) Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

You don't just go coloring your food black and gold just because a bag looked cool with those colors. Now that's weird. Then again you might be weird that way ;)

... I didn't quite understand the "black food" analogy, I must admit :)
I'll just have to add that black and gold isn't exactly unheard of in games...

This screenshot of Hengsha looks a lot, color wise, like Montreal in the winter. About 20 years ago, they changed the street lamp gas in the (Québec) province and everything get a golden hue from snow reflecting the light. ;)

So far, I love the color palette for the game. The other two games were always at night, with grays and more grays as a color palettes. And not all the game is "black & gold". There's whites and blues. The first one is a screenshot (here's a concept art of the same room), the other is a concept art.

They heard of a game called Deus Ex, when they read the advert on the Cd box it inspired them to make a console game sequel.

They were so inspired.......they didn't have time to actually play the game.

Back
Top Bottom