RPGWatch - Kingdom Come Short Q&A

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I had the chance to ask five questions of Jiri Rydl at Warhorse Studios. I tried to get a longer interview, but the developer is busy getting the Alpha ready for Oct. 22nd.

Also in case you missed the last two video updates you can find the 8th development log here, and the new Alpha trailer from yesterday, I also have some new screenshots.

Couchpotato: Thank you for agreeing to answer a few questions in your busy schedule. So my first question would have to be how is development coming along for the game? Any setbacks or other problems?

Jiri Rydl: Sure there are problems, like in any software development process :-] For instance we postponed early alpha access from September to October. But we also were able to move into new offices, hire 50 new people and build our own motion capture studio in last six months, so its obvious we fight some minor issues every day. But the coffee machine is working :-]

Couchpotato: The last update announced the Alpha is targeted for October can you briefly talk about what will be included?

J.R.: As we already mentioned on Kickstarter, this is more or less a technology demo with some basic principles to see. You will be able to walk around small village with a few NPC to watch their day/night routine. It is the starting environment for future updates with horse riding or swords fights.

Couchpotato: Congratulations on achieving the $2 million dollar stretch goal for better voice-overs. A few of our members think the money could of been spent elsewhere, What do you guys think?

J.R.: It is just one of our stretch goals, it doesn't mean that we spent two millions for hiring George Clooney :-] It means that we can try to reach some more worldwide known names to help us with the voice overs. Some backers are already sending their recommendations who they would like to hear, thus you can see that it is important question at least for some of them.

Couchpotato: I was curious if you guys have had any publishers contact you after Daniel Vavra wrote earlier this year that none of them where willing to publish your game?

J.R.: The publishers are still in touch with us, but we dont need each other right now - we have the production costs covered and the game is not ready for publishing :-] But we can talk about possible cooperation in the future again.

Couchpotato: Since your game was one the bigger kickstarters funded this year can you share some your experience with crowd-funding, and maybe give a few pointer for smaller indie developers?

J.R.: Spend a lot of time with the research of both successful and unsuccessful campaigns, invest some money to selected projects to experience the process, prepare all of the updates ahead and be ready to answer a lot of questions during the campaign!
More information.

I hope the questions are good enough , and I will try for a longer interview later. I'll have two more full interviews next so look forward to those.

Update: I'm taking suggestions again, and I'm still working on the Underrail interview.:sweatdrop:

Last edited:
that man is so smart, i want to play him

So two comments for my short interview, but more than twenty for the new review on the website. Is no one interested in this game? :thinking:

This may sound unfair but I rely on feedback, and replies for my time spent on them. If they have no interest from the community I shouldn't bother.:)

To be honest Couch. While I did read it, there isn't that much info to comment on in this interview…
Well it's just not this interview Pladio it's all my interviews. My last full length one barely got nine comment's. As I said I don't get paid so the replies are my currency.

Also I asked for questions about a game last week , and only one member replied. So allow me to say HiddenX I thank you for your interest in every interview.:highfive:

Last edited:
Yeah...I appreciate this and it would be great if you could get longer interview in the future. But this does not contain much new info. But then again I follow this game since its inception (even before it was revealed, Vavra was hinting about working on it since like 2011), so I know all about it. It is my second most anticipated game after Witcher 3 (right alongside Cyberpunk).

Hopefully there will be something to talk about when alpha comes, even if it is just a limited tech alpha to showcase some basic stuff.

Well it's just not this interview Pladio it's all my interviews. My last full length one barely got nine comment's. As I said I don't get paid so the replies are my currency.

Also I asked for questions abut a game last week , and only one member replied. So allow me to say HiddenX I thank you for your interest in every interview.:highfive:

Of course, it depends on the game as well :)

I don't read everything. I already spent a lot of time on this website as is :p

Can you check total views for your interviews ? Might be worth seeing and comparing what gathers more interest (not just in replies) between interviews and reviews...

Can you check total views for your interviews ? Might be worth seeing and comparing what gathers more interest (not just in replies) between interviews and reviews…
I have no problem with the page views, but it's the comment I need. Otherwise I have no idea what the reader thinks, or how to improve in future interviews.

It also helps the smaller studios get feedback for their games. :)

I've never seen the comment threads as a place to discuss the news postings or the interwiews itself, but the content of the news posting or the interview.
So if I don't have anything to say about the content, I don't post anything at all.

If you want us to give more feedback, I think you need to implement a quick and easy way to do this besides actually making a posting.
Unfortunately it's not possible to "thumb up" a news bit as long as there isn't at least one comment to it. While I think to understand the technical reasons why it's not possible, I would consequently use it. I'm reading the comments at about 3 AM EST, where the most news bits don't have any comments yet. And I'm too lazy to create one just for being able to "thumb up" the news bit.

Games from smaller studios will by almost by definition get less coverage and less interest from readers unfortunately. This would translate into less comments too I guess.

I also think reviews are likely to be more interesting to most people as you are talking about the final game rarer than promises and so on.

It feels more "real".

Well, at least to me.

Put it up as a feature or something for a short while. I barely even noticed it, because it's seemingly just a short QA about KC: D. It doesn't say anything about the fact that it's actually a Watch QA. Big difference!

As for KC: D, it is looking rather interesting. Also, I think the extra voice overs might actually be a good thing, because I believe the developers are Czech or Polish or something. Not that I mind English with a Czech or Polish accents, but for some strange reason they keep attempting some specific type of English accent that they clearly don't master at all. Getting actors to do it instead is likely to yield much better results, which could be quite helpful for a game that attempts to create an authentic environment.

Put it up as a feature or something for a short while. I barely even noticed it, because it's seemingly just a short QA about KC: D. It doesn't say anything about the fact that it's actually a Watch QA. Big difference!
I would but there was no point to making a new article with only five questions. In hindsight I probably should have named the news-bit different.:))
If you want us to give more feedback, I think you need to implement a quick and easy way to do this besides actually making a posting.
Not a bad idea.:thinking:

Arhu handles the tech side of the website, and I know we have a revamped website in the works. I may have to bring this up with him.

Now I have five full length interviews being posted in the next two weeks, and you guys better comment on them. Or I'll be one angry potato.
smiley-angry004.gif

Last edited:
I would but there was no point to making a new article with only five questions. In hindsight I probably should have named the news-bit different.:))
Not a bad idea.:thinking:

Arhu handles the tech side of the website, and I know we have a revamped website in the works. I may have to bring this up with him.

Now I have five full length interviews being posted in the next two weeks, and you guys better comment on them. Or I'll be one angry potato.
smiley-angry004.gif

At least you'll stay on your couch :D So no fear of retribution.

At least you'll stay on your couch :D So no fear of retribution.
I'm seriously thinking of changing my Avatar image and forum name.:biggrin:

Attachments

• angry_potato_logo.jpg
    angry_potato_logo.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Angry Potato 2.jpg
    Angry Potato 2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
I enjoy all your interviews and appreciate the work that you are investing Couch. :highfive:

Even if someone can't add much to the newsbit, at least everybody can say 'thank you' as a matter-of-course.

Thinking about a few questions for the next interview should be easy, too.

Even if someone can't add much to the newsbit, at least everybody can say 'thank you' as a matter-of-course.
And for exactly that I'd like to have a one-click solution. :)

Couchpotato said:
Also I asked for questions about a game last week , and only one member replied.

Do you mean Outland 17? It probably dont change much but I had some questions prepared for you. But I was busy last days and when I finally come here to post it I was surprised that the topic is gone. Sorry.

Couchpotato said:
I'm seriously thinking of changing my Avatar image and forum name…
Angry Potato

Be carefull or some fanboy will say you mock Angry Joe. :)

I have no problem with the page views, but it's the comment I need. Otherwise I have no idea what the reader thinks, or how to improve in future interviews.

Well, my small feedback:

- IMHO the biggest problem is that you do interviews too soon one after another. There is always one or two under way and you already prepare next. People will quickly lose focus and interest, because you ask for questions all the time. And there are many news each days. So people who doesnt have so much free time for RPGWatch will easily pass over new request because there is so much stuff going. I think that exclusive interviews should be a little more rare and special.

- Sometimes it may be better to wait for more news and stuff (videos) revealed. It will draw more interest.

- You could create basic layout for your own questions which are not needed from us. What is general interest of RPG players? Things like - attributes used in game, non-combat skills (which are more rare nowadays), perks used?, crafting?, combat system basics, favorite RPGs of creators?, story heavy?, open world?, comparison to other titles in the genre, what makes the game unique? …..
And then write it down alongside your request. This way we will see what questions or topics you are already going to ask. It may inspire someone to ask things which are not covered there.

- Before you contact pretty unknown developers you may ask here if people are interested. Thumb up means interest, no reaction means… well… we are sleeping or playing RPGs without breaks. :)

I think most people like to read your interviews even if they are not active.

- Before you contact pretty unknown developers you may ask here if people are interested. Thumb up means interest, no reaction means… well… we are sleeping or playing RPGs without breaks. :)

How should I decide if I'm interested in someone I don't know yet?

Couch does everything right, let us support him a little bit more, give him some more feedback, help him with the questions and show him some respect.

Back
Top Bottom