Is Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition worth the 20 $ price tag?

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
Hello.

So I recently wanted to play BG again and try to complete it this time by killing Sarevok. Last time, I just couldn't manage that.

Hence, I wanted to start a new run but with the widescreen mode this time. But, to do this, I had to install the TuTu mod but was unsuccessful.

When I asked for some help, I was told to buy the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and be done with my headaches.

So, I am willing to do so but I find the price tag a little high.

Is the "new" game worth the price?

Thanks.

Imo, yes. I think the higher resolutions, zoom feature, and better compatibility with newer systems makes it work buying again. What's another $20 for one of the best crpgs ever made?

If price is an issue though, you might want to wait a week or so. I think the Steam spring sale should be coming up soon, and BGEE goes on sale quite often anyways.

Remember that you'll also get some new companions and their personal quests. It's not very much (compared to the scope of the game), but it's fun.

If you can spare the money, I'd say so. It's a much smoother experience out of the box. I did have a bit of hassle using the Beamdog application, but the stand alone installer has worked out very well for me. Even makes sure the game is up to date and has all the patches it needs (similar to Steam and so on).

Well, I had no trouble installing TuTu - but I can't speak to what value money has for you.

Personally, I'm the sort of person who'd gladly pay 20$ for a game I really want (old or not) - if the alternative seems like too much of a hassle.

With the last patch - I do think it's finally worthy of being called Enhanced, even if it's still essentially the exact same experience only with no technical issues and a few new companions.

In short, sure - why not :)

I tried some time ago to install TuTu and whatever other mods with no luck. The process was time consuming and ultimately failed. So for $20 I was glad to save myself the trouble. The irony is I bought it to play the base game with enhanced graphics, etc. I really have no interest in the new NPCs or the arena scenario that was introduced in the EE.

In short I have enjoyed it & don't regret paying the $20.

I'd say it's easily worth 20 bucks, for the sheer lack of hassle alone. I'd have paid much more for it myself, I'm no good at doing patches and such at all.

Very well.

You guys convinced me.

Is there a non drm - steam version? Should I wait for a GOG version?
Either way, I'll wait for a sale. I can wait for one since I have so many games to play and complete.

I just can't play it with the normal vision. My DVD's work fine but I feel like the characters are too big and I can't see anything else on the screen. Having been used to the G3 widescreen tool I used for SOA.

So patience is key. I'll wait for a deal.

Thanks again!

Only if you can't get the old version to run on your OS.

I can get BG running on both Windows 7 and 8. The EE just isn't worth the price tag when the mods for BG do most of the same (asides from that new content of course).

Is there a non drm - steam version? Should I wait for a GOG version?
Either way, I'll wait for a sale. I can wait for one since I have so many games to play and complete.

I just bought it straight from their website. It has a stand alone installer in addition to the Beamdog downloader one. This stand alone installer has no Steam connection or requirement, but BG: EE is available on Steam as well if you prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom