Gothic Gothic 1 Mage Learning Points

Thrasher

Wheeee!
I am banking learning points in Chapter 1 to be a fire mage, then later a water mage. How many learning points should I save for mana and all the circles? 70+95 or 70+70+95 or ? I'd like to know ahead of time how many discretionary points I can spend on one-handed/bow/strength/dexterity and anything else.

Cheers!

I don't remember exactly how many LPs it took to get all six circles, but it's easy enough to look up on the web.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though to be honest. If Gothic 1 has a fault, it's that there's actually too many LPs if you're a thorough player. When I played a mage, I had enough ST and DEX in chapter 6 to use almost any weapon in the game despite being maxed out in magic. You'll also have an overabundance of stat-boosting rings and amulets in the second half of the game.

You'll max out anything you specialize in, so do not waste pots until you hit the cap (pots can add premapoints above the cap).

I agree with JDR13, I replayed Gothic 1 a couple of years ago and was surprised by the number of LPs I could afford to "waste" after maxing out the magic skills despite being only fairly conservative in their use.

Just spend enough points on combat stuff to get along, and save the rest.

Yeah just wondering how many I'll need and whether I can afford to to get bow and sword skills. Killing skeletons and orc warriors is trying in chapter 1.

Cool. Both levels of one-handed melee? Did you put any points into strength and dexterity? Probably hard to remember all this stuff...

Yeah, I probably had more points in dexterity than strength, but I still had more points in strength than a mage should have. Iirc, I had both levels of one-handed melee and a level in two-handed.

If you really farm for XP in Gothic, it's sort of possible to be a jack of all trades. Gothic 2 is vastly different in that aspect.

You need the following:
Circle 1: 10
Circle 2: 15
Circle 3: 20
Circle 4: 25
Circle 5: 30
Circle 6: 40

Total: 140 -> 14 levels.

You can get up to circle 4 rather early and then 5 after joining the water mages. Circle 6 can wait until you've done the temple of the Sleeper, as it's only required to deal with the special templars before reaching the Sleeper.

Generally, you can spend points quite freely in Gothic, but not too freely as a mage. The reason is the whooping 40 points needed for circle 6. If you also want 100 mana (which you should), you'll have about 8-9 levels that you can spend on whatever you want.

Thanks Maylander! That's about 24 levels worth of points, if I read this right.

So the same circles apply to all kinds of magic? For example, a single circle 1 skill, allows one to case any level 1 fire, water, or sect camp spell?

BTW, I've already spent points on sneaking, hunting, strength and dexterity.

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you learn the first circle, you can use any level 1 rune. The same applies to all the circles.

I once decided to see how far I could get but I got help. There's a hammer in the game that requires 22 strength that makes 50 damage. If you know where it is and manage to get there you can get by with that, a bonebow and a +10 dexterity ring.

OK, thanks. Maylander does that total point count assume you do every possible quest and kill (or beat down) everything standing?

What do you mean? The total amount of skill points required is simply what's required. You will most likely end the game around level 30-35, but the last few levels are of little use to you (you get them so late in the game), so I generally consider 300 points the total amount of points you have to spend.

For a mage, I usually go with 1h expert training (master training gives you virtually nothing in Gothic 1) + 55 strength so I can use Raven's Right (70 damage weapon that Raven uses, it looks very smooth with the magician robes and has high enough damage to let you kill most enemies with it if need be). Other than that I learn lockpicking (basic) + all the hunting skills and that's about that. The rest I spend on mana and magic circles.

I played as a Guard/Mage on my big playthrough. You can end up with all 6 circles and many of the skills in the game quite easily if you spend time killing animals before moving from chapter to chapter.

I generally do that as well, but it doesn't really matter in the end. You simply get skill points sooner by doing that, as there is no respawning in Gothic. Instead, there is a fixed set of spawns that is added every chapter, regardless of whether or not you've killed the monsters already present. In other words: Packs will simply grow larger over time.

In total there's a finite amount of experience to be had in the game, though I don't remember exactly how much.

Yeah, so Maylander, when you say there 30-35 levels worth of XP, does that assume you do every quest and kill every monster and beat down every person? Minus 24 for all the mage circles and mana. That leaves 6-9 levels (or 60-90 learning points) for other skills attributes?

Jemy, I have that hammer and spent 15 points on strength to use it. Had to also spend 8 points in dexterity to use the bone bone with a +5 dexterity ring.

At level 14, Orc warriors, swampsharks, shadowbeasts are still too tough for me. I can use arrows to take out snappers and razors from a distance, but melee is a death sentence. Skeletons are tough but doable with melee.

Last edited:
Yeah, so Maylander, when you say there 30-35 levels worth of XP, does that assume you do every quest and kill every monster and beat down every person? Minus 24 for all the mage circles and mana. That leaves 6-9 levels (or 60-90 learning points) for other skills attributes?
Something like that, though you should be fine by clearing in a fairly natural way. There's no need to clear every small corner of the world, as that would only result in a few extra levels.

At level 14, Orc warriors, swampsharks, shadowbeasts are still too tough for me. I can use arrows to take out snappers and razors from a distance, but melee is a death sentence. Skeletons are tough but doable with melee.
Sounds about right. You should start saving some points now and go for circle 3 (10+15+20 = 45 points) as soon as you can + some mana. The fireball is a 3rd circle spell, and will be your go-to spell until you can get Storm of Fire (circle 4).

Back
Top Bottom