Gamestop purchases Impulse

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Hard to tell if this is good news or bad. I personally never bought a game off Impulse. Well here is the newsbit. You can thank gamebanshee for giving this information.

The video game retailer GameStop has stepped into the PC Digital Download marketplace in a big way by purchasing Impulse, the DD service launched in 2008 by Stardock (Demigod, Element: War of Magic).

GameStop Announces Acquisition of Spawn Labs and Agreement to Acquire Impulse, Inc.
Streaming technology company and digital distribution platform further advances GameStop’s digital strategy

GRAPEVINE, Texas—(BUSINESS WIRE)—GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME), the world's largest multichannel video game retailer, today announced the acquisition of Spawn Labs, a streaming technology company. In addition, GameStop announced it has entered into an agreement to purchase Impulse, Inc., a subsidiary of Stardock Systems, Inc., and a leader in digital distribution. The Impulse acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in May 2011.

Spawn Labs, part of the GameStop network, brings patented technology and a talented team of technologists with unique game streaming and virtualization expertise. The Spawn Labs team will work closely with GameStop’s existing R&D group to develop GameStop’s growing suite of digital game products and services.

Once the Spawn Labs integration and testing on a new consumer interface is complete, users will have immediate access to a wide selection of high-definition video games on demand on any Internet-enabled device.

“Our customers are gaming in many locations and on many devices, and we need to deliver the same great immersive experience that they have come to expect,” said GameStop President Tony Bartel. “Spawn Labs and Impulse provide a customer-friendly and publisher-friendly way for us to accomplish this.”

Impulse, Inc. provides a proven digital distribution platform that allows users to quickly and easily find their favorite games and download them to their Internet-connected devices.

J. Paul Raines, chief executive officer of GameStop, said, “With these important acquisitions, we will continue to make appropriate investments related to our multichannel strategy. GameStop is uniquely positioned to be the leader in both the physical and digital gaming space.”

For users, developers and publishers, Impulse will offer three specific components:

* Impulse::Client - allows gamers to have instant access to a library of more than 1,100 games on day one as well as the ability to manage their game-related downloads and purchases.
* Impulse::Reactor – provides content publishers customer friendly DRM and copy protection tools. It also allows developers to enable achievements, account management, friend lists, chat, multiplayer lobbies, and cloud storage within their games.
* Impulse::publisher – allows publishers to manage all aspects of their game with powerful real-time reporting and management tools.

Impulse, Inc. will remain an actively running business with full integration on GameStop.com anticipated within the next few months. To learn more about Impulse, Inc. and Spawn Labs, visit www.impulsedriven.com and www.Spawnlabs.com.

The purchase will not impact existing or newly created accounts as Impulse inc will continue to run as a semi-independent entity, while Stardock confirms this does not impact the development of the Elemental franchise in any way, as per the official FAQ.

Stardock Community FAQ
Statement to the Stardock community:

We at Stardock have always operated with the goal of transparency to our loyal (and awesome) fan base. As such, we understand that many of you will have questions regarding the recent news that Impulse, Inc. has been acquired by GameStop.

Below is an FAQ designed to address what we hope is the majority of your questions. Please understand that during the acquisition phase there will be questions we cannot address due to confidentiality agreements.

Above all else, we want to insure you that service to Impulse will not be affected by this transition and that your accounts are still as valid today as the day you created them.

We cannot express with words the amount of appreciation we have to you, our loyal fans and customers and the support you have shown Stardock and Impulse over the past decade: from Stardock Central to TotalGaming.net to Impulse, Stardock has been on the bleeding edge of digital media innovation since its inception and has a rich history of bringing successful concepts to market first.

We at Stardock look forward to what the future brings for PC gaming, digital distribution and of course, continued innovation at Stardock, Inc.

FAQ

Was Stardock acquired or just Impulse?
GameStop has acquired Impulse, Inc.

How does this affect my account?
There will be no disruption in service to existing or newly created accounts. Impulse will continue to function as normal for existing and new customers. Your current purchases will continue to be available through Impulse, Inc.

Who will handle customer support during the acquisition phase?
For the foreseeable future, nothing will change for customers. Impulse, Inc. will continue to handle customer support.

What happens to the staff?
The staff will be staying with Impulse, Inc.

Will there be layoffs?
We do not anticipate any. All key employees that worked for Impulse, Inc. are continuing with Impulse. Shared resources will be reabsorbed into one of Stardock's other business units.

Is Stardock hiring?
Yes!

What kinds of positions are you hiring for?
Stardock is actively hiring software engineers of all types, project managers, senior developers and artists.

Does this affect the development of the Elemental franchise or the Sins expansion?
It doesn't. Impulse is a separate business unit from Stardock Entertainment

Nooooo :(

I've only bought one game off Impulse but I'll still surely regret Gamestop getting involved in any way whatsoever. It's bad enough that they don't give a rat's ass about PC games in their stores but why must they project that mockery on to other companies?

I've only bought one game off Impulse but I'll still surely regret Gamestop getting involved in any way whatsoever. It's bad enough that they don't give a rat's ass about PC games in their stores but why must they project that mockery on to other companies?

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Gamestop either, for the exact reason you mention. Also because they're starting to get companies to make exclusive DLC that you can only get if you preorder through them.

Crap!!! I bought through impulse as much as possible because Stardock owned it. Oh well, I guess I've been buying too much online anyways. I'll just head on back to the brick & mortar stores.

Last edited:
I don't have any love for PawnStop either, but I have to say it would be nice to see a digital store give Steam a run for its money. Steam taking over PC gaming would be bad for PC gamers and they're pretty much there already.

I still buy boxed versions whenever possible but I'm still forced to use these damn services.

This is probably because the company was in finical trouble over there last game and gamestop gave them a offer they couldn't refuse. Time will tell it it was a good idea.

This is probably because the company was in finical trouble over there last game and gamestop gave them a offer they couldn't refuse. Time will tell it it was a good idea.
Nope. Stardock's got a solid income stream from their Windows Blinds stuff (or whatever it's called) so it's not a case of financial difficulties even though Elemental was a disaster. More likely, it's a combination of the irresistable pile of cash you mention and a desire to "get back to core functions" as a development house rather than dabbling in distribution.

Also because they're starting to get companies to make exclusive DLC that you can only get if you preorder through them.

Yeah. I was browsing through their newest advertisement pampghlet - an they have an exclusive pack for

- the RPG called "Hunted"
- the shooter "Brink"
- L.A. Noire
- Call Of Juarez The Cartell

but sadly not for the game called "Germany's Next Topmodel" ! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom