Why do I play MMOs?

fengzi597

Watcher
http://news.mmosite.com/content/c/2012-04-29/why_are_we_playing_mmos.shtml
The result of an overseas research themed with “Why do I play games” reveals the psychological effects such as achievements, competitions and relations acquired from the games have greater influence than game addiction. Therefore, we play MMOs to satisfy our psychological needs instead of experiencing puzzle solving or grinding.
ndc5640.jpg

It is obvious that most of the players play MMOs to satisfy their psychological needs. And I believe that many people play MMOs for a variety of reasons. For me, exploring a new fantasy world is a very useful way to reduce pressure, which really helps me get away from my real life. So I mostly play it for simple entertainment and seriously don’t care much about how many puzzles I can solve in a mmo. The second reason is that most of my friends play MMOs. It is a lot of fun to beat the crap out of others in pvp with friends.

Anyway why do you play MMOs?

These days I mainly play due to the community of the guild I'm in. I wouldn't be playing at all if my friends quit.

Because of story, if it has any. (I'm currently playing only 1 MMO.)

Short list:

- persistent world
- dynamic/changing content (not world changing more patches, updates, expansions, etc)
- social aspect. I don't group much but I like knowing there are other real people about.
- guilds and social events
- chat (well okay this can be a blessing and a curse)
- sometimes the content can be fun and entertaining. I do enjoy the public invasions in Rift and really like the events in GW2 (beta)

I only play DDO regularly, though I have played some SWTOR and while story and exploration can be important, what keeps me involved in DDO is grouping with people from the Watch in our Guild.

Back
Top Bottom